[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Plastic shocks VS aluminium shocks

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 23:32:55

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Plastic shocks VS aluminium shocks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 17:21:24 

Hi guys.
Did you notice that the world champion nt1 was running with plastic shocks? Any ideas why? easier to set the rebound maybe?

Post subject: Re: Plastic shocks VS aluminium shocks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 19:56:30 
team driver

It comes down to personal preference. The main advantage of plastic shocks is that they don't absorb as much heat in hot weather and thus won't change the damping because of this. My opinion is that the bleeding method is simpler for the plastic shocks and thus may save you time while building them. The advantage of aluminum shocks is that they normally have slightly more traction for some reason I can't explain. But this is normally more crucial on an electric car since a nitro car drives differently and is heavier.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 20:12:33 

I was told the aluminium shocks do get some cooling from the wind going under the body making the silicone oil more consistent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 17:40:26 
team driver

Like Hagberg says, plastic shocks are easier to adjust, saving time, plus plastic shocks prevent oil from warming up.
In the US, when the worlds took place air temperature was high and track temperature was also high. With those conditions plastic shocks work very good.

Aluminium shocks on the other hand are far more reliable. They won't break

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:46:47 

Aluminium can be a super conductor, so it will radiate heat away better than plastic in all conditions. I would of thought, although It would probably retain heat compared to plastic which would just start to soften up under heat stress.

If the temperature was very hot and the aluminium was getting warm though it "should" be self cooling compared to plastic.. In theory.

I'd use the Alloy shock mounts if it was my choice...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 01:06:46 

I tested the plastic shocks againts my aluminium shocks on the NT1 Pro yesterday.
I had 450wt shock oil in the alu shocks and 500wt in the plastic. In qualifying my car had a hint of oversteer mid corner then i changed to plastics with the same spring combo (dark blue rears and violet fronts)
I noticed my car had a lot more overall grip. More so on power.

I ended up finishing 3rd 2 laps down off first .3 a lap slower than the guy who came first. Now to work on the on power push