[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Tyre Wear

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 00:24:54

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Tyre Wear
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 22:41:40 

Can anyone tell me why the edges of my tyres are rippling and how can I reduce the tyre wear. I currently run Sorex 24R which is a common choice for our club.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 23:18:26 

my tyres were wearing like this until i changed the camber on the front from 0.5 to 1 degrees and on the back from 1.5 to 2 this was using 4 degrees castor on vtec 24's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:15:39 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 13:08:54 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 18:15:51 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:45:47 

which edge are they wearing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:20:46 

Good question. I missed that and from the desciption I assumed it was the outside edge. If it is in fact the inside edge then reducing the camber and possibly camber change is obviously the way to go. Even then the inside edge will normally deteriorate faster than the outside edge as the inside takes more of the strain during cornering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:00:24 

that because the inside tires scrub right? or is there another reasan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:34:07 

No Tony was right it is the outside egde. The reason I have kept it to 1.5 degrees was because the grip I get is great, but it's costing a fortune in tyres plus someone told me I should never need to go about 2 Degrees Camber.

So as a summary Tony, You recon Increase camber first, then change quick roll centres and finally raise upper camber link on out joint to improve camber gain.

Current Settings are as follows:-

Font Camber Link (pivot) in Outer Hole bottom of tower
Rear Camber Link (pivot) in Upper Inner Hole of tower.

1 mm Shim on Front Outer and 1mm Shim rear Outer.

So If I put front and rear camber up to 2 Degrees all round this would be a good place to start perhaps ?. Also Tyres I am using a VTEC 24R

btw Thanks for your help on this guys....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 13:06:17 

12 scale driver and 200mm ic will adjust camber to keep tyre wear good we even do it on rubber tyred ic cars.

you need as much or as little camber as needed to simply say 2\ it too much is wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:08:35 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:17:26 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 18:15:49 

Would like to clear my concept, if changing the camber gain by moving the inner toplink mounting or by adding extra shims, is the roll centre be also affected, thus the car will handle the corners in a different way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 06:07:27 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 07:50:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 13:43:41 

Ok, changed camber and had to much grip, suffered with bad grip roll now. Anyway here is a picture of the tyre showing the problem I am suffering with on 1.5 degree camber.

I am now running 2.0, but gonna need to get used to the extra response and stop the car grip rolling. And the ripple of on the outside edge of the tyre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 17:23:31 

hey Andy,

after each race meeting do you change the tyres around on the car, I have found this helps reduce the rippling effect on my tyres, on the track friday I found that I was taking the corner by the loop too aggressively from the short straight as soon as as I took the corner more smoothly the lap times dropped and I hadn't got grip roll, from my experience is was only with that corner, not sure if you experienced it anywhere else?

Also the over-head heat heaters were on and they're not usually, many people suffered from grip roll so it may just be a one off.

Hope this helps :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 23:40:30 

Yep was the top corner mate, also was running 1.5 camber but in final put it up to 2 degrees camber and that made it worse...

All I am trying to do is stop the tyre wear thats all and prevent the grip roll. All I need to know is if the tyre wear the picture shows highlights a problem with the setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:59:21 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 13:20:41