[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Turned steering servo (Alex Hagberg)

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 00:30:13

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Turned steering servo (Alex Hagberg)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 06:58:13 

When you turned the servo I see that you run a 1mm spacer between the servo saver and the link, but I have not seen a good picture of how you tie the other end of the link to the drag bar. I see that the 90* stock mount is trimmed off for clearance during lock to lock, just not sure how that other end is hooked up.

Any picture or description please.

Post subject: Re: Turned steering servo (Alex Hagberg)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06:32 
team driver

I use a 10mm XRAY ballstud, 302655, through the steering rack and fix it with a thin nut on the bottom which I found in some toolbox, this nut is in turn then dremeled down so it does not touch the belt when the diff is used in the upper position. Between the nut and the bearing I use a "reversed" countersunk washer which takes out the pressure from the nut on the bearing. I hope you can understand what I mean. I use a camber link turnbuckle and the closed with hole ball joints.

But, probably the easiest way of doing this is to use a longer screw from under and put a ball which threads onto the screw, a ball which will fit the standard ball joints (not available from XRAY). So then you need only this part and a longer screw... and no dremel work needed. I mount the servo to the chassis with double sided tape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34:47 

I think more or less we got what you mean, but a picture would be very helpful :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 14:19:32 
team driver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 15:33:36 

Have you actually found it makes any difference, or was it just to allow more room for electronics?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 21:24:03 

Thanks very much Alex.

Skiddins, I thought I would try it just because I'm rebuilding my car anyways and we have some down time right now.......Martin said no difference, it would be interesting to hear if Alex feels the same.

I do know that the mod was tried on the 009 as well, and there was a theory that the movement of the servo left to right was less disruptive to handling than a forward/back, supposedly influencing forward dive under braking. Probably need a mini "G" meter to really know if that's for fact or not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 22:40:13 

You can also make the link straighter by adding shims on the servo saver and drilling a 2mm hole in the plastic servo arm.

Not sure if it would handle differently with the link more angled.

Attachments:
'11.JPG
'11.JPG [ 99.25 KiB | Viewed 7582 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 01:09:57 

I spoke to Alex about this at the ETS

The servo in this position makes the steering less aggressive and more precise

This is because to achieve full lock for example, the servo uses a lot more of its travel than in the std position.

I tried it last night and it did feel good. But I didn't find it faster in lap time just a slightly smoother travel.

Stef

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 03:08:32 

I think the longer travel is only because the pivot point for the servo link on the steering posts is slightly further out.
Especially if the servo saver is the standard kit item.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:35:00 

Hi Guys,

Does this help if i do the same conversion on the original T3? Just trying to figure out whether the effect is the same.

Thx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 13:28:23 
team driver

The original T3 has a different steering system. The problem would be to find a mounting point for the link between the servo arm and the steering assembly. Possibly, you can mount it through the quick saver screw (which you can move). The benefit would most likely be the same as when done for the 2011 car.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 03:06:27 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 20:14:00 

You pasting the servo in place with tape or do you make a new hole chassis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 03:58:55 

Alex are you still able to get full throw steering with this mod?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 15:58:36 
team driver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 04:41:48 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:40:43 

It would certainly be better when the servo saver is dead vertical. If the saver has to be moved over on the spline towards the center of the car you are not going to get even steering speeds between left and right.

If you mount the servo link to a screw hole you've made in the arm like the second lot of pictures, instead of above the ball joint like Alex's, you are going to use roughly the same servo resolution as the standard kit setup so there is no point in doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 16:43:12 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 06:31:45 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 20:44:50 
team driver