[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T2'007 best practice for a beginer

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 08:34:17

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T2'007 best practice for a beginer
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 17:18:18 

Hi,

I'm a beginer and would like some help from a general point of view.

The track I drive on is and we drive counter clock wise. I only use the shortest portion because I'm still a beginer, but when I try to go full speed on the line passing the pits, I can't keep control entering the hair pin corner on the left.

The setup sheet is here: xform/index.php?act=view&ID=1500&setup=t2_007
Since I don't have setup tools yet I can't enter all information.

I find quite strange that total weight of the car is not set on setup sheets, anyway I would like to know if my T2'007 is fine with 1415gr. I feel it could have more grip if I add 100 or 200 grams, would that worth it?

Adding some weight on the car would help? Is that a beginer issue (bad driving skills), wrong setup?

I will probably post some videos to show you how it looks.

Thanks for any tips.

(the track is mostly used by nitro drivers so not so easy to find tips for EP people ;-) )

Post subject: Re: T2'007 best practice for a beginer
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 01:57:51 

i have a 007 and love it,i think the best thing to do is talk to the people at your track cause we can see you drive and it may just be your driving style

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 00:59:17 

Hi Mamac, You are in a tricky position but with patience and some effort,a totally solvable position. As 20smoke says, try and find some help at the track. If any of the nitro drivers run 1/10 then they will have all the tools to help you with your setup.

Personally I would not get hung up with the weight question, what you need to focus on is the balance and setup of the car. The problem could be you but it could easily be the setup. You say the car is difficult to control on that bend, what is happening? Is the rear spinning around on you? If it is, is it happening when you slow down to enter the corner, during the corner, or as you accelerate coming out of the corner. You need to get a ride height gauge and a droop setting gauge. If you can get us those settings it will be easier to help you. As a starting point I would suggest you have your car setup as per the default kit setup for the 007. There should be a sheet with your kit, if not you will find it on the Teamxray.com site or someone here will be able to help you on that I am sure.

Looking at your setup sheet

I suspect you need a stiffer spring on the front; one step up, the light blue or two steps to the blue. Did you get other springs with the car,I am sure the 007 in kit form would have had stiffer front springs.

It would be helpful to know what weight spring oil you have.

This one may invite some disagreement but I am not sure a solid one-way is ideal for a beginner. Personally I think a diff would be the best option although for the past 2 or 3 years a solid axle seems to be the preferred option in kits. But I know a number of quite experienced drivers that strugelled to move from a front diff to a solid axle when they bought an 008 and went back to diffs.

Your track is going to come into play on this one but i suspect 36 tyres will be too hard for YOU. I doubt you will be getting sufficient heat in to the tyres to get good grip and you will be better off with 32 or 28.But that is a real difficult one to advise on without knowing you and the track

I cannot get my head around a beginner running a mod engine - although this seems to be popular in the States reading some of the forums (maybe they are running ovals). I think you should go to 17.5 which I am sure you will find a lot easier to control and learn with. The slower you go the longer you will stay on the black stuff and the quicker you will learn and improve. I suspect that maybe you are just entering the left hander too fast, or too fast for your car if it is not setup properly.

Just noticed you don't have a rear wing - you must have a rear wing - that will probably solve all you problems!

You need a camber gauge. Someone at the track will be able to check that for you but camber setting can go off quite quickly especially if you are a beginner so your own gauge will help. Check it before every race if you can.

Check you front toe; you do not want toe-in. If they look as if they are pointing straight ahead, or very slightly outwards you are in the ball park.

Personally I would start off with your Ackerman set in the mid point, ie no. 3; but check the 007 kit setup sheet

HTH helps for starters

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 01:07:11 

PS try and borrow a ride height gauge measure your ride height at each end and measure your uplift at each end. EG at the rear note your ride height and then slowly slide the gauge in until one of the rear wheels just lifts off the floor, ie a playing card thickness not a credit card thickness, note the ride height now. If only one wheel comes up keep sliding the gauge in until the other rear wheel lifts and note the ride height measurement. Get that to us and we will have more to work with.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 07:30:15 

OK, thanks for all those comments, you're really willing to help people :-)

I start to understand what is important.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 22:01:57 

Hi,

After installing a wing and set toe out instead of toe in the car behaves much better and I can now push the throtle to max position on the straight line :-)

I'll buy now setup tools to start fine tunning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 06:30:38 

Hi,

A few month later, and after using Hudy setup tool I can overtake the 1/5th and can go almost as fast as the 1/10th gaz engines :-)

But now I start to have battery issues, that will be a question in another thread.