[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - 808e - 1st race. Some issues

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 06:28:08

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 808e - 1st race. Some issues
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 07:06:46 

Just finished putting my 808e together and ran the 1st time today. Car ran great and is fast with factory setup and responded well to changes I made - 2nd first time running e-buggy. I run multiple xray cars including T3, XB808 '09, and X10, but this one does seem a bit rushed.

NT1 radio box? Major issue with this. Tekin motor shaft hits the box, and I had to dremel the back corner off of the box but chassis flex is still ramming the shaft into little bit of plastic that is left there. I run a Ko Propo receiver and it barely fits in the box due to the height. Plastic cover works great for onroad racing but mine was lost first time on the track after landing a jump I am sure. It does not even leave enough room to pull out the speed control wire for programming. I have to take out radio tray and remove screws on box everytime I want to make a change. I reprogram my speed control at least once every race day - drop timing/timing advance for main to prevent my motor from overheating in 15 minute race. I had to remove the box to change my pinion as well. Now that I found right pinion for car this will not be an issue.

The pinion does not make full contact with spur either with pinion backed all the way to flat spot on motor shaft. Motor should be about 2 mm toward rear to prevent motor shaft from hitting box and this would allow full contact with spur and pinion. I was surprised to see the issues with the Tekin Motor. It is one of the most commonly run motors. FYI, running 2050kv

No spot to secure transponder. Huge surprise but manageable.

Old shock bladders sent with kit. I expected it to have the ribbed bladders since it came with 1.1mm pistons. Would have ordered them same time as car if I knew it did not. Used last set I had when rebuilding shocks on nitro 808 last week. Shocks became inconsistent at 10-12 minute mark similar to results I have had with nitro kit and old bladders. Shocks are only week part on 808's and only thing I have had any issues with. Seems like xray is working on new shocks judging by one of the team driver's setup sheet.

Ships with silver springs. Needs heavy springs on the e-version for sure to keep it from bottoming out on jumps.

Most people would do this anyway but supplemental instruction sheet needs to indicate to lock-tite screws into metal center diff mount.

Now for the good. Same great xray build quality except for the things mentioned above. I have never had problems with blowing front or rear pinion bearings as many people have, but I am still running same '09 bulkheads on nitro 808 since it came out. Diffs always needed shimmed when new in the past. Maybe I was lucky but my diffs did not need any shims to mesh properly right out of the box. I have no idea what version the new 808e's bulkheads since all the revisions but no issues and do not expect any.

Battery tray is nice and fits new(short) Protek 4cell perfectly. Would like screw holes for speed control but had no issues with servo tape alone. Was able to use very short wires for all electronics.

I was leery to try the recommended 20/10/10 diff setup but it works fantastic in the e-buggy. I will not be changing from this. It suits my driving style perfect. Allowed me to pitch car on 180's and was fast through chicane.

Overall I am very happy with the 808e despite the negatives. Nitro will 1/8th scale will be on the shelf for a while. It is definitely fast and nearly bullet proof like all xrays I own. Surprised it uses an NT1 radio box that does not fit this car very well when anything else would be better. Also surprised at issue with Tekin motors - will be issue for any with same motor shaft length. Everyone running electric 1/8th scale are either running Castle or Tekin at 3 tracks I routinely race at.