[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T3 need more rear traction after slow corners

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 08:35:50

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T3 need more rear traction after slow corners
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 21:40:26 

Hi guys,

since i run my T3 it needs more traction after slow corners.
i changed so many things on the car, more toe-in in the rear, low roll center on the rear, high on the front, long wheelbase on the front, short wheelbase on the rear, damper rear inclined max, damper front at hole 5, different diff positons, flex on the chassis, specially on the rear.

the cars works very fine on the whole track, except the 2 slow corners on acceleration.
the cars from the other guys are working, but mine didn't, i have not more power then the other guys.

is a problem known from xray t3?
i already rebuilt the cars also with friends but every thing looks fine and we didn't find a problem, hope somebody can help me.

i already had some bad races because i did mistake on races, car is hard to drive, and in 3 weeks are the Euros and am not very happy with my T3

i am already thinking to run with my 09 car, with which i was very happy and did a c final on the euro last year

thanks

Post subject: Re: T3 need more rear traction after slow corners
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 00:06:52 

What happens to the car out of the slower corners?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 06:45:00 

oversteering, and the oversteering is quite hard to control. while other drivers accelerate in mid-corner, i need to wait till the "corner" is over and it is straight again to accelerate to have no oversteering.

Last edited by Joe Streff on Mon Jul 19, 2010 18:49:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:43:03 

If you want traction out of the corner you need to stand up your rear shocks, then if you want th rotation back you will have to make other adjustments.

I had my shocks in No 2 hole and had this issue powering out of a chicane, but you will always have to find a compromise!! :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 14:38:46 

Try stiffer rear springs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 19:13:56 

ok thank you for your fast reply.
next time i will try to stand up the rear dampers again to get more traction, i though it woud be the opposite.
i also tried the new 1 hole parts rear axles, but will go back to the (inner) 2 holes axle.

considering the rear springs, i changed from f3.2/r2.8 to 2.8/2.6 which made the car easier to drive, also tried 2.8/2.8, but without results of getting more traction

what is a little bit strange on my car, i change and change but the effects on the track are very small or even not noticable.

as i told you before i drove nearly every xray car, with last years 09 car it works nearly perfectly on every track i drove but with the t3 it is really very hard for me.

it really seems that something is strange on my car, but i didn't find out what, but toe-in is symetrical, all suspensions fall down easy, pins are straight...., i rebuilt it some times

next practise will be in some days, i will tell you about the results

greetings joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 23:58:50 
team driver

Have u tried unwinding the front droop screws a little bit?
Also, what about tightening up the the diff a little bit too.
And is the car balanced?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 18:11:55 

This will sound a little off the topic, but make sure that you have put the shock ball in the right way on the upper plastic shock mount, if its correct you should have a bit of a twist/rock motion to it when its secured to the shock tower, if its wrong the shock will be tight to the tower and will have no float and this will make the car act strange in the corners. If you look at the top the ball should have a small spacing between the flange of the ball and the top shock mount (plastic piece).

I followed the instructions as per the assembly, but still managed to not get the float effect so I removed them and re-installed the other way and got the float I was looking for, and some of the strange handling issues also went away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 19:41:16 

Posting your setup will allow us to further help you. Easy fixes are moving your wheelbase back on the car and adding rear camber. Also going thicker on the rear sway bar can help create traction on the T3. Just some ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 23:46:54 
team driver

I'd say the cause of this would be the ackermann setting. Too little ackermann (servo saver too far forward) will cause lots of steering late in the corner.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 01:36:59 

It sounds like you are loading up the outside rear tyre with rear weight transfer, then when you start to apply power coming out of the corner the weight it still over that tyre and it can't get enough grip.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 00:12:43 

Hi Joe,

I really think it's just the front shockoil that's too thick.
The way you describe you car and the changes you have made to it and nothing seems to generate any particular differens leeds me to think of the front shockoil.
If it's too thick it will slow down the weight transfer to the rear and you will simply spinout before the weight has settled and generated any grip in the rear. This is more apparent the harder you accelerate.
You will feel it the most coming out of a slow to medium corner where you want to get on the throttle as soon as possible.

Hope this is it, try it and good luck with your racing !

NIC