[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - First time XRAY owner here.

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 19:20:41

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: First time XRAY owner here.
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 19:58:02 

Hey,
I just bought my first XRAY and first 1/8 scale buggy. I picked up a used XB808 that was converted to brushless using the RC Monster kit. I'm looking forward to running it when I get it. I'll be running a MMM with 2200kv motor that I pulled from an ERBE along with a 4s lipo. Any suggestions for gearing?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: First time XRAY owner here.
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 22:01:18 

I would start with a 16T pinion gear and the stock 42T spur gear.
Without taking tire ballooning into consideration, that should give you around 38MPH for top speed.

I'm running the same setup in my XB8EC, and it rocks! Its just got SOOOO much power.
The 2200 castle motor is actually a truggy motor, so it's got a bit too much power for buggy.
But if you tone down the punch control on the esc, and use some restraint on the throttle, its a pretty nice setup. :D

If you're planning on racing, find out how long the races are first. The problem with the 2200 on 4S is that you're looking at
around 15min of runtime on a 5000mah battery. So most people tend to go with a lower kv motor and 5S or 6S batteries to
get longer runtimes.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 22:36:53 

I think it's 20 min mains since I'd be running with nitro buggies. Don't think we have an electric 1/8 class here. I'll talk to some of the guys local and see what they do. 2x 4s Lipos is gonna hurt :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 23:36:05 

I don't think the 2200 motor is the right choice for a 20 min main.
If you haven't got it yet, I would rather consider something like the castle 1800kv or tekin 1900kv for 4S.
Then with a 6000mah battery you should be able to do a 20min main.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 23:50:35 

Yeah I allready have the 2200kv from an erbe. Gurss I'll have to pit during the main. Not like I'm gonna be winning. Just learning to race and having fun.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 00:18:02 

Duh! You already said you've got the motor. :oops:
I'm getting just on 17min on a tight smallish track with my 2200 on a 5000mah battery.
So since you've already got it, throw it in and see what happens. I can promise you'll enjoy it! 8)
And if all else fails, just do a pit stop. I think the nitro guys will get a bit upset if you don't do a pit stop anyway. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 17:27:17 

yeah a pit stop isn't bad. I think for some races here it's mandatory for at least 1 pit stop.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 04:56:16 

Hmm getting ready to work on mine tomorrow and I notice in the manual that I downloaded that there is a plate that holds the throttle and steering servos down. Since mine is brushless do I just use the XRAY Steering Servo Mount - Set [XRA356120] to install it?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 05:21:53 

The rc-moster kit for the xb8 comes with a new top plate for the steering servo. But I see that the mount for the 808 doesn't come with one :?: ,
so I would have to assume you just use the servo mounts as you said. Maybe someone else can comment on it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 03:26:58 

I was looking on ebay and I see some chopshops have 10' spec parts for sale such as front and rear suspension arms etc. What if anything is worth upgrading to the 10' spec over my 08' spec?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 22:40:09 

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 03:47:47 

Got the ESC mounted and the servo mounted (just a spare Traxxas 2075 I had laying around) and everything fits fine. Just gotta get a servo horn that'll work until I get a new servo. That plus a new pinion and I should about be ready to get her running :)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 08:11:00 

Sounds like your good to go then!
Just a warning on the traxxas servo, watch those plastic gears. The servo is strong, but the gears strip easy:wink:
Set your servo saver as loose as you can.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 05:47:40 

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:28:49 

If you're not planning on crashing you should be good. :wink:

I used to run hitec 5955 servos in my buggy and truggy until a couple of months ago. The buggy servo started to not respond every now and again. It did last for more than 3 years though. And the one in my truggy is still going strong. They're a bit pricy, but they're just awesome. I'm currently running an ace 1015 in my buggy, and it's been a good servo so far. Only time will tell how good it is.

Personally I like steering servos to have around 200 oz/inch or more torque (although I'm running a futaba with around 150 oz/inch on my xb8ec and it works great) and not more than 0.15 response time.