[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Unstable during acceleration?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 07:20:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Unstable during acceleration?
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 14:36:01 

Dont know how to solve this, my car is very nervous and unstable during initial acceleration on loose tracks, I have tried many different diff setups and my current setup is 5/7/2

Could someone please recommend an easy to drive diff setup, or maybe I should invest in the 41T front crown gear?

Post subject: Re: Unstable during acceleration?
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 22:44:53 

What car are you talking about?

It seems that something might be broken or binding on your car. Check all the diffs and wheel bearings.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 00:36:55 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 03:18:49 

Lower diff oil in the center will help. Like 5/5/3.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 06:51:51 

The car is a 808 2008, car setup is pretty much out of the box xray specs, crimefighter M2
Track is very hard with loose gravel on top causing a very slippery surface, but these on power issues can be noticed on heavy traction grass as well.

Will a 5/5/2 diff setup calm down my rear end?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 16:13:01 

If it's on-power stability you want, go up in your rear diff and down in the center.

I pretty much run 555 or 557 EVERYWHERE because of how stable on power it is.

Going lower in the rear diff only makes it harder to drive straight on-power.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 16:57:57 

But isnt a stronger rear diff causing more rear wheel drive making it even more unstable on power?

I always thougt you needed more front wheel drive as the front wheels "dragged" the car forward instead of the rear wheels pushing on causing understeer?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 17:32:35 

The thicker rear diff will give more drive as both rear wheels are driving forward rather than one diffing out & spinning giving the feel of a loose rear end. Like Rocco said its diffs that need altering, a 41t gear is used for a different purpose & to improve steering. THe 41t gear does give other side effects & can be used to drag the rear around but not in what your asking.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 08:53:27 

Yes, I wasnt very thrilled with the idea of different axle speeds on a 4WD car, well I have now assembled the car again filled with 5/5/5 oils.

Its going to be interesting to try the car at the track tomorrow.
I have also read that a increased rear negative camber could add on power stability, any truth in this?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 17:10:10 

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 20:45:50 

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 21:14:21 

Tried the 5/5/5 setup on the track now and it really does handle very different then before, the rear end still tends to come out when I get too triggerhappy but it seems to corner better and the car feels more solid.

I tried out a friends pre built Losi 8ight and it was extremely easy to drive but it didnt have that good traction on the straights, looked closer on the car and it felt like it had almost no resistance what so ever in the rear diff, the rear axle felt as the diff was filled with oil thin as water.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 01:40:35 

i poseted a thread frt.center.rear oil.. after running last week go up not down.. i tried 5/5/2, 5/5/6, 5/5/7.... 6 and 7 r best... make your car as long as u can .. I hated to of done this but it worked verywell i ran 2 diferent tires go with a softer/finer/ whatever in the rear harder/bigger up front... I learned a lot by tring to make the car push... by the end of the day i was a lap faster! AKA pre mounts only.. soft's..

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 16:45:15 

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 19:02:24 

Any drawbacks of putting high rear diff ?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 04:08:24 

You must use throttle control from mid corner to corner exit with a thick rear diff or center diff.

How good is your finger?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 07:16:06 

you mean i need to put some throttle at mid of corner and exit right?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 16:18:25 

I higher rear diff oil will make the aggressive on corner entry, but almost understeer on power, so, I personally think it is easier to drive as the rear end 'locks in' better on power.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 04:10:33 

5/5/5 or 2AD/5/5
Longer rear camber links
Increase front droop
Move rear hubs forward (I default to hubs way back in the arms, arms middle F&R.)

Thats what I usually try.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 08:04:10 

Noticed today that my radio had limited my steering so I wasnt able to get full steering, now that I have changed that I am also hoping for better turning 8)