[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - initial battery cycle charge? Broken new reciever pack?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:30:31

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: initial battery cycle charge? Broken new reciever pack?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 07:07:32 

Hi,

I just got a nt18t and well am eager to get going.
In the instructions that comes with battery it says that I need to cycle charge the reciever pack first. This is done by charging it at 70maH or 0.07A for 12-16 hours. After that leave it for 1 day and then discharge it until it reaches 3.6 volts at 0.7A discharge rate.

Here comes my question. I have charged it for 12 hours and the voltage is only up to 2.8 volts. So even if I charge it 16 hours I will not be able to discharge it because the voltage will be below 3.6 volts? When it came it was only precharged to 1.572 volts? Did I get a bum reciver pack or should I just leave it on for longer so it gets fully charged?

Any one got any idea?

Post subject: Re: initial battery cycle charge? Broken new reciever pack?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 17:44:56 

Type of battery used? Charger? Need more info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:38:10 

Xray original nihm reciever pack.

Swallow intelligent charger..

Seems thou like it is starting to work.. I have charged it and discharged it a coupple of times now and it looks much better now. Now it charges fully again and well seems to be ok.. But strange thing.. Thought only the nickel cadmium ones needed the recycle charging. But oh well.

Any ideas to why this happened is still nice. I am thinking of returning it anyways just to be on safe side..

/stiches

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:16:14 

Do you use the NiCad setting ?
A NiCad battery has a larger delta peak which is to large for NiMh and could damage the battery (the Xray battery is NiMh)

Beside that, charging with a delta peak charger can give errors when charging on a to low current. The current needs to be at least 0.5C for a proper delta peak detection. 0.5C stands for half the capacity of the battery, if it is 1400mAh the lowest charge current on a delta peak charger will be 700mA.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 16:02:34 

No not using NIcad charger.. using for NIMh.

Problem is not charger it was battery pack. But I did not use peak charge function. I set charche rate and end voltage result for fully loaded. But still had to use 1.2A to even get it to charge over 1.572 volts. (4 cells).
But now it seems to have "fixed" it self. chargged it at 1.2 amp and up to 5.5volts.. let it rest for 6 hours and then discharged it to 3.6 or 3.8 volts as per recomended. trest 6 hours and then did the whole thing again.
Now i can charge it with 700MAh fine up to 5.5 volts. Battery is a 700 MAh. SO dont know.. guy at store said they somethimesd need a coupple of recharges before they reach their full potential but dont know if he is right or full of it.

/stiches

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 19:54:23 

New cells do not get the full capacity when charged for the 1st time but they must work properly at the 1st time but only shorter in time. I never do such a low current cycle, todays batteries can handle a direct fast charge on 1C to 1.5C

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 07:24:36 

so what you mean is that I should not worry that the battery pack does not reach 5.5 volts first few times I use it? (it is a 4.8 volt battery pack but fully charged it should read 5.3-5.6 volts with voltmeter)

/stiches

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 08:49:09 

You will know after some charges in use if it performs well or not.
Also with slow charging you will not get such high peak voltages as you do with fast charging.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 15:02:51 

True althou if the battery is not in shape and I do not return it will It not be a bitch to reclaim a new one since this one is broken?
Anyways.. I will use it and just buy another one to have at least 2 packs.

/Stiches

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 07:37:42 

NiMh tricky on first time use. Charging to optimum charge. You may have to charge & discharge up to 3 times. Discharge the pack to .09, on swallow Intellect, used 1amp dicharge rate. Charge on the Swallow at .700ma. to when it stops automatically. Discharge pack as before, an charge at stated before. Do it again for the 3 time. Let the pack rest about an hour before charging. NiMh battery pack can be dischaged to 0V. Thet do not have memory like NiCd's. Be patient it takes time.

Good luck!! Have fun!!!

Keep an eye on it cuz, these Triple A batteries are sensative to heat. should charge over 4.8V. 5.5 may overheat. Later on in the future, when your confortable, you can go to Triple A's six cell pack @1000mah, I did!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 09:07:17 

Charged and disccharged alot more than 3 times already. battery pack is broken from deliverance.. typical.. will go change.. This sucks.

Hate when new shit is broken before I get to break it!..

Ty for all replies and help

/Stiches

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 21:35:33 

12 hour @2.8v shows 2 cell are bad. Triple A pack 4.8v are cheap. You can upgrade to Triple A 6 cell pack only a few buck more. Onlybatterypack.com can get 6 cell 1000mah, 7.2v pack for $17.00 a piece. Good pack for the servos, if useing digital servos.

Good luck!! have fun!!