[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - anyone use AE shock oil?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 01:18:32

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: anyone use AE shock oil?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 19:27:37 

Its at my LHS for a lot less then Xray oil and since it gets dirty so fast I want to change it more often but not worry about $9 bottle of it going so fast.

What would be a good oil weight front and rear with 1.4x4 pistons with dark blue springs?

I was thinking 60F and 50R but according to this site
http://www.twf8.ws/php/index.php?option ... Itemid=175
there is only a difference of 707 and 725 according to the test on the Cts meter.

That doesnt seem like its enough of a difference but what do you guys think?

Also I was using the 1.3x4 pistons but I think they may be a bit too small so I figure 1.4 is right in the middle of 1.3 vs 1.5 and just need to figure out a good AE oil weight. My track is bumpy with several jumps but there is usually one that is pretty big the rest wont be so chassis wrecking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 22:11:40 

what oil were you using in xray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 23:06:49 

600/500

I think I figured it out, since that test was done AE has 1/2 increments so I am going to use 50/45 with 1.4x4 and that should allow me to run a bit thicker oil but have about the same dampening.

I still cant bleed these darn shocks correctly. It either pushes out and then when I loosen the cap to let more oil out and retighten it the shaft will pull in and push out.

Any advice or tricks to this? I am wasting lots of oil so I am glad I am using AE now, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 23:10:05 

Ok hold that thought.

Just talked to the kid at the LHS and he had a good idea I am going to try.

Fill them screw the cap down tight with the shaft all the way out. Then back the cap off a bit and push the rod all the way up to push out the air then retighten the cap.

It makes sense so I will go see if it works now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 00:34:22 

it takes practice. there is a chart that some one made for old,new xray oil compared to losi and ae, i printed one out for myself but cant find the in here to post it for you but i'll keep looking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 00:44:34 

The link doesnt work any longer, I tried.

Man I still cant get the shocks to work right, this is driving me crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 02:06:32 

when you fill them do move the the shaft before puting the cap on to get the air out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 03:20:00 

Luckily I saved it to my hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 04:02:21 

Perfect, that helps alot. Only issue is that why woudl you convert Xray oil back to CPS if it is now cst or used to be cps? The chart is very helpful for the other brands that are measured in "wt".

I think I will be spot on eith AE 50/45 and 1.4x4 hole pistons. That would be closest to 700/600 and that seems to be about what most set ups are on the team drivers. I figure with 1.3 pistons the equivalent is 600/500 which is the JB set up.

I wanted to try the 1.4 pistons since they are in the middle of 1.3 and 1.5 and I figured 1.3 may be too small for a real bumpy track. I wanted to offset that by using the 50/45 AE oils with dark blues so that I could still survive the big jumps but handle the rough stuff.

I hope I have this thinking correct so help me if I am way off.

PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Please help me build a shock I just cant get it. I am logically thinking about this and realize I may need to let the shocks sit about 1-2hrs with the piston in the middle of the shock body. I am doing this since as the oil settles there should be no change in volume regardless of the position of the piston. T

THe issue I am having is that when bleeding te shocks and capping them off the shaft will push very far out from the body. If I try to lossen the cap and push the shaft up a bit then recap it the shaft will draw itself back in when fully extended.

In theory there should be no need to bleed the shock by pushing the piston up in the body to let more oil out. Once the bladder pushes the excess oil out the volume should remain constant regardless of the piston position. To me having to push it up to change the volume means that the oil underneath is not the same as whats above resulting in a difference and hence all my problems.

Any and all input will save me an additional 2 days of fighting with this. I have spent all yesterday and today trying to just get one shock correct. Some how I did it the first time in the build but cant seem to do it again or I just never did it correct in the first place.

Last edited by whitey4311 on Mon Sep 24, 2007 04:05:39, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 04:04:23 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 04:06:26 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 05:55:23 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 07:16:10 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 09:34:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 13:48:34