[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Motor issue after jumps...?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 07:14:34

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Motor issue after jumps...?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 18:32:11 

I bought this used Novarossi 21-5k motor and for a steal. Still tons of compression and everything seems good. Only thing is sometimes after big jumps when the buggy lands the motor shuts off. I bought the buggy used as well so Im I have a couple of things working against me I guess lol. I stripped down the buggy yesterday to change diff oils and to see the state of things and it needs new bearings, not sure if they were still good but to be safe Im ordering new ones.

My question is what would cause the motor to stall after landing? My track is a bit rough so maybe it could just be shock? But im also thinking the motor bearings could be shot. The clutch is also the one that came with the buggy so I know it has considerable amount of time on it. I have already ordered a new clutch. Could it be the clutch not staying engaged?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Motor issue after jumps...?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 04:43:03 

it can be the clutch and it can also be he flywheel being too low.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:34:02 

Could also be that you have the gear mesh between clutch bell and spur gear too tight? The chassis is designed to twist so if you have some big landings that you don't always hit the downramp on you may find the mesh is tightening enough on landing to force the engine to shut off.

The build manual gives pretty clear instructions for setting the mesh, but it feels quite loose compared to what most people are used to setting it at. I find I can really only set it accurately if I take the fuel tank out and set it by eye rather than by feel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 02:01:30 

just reading ur thread there had a similar problem with my 808 cutting out after a jump,in a final it cut out 4 times after jumping the same jump on the track,it wasnt too steep a jump but the landing was flat not a decline,changed the xray clutch for a jvd 4 shoe clutch since and havent had any problems on that jump but the gear mesh is a bit looser so maybe thats what solved the problem,notreally sure to be honest could be the clutch or the gear mesh but something was stallin the engine after that particular type of jump,

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 06:22:22 

Well I just bought a new chassis and a new flywheel/clutch set-up. I hope it all works. If not I'm not opposed to trying that clutch. Also being that it was used I got new diff bearings clutch bearing and in general new bearings all around as well as new center CVDs. I hope it works. I never had clutch mesh issues in the passed but I will make sure that's ok as well. I thank you all for the support sorry for my delayed response. Work's got the best of me lately!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 23:08:06 

Couple of things to look at tony

- Gear Mesh if your not sure about how much pay fold an ur std a4 photocopying paper in half cut strip wide enough to cover the clutch bell gear, remove the tank, loosen the engine postion the engine in angle as per the manual and push hard on the engine to the spur gear and tighten atleast 2 bolts then the remaining 4 and remove the paper strip see the play should be about right.

- Check your bell bearings could be used and locking up.

- check your chassis is not used beyond acceptable thickness or your chassis would bend and cause the flywheel to stop, you can see from the flywheel outer corner facing the engine for any wear for that.

- if you are using a non std clutch system is your flywheel not sticking out of the chassis ?