[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - LIPOS in a T2 008 EU

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 16:32:57

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: LIPOS in a T2 008 EU
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 08:04:14 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45:21 

Hi Woogie, I converted from 4200 Nimhs to Lipo last December and in my view it is a no brainer, yes it is worth it.

1. Performance – we have seen no overall difference. A well maintained Nimh will tend to pull away earlier in the race but you will haul them in. I suspect that top racers still use Nimh packs but they probably get them replenished frequently very cheaply or for free.
We made the A final in a recent round of the SLCC championship running 27T (8 of the finalists had 13.5 brushless) and we had Lipos

2. Balance – people complain about the number of weights you have to add to Lipo to make the 1500gm limit. For us that was a bonus because we could not get below 1550 with 4200s, plus it means we can run at 1500 and have the car perfectly weight balanced

3. Ease of use – what is there to say. No comparison. Race; take the car off the track; whip out the Lipo and stick on the charger; run of to marshal. Repeat this process during the entire day. Get home; charge them up, leave in garage until next Sunday :D

Yes they should be balanced but this does not have to be done too frequently according to the experts. I use fast charge on race day and balance charge when I get home

Cost - they are no more expensive than Nimhs.

Yes a single Nimh pack probably is (although Lipo costs are tumbling) but you have to look at the entire picture.
You do not need as many. You could almost get away with one Lipo pack but certainly 2. For the last few race meetings since my son went over to Lipos we have been running the two cars on 3 Lipo packs. We would need 6 Nimh packs

You would need 3 Nimh packs. I am sure 2 Lipos are cheaper than 3 Nimhs. Of course you have to add the cost of 150+gm of lead weights :D

Then there is the point that Lipos will probably last longer eg twice as long (not based on experience, just based on quoted figures for Lipos ie number of charges, vs how often our Nimh packs have gone duff). So now the cost disadvantage goes out of the window.

I have not done a thorough market survey but get the feeling that the price of a half decent Lipo charger is not any different to a half decent Nimh charger.

So just rough figures

3 nimh at ?40 (easily ?60 depending on what you want)=120. Twice per year over 2 years ?480

2 Lipos lasting 2 years ?100

Charger, well the cheaper version of the BC-6 is ?50 I doubt you can get a comparable Nimh for much less. I am sure cheaper chargers with fewer facilities exist for both technologies

There just does not seem to be any contest here.

Do they fit the 008 – yes they do.
The key measurement is height. Most of the larger capacity Lipos, eg 4900, come in at 23mm height. That JUST fits the 008 without any change. The only consideration is retention. Most Lipos have flat bottoms, as does mine. Orion do batteries, at least around the 3200/3600 capacity, which have scalloped bottoms so fit very nicely into the cell slots. I secure mine with the optional battery bar (I already had one) plus one piece of tape at the rear of the battery, 90 degrees to the chassis centreline, hooked around the top deck.

Which one is best – I am not going to really comment on that. What I will say is that in everything I have read, the view seems to be that there is no difference (in performance). They are just not like Nimhs. If you do convert over you need to change your mind set away from Nimhs, they are totally different.

In terms of the entire package I went for Trakpower; packs, charger/balancer, wiring harness. It all just plugs in straight out of the box. 3 programmes to select; Lipo charge; Lipo balance charge; Lipo fast charge. The electronics then do it all, checking the number of cells in the pack (2) and capacity; it then sets the charge rate automatically

HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45:47 

Hi Woogie, I converted from 4200 Nimhs to Lipo last December and in my view it is a no brainer, yes it is worth it.

1. Performance – we have seen no overall difference. A well maintained Nimh will tend to pull away earlier in the race but you will haul them in. I suspect that top racers still use Nimh packs but they probably get them replenished frequently very cheaply or for free.
We made the A final in a recent round of the SLCC championship running 27T (8 of the finalists had 13.5 brushless) and we had Lipos

2. Balance – people complain about the number of weights you have to add to Lipo to make the 1500gm limit. For us that was a bonus because we could not get below 1550 with 4200s, plus it means we can run at 1500 and have the car perfectly weight balanced

3. Ease of use – what is there to say. No comparison. Race; take the car off the track; whip out the Lipo and stick on the charger; run of to marshal. Repeat this process during the entire day. Get home; charge them up, leave in garage until next Sunday :D

Yes they should be balanced but this does not have to be done too frequently according to the experts. I use fast charge on race day and balance charge when I get home

Cost - they are no more expensive than Nimhs.

Yes a single Nimh pack probably is (although Lipo costs are tumbling) but you have to look at the entire picture.
You do not need as many. You could almost get away with one Lipo pack but certainly 2. For the last few race meetings since my son went over to Lipos we have been running the two cars on 3 Lipo packs. We would need 6 Nimh packs

You would need 3 Nimh packs. I am sure 2 Lipos are cheaper than 3 Nimhs. Of course you have to add the cost of 150+gm of lead weights :D

Then there is the point that Lipos will probably last longer eg twice as long (not based on experience, just based on quoted figures for Lipos ie number of charges, vs how often our Nimh packs have gone duff). So now the cost disadvantage goes out of the window.

I have not done a thorough market survey but get the feeling that the price of a half decent Lipo charger is not any different to a half decent Nimh charger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:47:06 

Oops sorry guys. I got a debug error on send and did not realise the post had actually been posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 05:33:02 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 08:28:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 09:08:00 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 09:47:29 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 08:09:05 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 09:13:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 13:15:56 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 02:59:47 

Hi ... perhaps someone can comment on this - power overdrawn from lipo.

I used a mixture of Nimh and Lipo with the Norsam ISTC ESC. I noticed that after over 10 runs, my orion 3200 lipos lost their punch. I did not change any gearing or setup, the lipos are just not giving the "kick" compared to the first few runs.

Conversely my Nimh charged at 5A consistently give the "kick" the moment I punched out from corner into the long straight. Of course the Nimh does have a shorter battery life.

Was told that my ESC overdrawn from the lipo ... was advised to get the bigger capacity lipo like 5000 over as these bigger capacity ones have better drawn resistence.

Advise ... Comments ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 07:26:20 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 13:41:59 

The application of pseudo-science can lead to some strange conclusions.

There isn't some magical 'max continuous current' where a lipo will suddenly drop voltage. It happens progressively and somewhat linearly with increase in current draw. Two things get you higher voltage under load: more capacity, and more C rating - and the latter is subject to the marketing department's suggestions. But make no mistake: more voltage is helpful at max load (full throttle coming out of a slow corner) and lower load (topped out down the straight).

Output performance does not equal C rating.

Output performance = C rating * capacity
That's effectively the definition of C rating, actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 14:12:41 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 21:17:29 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 01:16:36 

Post subject: Lipo fit
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 15:06:58 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 00:24:33 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:31:08 

This goes a bit offtopic but hope its okay. Do you know countries where modified class allows LiPos and with what motors? We have LiPos allowed only for stock and with 15.5T. I'd love to start driving modified for winter season but having to buy top-end new pricey NiMH for many hundred euros is stupid :? I'd like to suggest some ways to allow LiPos for modified class for local/club races. Any suggestions would be great.

Yesterday I ran stock one quali with NiMH and then loaned TeamOrion 3600 LiPo from a friend... it can't be easier with LiPo! Just charge it for about 30-45min after each run and you are ready to go again!