[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - xray diff rings too soft for ceramic balls?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:21:13

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: xray diff rings too soft for ceramic balls?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 01:29:50 

guys,

since my T2 i have tried ceramic diff balls in my diffs for the main balls and also the thrust. Also with various greases such as the hudy, schumacher and associated with mixed results. With my T3 i am having the best results on the diff with the standard carbide balls and the hudy diff grease on the balls and also the thrust. My diffs are lasting quite a long time in 10.5t and around the expected time for mod racing and are very smooth (still not as good as a BD5 but good). I have tried ceramic balls and also ceramic thrust as well, but always find the diff goes bad much faster, it gets notchy and generally yuck after only a couple of runs in mod, whereas the carbide balls will stay nice for 5-6 runs.

After talking with a few other xray drivers, some are having success with the schumacher rings and ceramic balls, the belief is that the shumacher rings are a harder steel compared to the xray rings, hence everything lasts longer. The lastest schuie comes kit with ceramics.

Now that xray actually has a ceramic balls part# is there any feedback from factory drivers that the diff rings are too soft and should have a harder option part to be used with ceramics?

Chris...

Post subject: Re: xray diff rings too soft for ceramic balls?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 09:42:19 

i run ceramic main balls and thrust using schumacher grease with a regular moly grease on the thrust. with a 4.5 i can easily get 20 runs out of it and it will feel like butter. i find the diff will only go bad if you run it too loose and it slips

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:28:08 

Sounds like you are running it too lose initially and not running the diff in at all. I have almost 70 runs on a ceramic ball diff with a 17.5 and its only just got some minor grittyness. I love the Associated stealth for the balls and their black grease for the thrust but shcumacher works very well if you can find it. I build my diff then tighten it till nearly tight then run it in on the bench holding each wheel while gently applying the throttle for a minute each side. Then tighten on the track till you have your desired slip and leave it alone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 02:07:26 

nah i run in all my diffs and they are definately tight. It's not as ugly as i typed it above. It's a very slight difference in feel of the diff, neither are toasted like you get from a slipping diff, but i'm finding the ceramic loses that smooth as butter feel quicker, although in the long run it would probably last longer than the carbide.

I just find myself rebuilding more often because i want it as smooth as possible.