[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Front Roll Center Question

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 08:23:06

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Front Roll Center Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 18:42:24 

Here is something I have been trying to figure out for a while. I know you can change the front roll center with the upper arm but let's say you start with zero's in the front and zero's in the back of the upper arm. That gives you a certain roll center. Now suppose you change to 1s up in the front and 1s down in the back for the upper arm. Did the roll center change at all?

The reason I am asking is because the roll center changes when you either raise or lower the upper arm. But in my example above, I raised the front of the link and lowered the back of the link the same amount. But then again, maybe it is only the front of the upper arm that matters since the rod is nearer to the front rather than in the center. Does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 19:08:14 

Curious!!! I tought the same thing today, and I was going to post the same question.

Hope someone can explain that to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 21:09:20 

no, it doesnt changes the roll center.
the only time you can change the front roll center is when the lower arm bushings are the same value (1 down front/rear, 0 front rear). when both lower arms bushings is 1 up the arm will contact the outdrive.

the reason for this is when the lower arm bushing are the same value you can change the upper arm bushings without cause bind. (again same value front and rear)

so, you can understand that when you are using full or minimal kickup you forced to adjust the upper arms as well, and therefore you cannot change roll center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 21:10:59 

i forgot to mention, roll center is changed only when the angle between the upper and lower arms is changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 21:44:04 

I was thinking that the front bushings changes the roll center. the rear bushing just keeps the arms from binding in comparison to the lower arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 22:08:08 

Great explanation dotan and you are correct but that is only if you want to prevent binding. Of course you would want to prevent binding but for the sake of understanding let's assume you don't change the lower arm position. Would the roll center have changed in my example?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 22:36:37 

well, if the the upper joint on the c hub is absolut vertical to the upper arm hinge pin, and is right on the middle of it, the angle of the upper arm in relation to the lower arm will not change, so as well the roll center.
if it vertical to the hinge pin but closer to the back of the arm and you are using 1 down in the rear, the roll center will be higher, because the angle between the two arms changed, if you are using 1 up, the roll center will be lower. the same will be true if it closer to the front.

try to think of it as a strait line between the joint on the c hub and the hinge pin, and i'm sure it will be clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 22:40:01 

BTW, that is the reason i replaced the upper arm with single link, just like in the rear suspension. now i can change kick up and front roll center without worring about binding. and as a plus my turnbuckles do not bend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 22:41:06 

That still does not answer the question though. I will state the question again and this has to do only with the position of the upper arm:

What if you have zero in the front and zero in the back. Then you change to 1 up in the front and 1 down in the back. Did the roll center change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 22:47:25 

I don't think so, as long as you change your lower and upper arm the same amount, and keep the 'planar' distance between them the same the roll center should no be effected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 22:57:09 

maybe i wasnt clear enough.

when you change to 1 up in the front and 1 down in the rear, the center of the hinge pin stays in same place. so, if the joint on the c hub i exatly in the middle with realtion to hinge pin, it like you have not changed any thing in realtion to the lower arm.

if the joint is more toward the rear of the hinge pin, it will make acutal angle of the arm steeper because at that point the hinge pin is lower than 0 in front and 0 in rear situation. same case if the jiont is more toward the front, but this time is the opposite.

sorry for leting you make all the calculations, but as i sayed on my car i am using different arms, so i dont know the position of the hub in relation the the hinge pin.

also sorry if the explansion isnt very clear, as my english is not the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 23:01:00 

Ok I see where you are getting at. The Chub is more to the front of the hingepin so I guess in that case the roll center does change in my example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 23:06:16 

just remember that the c hub chenges with caster :shock:
too much calculations, i think i will stick with driving, its more fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 23:09:38 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 03:18:05 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 16:32:57