[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T2'009 More speed in chicanes

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:18:39

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T2'009 More speed in chicanes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 14:54:52 

Hi Guys,

I am back from my race today and I tried a new setup.
See: xform/index.php?act=view&ID=2235&setup=t2_008

The car goes much better than last time but I still have a problem. I am not sure if it is related to the car and its setup or if it is a problem with my driving technics.

If you take a look for the track section in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR43QXMiiJ0
In seconds 0:13 till 0:16 you see the passage I have some problems with. My friend with his TC5 closes in this passage extremely. Its like he is faster in the corners.

How would you drive it?
Or do you see any flaw in my setup?

Thanks,

Cypher

Post subject: Re: T2'009 More speed in chicanes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 15:50:02 

Is the car at 0:13s your car?

That track is very tight and small.

Looking at the other cars as well, you need to free the car up, perhaps reducing some of the grip at the back might help.

I think you need to try and gain quicker and more steering.

I would definitely try a thinner front roll bar, 0.00 front roll centres and less rear toe in.

We can't tell how much grip you have overall, but you probably want the car to be right on the limit of being tail happy.
Your setup looks very safe, but that track isn't fast enough for it.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 19:47:46 

No it is not my car. It is a friends T2'009.

I would say the grip is medium. Never had any traction roll problems, even with lower roll center on lower front arms.
If I steer fast from left to right in the chicanes I see the rear becoming loose. So for me the rear grip doesnt seem to be high.

The rear toe is a thing I would try out. The car goes very nice straight so maybe I can reduce it.
I had the 0 roll center front before and it felt worse than now.

I wonder if I do something wrong in terms of driving technics!?
Normally I brake into the corner. I have the feeling that I cannot go the S as fast as the others. Maybe I slow down too much?
A friend of mine run a T3'011 with basic setup and it looks good. But he says that the T3 is much less nervous than his T2.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 16:03:16 
team driver

You might want to try less downstop for quicker direction change. And to compensate for the loss of traction you can use lighter shock oil.

You also should adjust your front ride height to 5mm only. And use a thinner front swaybar, I suggest 1.4mm. For the shock oil I would suggest 350-400 CST front and rear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 22:20:17 

Unfortunately my order didnt made it till saturday to me. So I had to work with what I got.

First I used the inner ball position for the rear anti-roll bar. That made the rear a little bit more predictable. But still far away from good.
Then I reduced the Ackermann setting on the servo saver to 1. I couldnt really explain the effect but I have the feeling that the car is steering better into the corner.

Then we found out that the tires create problems. I use Sweep 28R QTS with Sweep Red Carpet inserts. It seems that there is too much air in the tire because of the small insert. Over run time I loose more and more grip on the rear.
A friend borrowed me some 28 tires with a big and harder insert. With this the car went totally different. The rear was quite settled. I was totally surprised because I thought a harder insert will remove grip.
So I switched to a set of Schumacher Sorex 28 that I had. Better than the Sweep but a little bit worse that the borrowed tires.

But then I found the main switch: I changed the quick roll center position from 3 to 2. The car had so much grip on the rear that I cannot create any oversteering no matter how hard I was pushing on the steering wheel.
With this I could close on the best time with a delta of 0,05s.

I think I will still test the 1,4 anti-roll bar because with the quick roll center change the steering got a little bit less and less responsive.

Am I right that it would be best to have only as much grip as necessary to have the lowest resistance and the car rolls better through the corners?