[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Final solution for the 808 diff bearing problem

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 18:36:47

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Final solution for the 808 diff bearing problem
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:07:00 

Hi.

I have raced the 808 since its release and I am very satisfied. But I am tired of checking the pinion beairngs every race. In all the races I have ran, I didn`t retire once, except this years first race. I put in new bearings(xrays) before the semi and also ran the final with the same bearings. Two minutes before the end, it broke and I had only frontwheel drive. Lost 2 places in the final beacause of that. I sad to myself, NEVER; NEVER AGAIN :-)

Why not change the pinion system back to something that have worked since the birth of the buggy:-)
I wanted the XB8 driveline system to fit my 808`10. But I also wanted it to be lighter than the old XB8.
The solution is 2 psc of new thinner axels, 2 psc of new smaller pinions, 4 psc of 8x16x5 bearings, 2 psc of other diffbulkheads. The dremel and some brainpower will fix the rest. Parts come from XB8, 808, XT8, Losi, Hot Bodies D8 and they do fit perfect.
I put it all together now and will race it this weekend. The 808 driveline has never been so smooth before when I turn the wheels around. The whole thing will cost something about 60-90 dollars. Is it worth the trouble? Yes, I think so. You will never have to take the car apart to check the driveline before every time You race it again. And the 8x16 bearings are a much better solution than the stupid 13x20 bearings. I must admit that the 3 bearings pinion seems better than the 2 bearing pinion, but I haven`t tested it fully yet. Why did they change something that always have worked perfectly?
I will post some pictures and comments after this weekends races.

Post subject: Re: Final solution for the 808 diff bearing problem
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 18:01:59 

@extra:

do you have some fotos?

sounds interesting....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 19:00:53 

Here`s a movie for You.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB9EPKzbcvk

It shows two types of axels. One fits the 2010 chassis and the other fits the old chassis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 19:39:39 

If the 3 bearing pinion doesn't work i might go for this option! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 20:40:48 

Wow there is some slop in those drive shafts/pins :o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 07:58:13 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 13:15:40 

after every meet check and inspect both front and rear drive pins if you see any wear replace them this is what is causing bearing failer they seem to be too thin ive been replacing them after every 2 meets and have not had a problem also take 1 of the seal covers off the bearing but face it to the inside of the diff bulkhead

jase

p.s any wear on anything will cause problems

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 16:17:31 

Last edited by extra on Sun Aug 15, 2010 09:51:37, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 02:51:47 

I think that this is the Final Solution for the 808!! Tomorrow i will race with a B8RS and it's not because i don't like my Xray, its in fact that i don't have enough € to repair my car every single time :? :? And i might go for this option :!:

The only problem in the 808 in my opinion it's that, the idea of that pinion in the beginning was very smart and innovative, but i think that Xray needs to admit the problem and fix it!!

Please Xray do this for us!!!!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 04:39:51 

Xray, My solution is way better. Please go check the other thread.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 01:14:42 

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk88 ... ure949.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 09:50:30 

What kind of axels are You using? As I can see on the picture, You have only used the XT8 pinon and made a bearingsupport for the 8x16mm bearings. Am I correct? 20mm outside diameter and 16mm inside.
The only difference from my idea is that You probably use the 808 bulkheads. Not everyone has the opertunity to make something like that You have.
Where is the tread You telling us about? More pictures of a complete drivetrain?

A different solution is this, make new bulkheads with room for 13x23 or maybe bigger bearings. Keep the pinion system as is with the 2 bearing pinion. Its too much resistance with 3 bearings. With much bigger bearings the load will be the same as 8x16 bearings. The small balls inside the 13x19 bearings are too small. Bigger is better :-)
I would go for this idea, but I dont have a machine that makes plastic bulkheads LOL...
Then all the other parts on the 808 will fit.
If Xray dont fix this problem for the new car in 2011, I belive there will be a new car, I am afraid that many racers will look the other way and run Losi, MP9............

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 14:46:49 

The thread is just below this one.(2010 pinion bearing problems) I have posted pictures there and there are more to come later today. Heres the deal, I wanted people to be able to fix this issue and in the end still have an Xray 808. These sleeves are easy to make and are the perfect answer. the only non Xray parts on my car are the center drive shafts. They are off an MP9. Even the center brace is usable with slight mod to the front. 2 XT8 pinion gears and 2 sleeves is all you need. All the rest of your 808 parts work perfect. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 14:58:33 

The first thing that hit me with the xray bearing tip was the enormous amount of grease needed. It looks like a fair bit of extra weight and drag to me considering the money you can pay to lose a few grams. An extra bearing..well, same thing really.

I suppose the argument is, we have bought a cutting edge racer and frequent maintenance is part of it. This drive line is the price paid for a narrower, lighter, faster buggy that can't lose pins.
So, if in general, customers are prepared to go back to older systems, then maybe an acceptable maintenance should be just as important. But this is going to need curing without extra weight, width or pin loss, going backwards isn't an option.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 15:03:55 

Just because a new design comes out does NOT mean its better. No other race buggy on the market has this so called upgrade. I never lost a pin once in any of my old Xray's. Its called loctite people.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 15:25:51 

Don't get me wrong, my post wasn't a slight on your idea, I think it looks strong and neat. It was more a message to Xray.
The drive line is still not as free as the XB8, this drag has to cost the fuel economy which is a big deal in racing. No one seemed to notice because the 808 is much lighter so economy stayed the same when it could have been so much better.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 15:31:34 

Im not sure they care about the messages we send. Last year everybody made it loud and clear that the large bearing setup lacked durability for obvious reasons and Xray's answer was an even bigger bearing for 2010. Now its even more unpredictable than before. On the 09 spec I would race 3 events and replace the bearings. The 2010.......second race rear bearing came apart and destroyed the ring and pinion! That was it for me. Thats the only reason Im doing this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 00:01:12 

:O This is a strange problem your all having! I have had an 808 '09 and left ALL the bearings on the entire car in for 1 and a half seasons racing!
Thats racing every week and 4 national rounds a year!
No failures! rear/front diff cases have never needed re shimming nothing!
Guess Im just lucky? as Im not a great driver and I do have the odd knock! :) actually some occasional roof surfing aswell!
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 04:12:21 

Do the tracks in Ireland resemble this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 09:32:06 

With nick's point the track pictured is no different to what we race on in the uk or Ireland, so it's no more brutal. Like nick we see very few if no failuresas 808 owners understand a little maintenance is required. The drive pin point & loctite you understand as well as I but many didn't. Your design looks good & xray will be looking & reading, they will be looking at the advantages & disadvantages of this system so just keep the great ideas coming with your feedback good or bad( it's what we do).
Daz & the grease tip, it is allot of grease but what you will find is it does feel stiff at first but spin it upfor example like every one does to check an engine. Now see how free it is, I get regular 10min + runs so it can't be that bad.
To mader though great bit of engineering.