[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T3 2011 Newbie - Problems with 52 mm steel front shafts

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 22:16:31

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T3 2011 Newbie - Problems with 52 mm steel front shafts
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 23:16:33 

Hi there. I'm new to the T3, it's the second time I drive on a small carpet track (with foam tires), and have (for the second time) problems with the front CVD's. The 2x10mm pins get progressively loose and the shaft seems worn out after about 20 minutes of use. The shaft seems to have hard movement. And when I turn fully with motor on, the vibrations of the wheels are a little bit scary for such a RC-car.

Maybe some of you will have a advice for me ?

I already ordered Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft and hope my problems will be solved with it.

Apologize for my bad english, I'm a french speaking Belgian. :P
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: T3 2011 Newbie - Problems with 52 mm steel front shafts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 17:09:14 

Hello Valale,

I never had problems with shafts. I tight the screws so high, and never it loose. However, you run with foam tyres on carpet, this generate more power, by that reason you can apply little CA on the screws and then tight it. This help you very much.

Regards.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 23:14:19 

Some tips:

1. Grind a small flat in the centre of the pin with a dremel for the grub screw to engage with.
2. Use a small drop of CA glue on the grub screw and tighten it TIGHT !
3. I have occasionally used the longer 12mm pins used for the body posts, and ground them down to approx 11mm, leaving an extra 0.5mm protrusion compared to the standard pins, still with a flat in the centre, this stops them popping out of the yoke if it is a bit worn or bent wider.
4. Make sure that you do not have too much steering lock (22-25 degrees is plenty - measure using the toe-in gauge). Alternatively, leave at least 1mm gap between the steering block and C-Hub.
5. You will still get a certain amount of vibration on full lock with standard drive shafts, the ECS driveshafts will eliminate this, but are more delicate than standard .

HTH
:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 22:42:51 

I would use thread lock instead of CA glue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 23:02:44 

Sorry guys but I am going to have to disagree with a bit of this. I personally would not advise to screw in the grub screw real tight. This actually does not help and there were recent reports on the forum about pins shearing because the screw was too tight. Three points

1. Yes threadlock - I use the the blue the Loctite. I would worry that CA glue would be too runny (?)- if the glue seeps beyond the thread into the assembly you will end up with drive shaft that is partially or fully seized in the joint

2. Yup cutting a slot with a Dremel is a good idea but a better idea (in my book) is to buy the pins with slot already there - in fact don't the newer XRAY kits (T3 & T3 '11) ship with the slotted pins?? Anyway a bag of 10 10mm pins with the slot is real cheap. But if you dont have any get the Dremel out :D

3. Turn the grub screw until you fell it make contact with the pin and leave it at that. With the head of the pin in the slot and threadlock on the screw that pin will not be going anywhere.

actually

4. I do not do this but a lot of people (who swear by it) finish off by putting a length of shrink wrap over the joint

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 16:48:50 

The very best would be to contact your distributor for a set of FREE flat spotted pins as I did. It's not ok that those pins are not included in such a kit. And buying ... 2 pins are at 4,20€ :D and that was the reason for getting them for free. Just out of princip!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 21:57:26 

Thanks for your advices, guys. Before going to the shop to buy new pins with a flat spot (I already asked my dealer once but he didnt' have it in store), I used my dremel to make a flat spot on it, degreased all parts (these were machined with oil, someone told me), and used blue threadlock, but not tightening too much. Il will test this sunday on my carpet track. For the angle of steering, I did respect what was said in the instruction manual (leave a short space between the C-Hub). But I'm still frightened with the amount of vibration on the wheels with mid or full throttle and steering at end points. So I hope the new CVDs will arrive soon... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 01:43:37 

In UK pack of 8 pins with flat spot, £4.00 which I susppose these day is about 4eu :x

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:05:45 
team driver

You need the optional pins with the flat centre. Be sure to use a sufficient amount of Loctite (Blue type). Always keep the driveshafts clean and greased with HUDY Black joint grease. If you use full lock on throttle when the car is standing freely in the air, you will have vibrations. This can not be avoided. The optional ECS driveshafts will decrease this effect however.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 09:28:38