[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Q & A With the U.S. Racing Team

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 23:28:08

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Q & A With the U.S. Racing Team
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 15:23:22 

There was a "discussion" (argument) this weekend on proper care and use of the air cleaner on my XT8-09. My stance was that an air filter could be cleaned and re-used with no problems as long as it was cleaned good and oiled properly. Therein was the argument: How much oil to use, what kind, and wether or not to oil the pre-filter.

I would appreciate hearing what you team drivers do to maintain the filters or if you feel they are a one-use type of product.

My method is to clean the foam good with carb cleaner and then soap and water; rinsed thoroughly. I then place them in a sandwich bag and spray K&N air filter oil inside the bag and massage the oil into the foam. Just prior to installation I mash out most of the oil in the foam in BOTH elements of the filter and install.

My method was not approved by the guy I was running with this wekend.
His method is to oil the inner element only, and he places his elements under something heavy, wrapped in a paper towel, to remove all of the oil he can leaving a slight residue.

So, please settle this "discussion" for us. I understand this is not an XRAY specific question. However, the team drivers of the best equipment oughta know this.....or at least have an opinion. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 19:02:02 

Congrats to the XRAY team during the 2010 ROAR Nats... It's nice to see XRAY in the finals for both buggy and truggy.

Josh Wheeler - could you post your setup sheets from the 2010 ROAR Nats for both Truggy and Buggy... Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 21:01:49 
team driver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 22:17:55 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 23:29:56 
team driver

heck ya.....an engine will run better on filter oil than on dirt :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 13:19:50 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 14:58:38 
team driver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 20:14:50 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 20:37:36 
team driver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 00:00:00 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 13:26:49 

Jason do you run the active diffs in either the buggy or truggy or both, do you find an advantage with them or do you prefer the standard diffs with oils to suit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 14:39:51 
team driver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 15:25:07 

Its too bad there isn't video depicting an XT8 with an active diff versus without. I know its most likely a "feel" thing that may not show up on a video, but I would like to see one in action to determine if I need it or not. Im still not quite sure what it even does. I had always been told the two drive differentials HAD to be the same ratio or things just wouldn't work correctly.

Post subject: PANTHER KOMODO DRAGON 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 05:59:01 

Any feedback on these tires Jason? I bought a pair mounted for cheap and used them once and they feel great...just wanna get others feedback on them.

Post subject: Re: PANTHER KOMODO DRAGON 2
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 14:26:19 
team driver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 16:18:21 

I remember the Panther tires working on looser, loamier tracks. They tend to have thicker carcasses than other brands, as well as stiffer rubber compounds so as the track gets drier and harder, they don't work so hot. But with this thick carcass and hard compound they work VERY well on the softer, looser surfaces or when the track gets blue-grooved and has HUGE amounts of grip.

Another great thing about Panther tires is if you dig around on the internet, you can find large amounts of them for REALLY CHEAP.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 16:28:00 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 17:03:15 

Thanks Rocco. There is a lot of information to try and digest with these cars. HAving been a pure-d basher for the last ten years I have been complacent about learning the science of suspension and drivetrain adjustments.
Ultimately, it would be real cool to be able to go "somewhere" and work with some of you guys one-on-one who know these things. I, personally, am better at hands-on learning than trying to read from a book or forum and then apply the information to my car. Unfortunately not many in my area have Xray equipment for me to pick it up at my local track.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 19:40:08 

No problem at all! The best thing to do is run as much as possible and always try things out. I am the same kind of learner you are, I don't like reading, I just do... I may find out the hard way, but I actually learn it, not just come to know it haha.

Just set time aside at the track instead of just driving lap after lap after lap etc, sit down make a change. Go back out, see if you can feel what it did. Start with the big changes first to start tinkering. Lighten and thicken the diff oils and see how they work alone, then together with other diff oil weights. Then start moving shock angles, wheelbase, camber, springs, and on and on with the big changes. Once you get a feel of what does what with the bigger changes, then start fine tuning.

This is a daunting, time consuming, significant other displeasing task, but if you want to learn, this is how it's done!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 19:45:54 
team driver

Rocco for Janitorial Counsel President!!! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next