[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Problems With Front Upper Turnbuckles

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 14:12:45

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Problems With Front Upper Turnbuckles
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 00:54:02 

:evil: guys, had some problems with my front upper turnbuckles on my xb8, sunday i went through two. 1 in my 2nd heat and 1 in my final so i lost out big time :cry:

the xb8 was one of the first batch of xb8 luxury out, i went through a turnbuckle awhile back but didnt think nothing off it.

i have read many posts regarding problems with the quality of them and bad batchs, even the new ec sheet states that the old ones break and the new ones bend so you can finish your race :shock:

i emailed mirage in the uk who emailed xray and xray told mirage that it was due to crash damage.

i understand its off road but both times it happened i wasnt going mental,not happy at all.

can some one from xray reply please, i take real good care of my stuff, which annoys me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 04:45:49 

The original XB8 turnbuckles broke too easily. The ones on the TQ were perfect. I don't know why they decided to make them softer for the EC. I have been in some pretty serious crashes and never broke the ones in my TQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:53:34 

The XB8 ones had the thread machined all the way. The new patch had slightly lower thread near the center (making turnbuckle slightly thicker).

The xb8 buckles broke bit too easily, but the new patch thingys last unless you hit something - hard. Ofcourse there can always be a failure in the process that causes the part to crack. But are those broken buckles thicker from the middle or does the thread look the same all the way? If they are the old patch I suggest you get the ones that are thicker from the middle and try not to crash into things. Also there have been some rumours around that the position of the lower arm and the upper arm have something to do with the upper arm braking....

(And in this post I don't talk about EC-buckles because I have no information about those.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:11:53 

hi, thanks for the replys guys. the turnbuckle is the same size all the way through, i will check my other spares to see what they look like aswell.

my kick up and roll centre on the front is set up fine with as little binding as possible, so thats not the problem.

i would like someone from xray to reply of send me a pm, as im not happy with the response i got from them through mirage, im not trying to blag spares as i have spares still, its just the fact there has been many threads and like i stated with the ec sheet-problems with them.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 13:47:27 

not that it helps, but the turnbuckles that are fitted in the pics are the old style that do snap if crashed hard. the older ones are darker in colour and the new lighter (more like the driveshaft colour).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 19:14:54 

Last edited by guy02 on Thu May 03, 2007 19:22:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 19:18:47 

by the way I am trying out the upper arm mod right now
it's nice , front suspension is more free moving
and aeriated around
gives a bit more steering perhaps

but it seems the uprights take all the stress
...they are not made for..
I have a lot of play after a few bad landings....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 19:34:01 

Biggest problem with that is breaking a-arms. All the stress is on the lower arms because the upper flexes so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 19:39:48 

looks good, sounds good, but where is the stability in the front end, what keeps the arms inline and stable. wouldn't this type of set-up put more stress on the lower arm and pins.

just think, when the front tires are pulling, the front arms twist/flex forward putting stress on the lower arms, but now that I'm thinking about it, the rear is set-up this way as well so it may not be a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 19:52:06 

The rear isn't subject to a direct blow on most occasions either ;). You don't land on the rear of your buggy off jumps either, so the front absorbs much more of the impact on most cases. It's basically variable caster, which helps it in the bumps because it just flexes all over the place. It can hurt you in corners and such though. Just my $.02, and I've ran it like that before. Some like it and some don't.

Rocco and I had even thought about dremelling out the webbing on some arms to get crazy flex out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 20:06:56 

like I said
I already have some play on the uprights
who twist and worm onto the pins....
but the TQ arms are strong enough..

but Losi and Hotbodies lightning infact use the same principle
and they aren't doing to bad
but the losi is made for using the arms that way..
but both have a lot of slop in the front

I think I will rebuild to original though
making sure there is no stress on the upper link

Last edited by guy02 on Fri May 04, 2007 11:18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 01:00:19 

guys thanks for the replys :) i want to keep this on topic and get a reply from xray regarding my problems

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 19:52:38 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 22:55:21 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 23:30:41 

I was pitting for glen that day and none of his offs were that bad. I too had a similar problem.

I snapped a few but since i have upgraded to Hong nor ones havent had a problem.

Al