[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Spare parts?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Sun Jul 28, 2024 00:22:16

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Spare parts?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 23:58:14 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 00:27:33 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 04:01:04 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 06:03:42 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 07:10:07 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 07:43:22 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 08:14:24 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 18:12:47 

Turanden, so it sounds like you're just getting going on your setups, that's good. The great thing about the XB8 is its adjustability, but you have to make sure your settings are accurate or you'll tune yourself out of a great handling car.

Here is my base setup that I start with at any new track. I know the geometry (roll centers, toe-in/toe-out, shock placement) is pretty standard for the XRAY team. The only thing we differ on will be diff fluids, and maybe slight changes in shock oil weights.

I'd be confident, if you setup your buggy with this setup, you would have a driveable, stable car, with a lot of steering. Also, note on my setup that I am using the aluminum rear uprights with 2 degrees of toe-in at the hub and 1 degree of inboard toe at the inner hinge pins. If you are using the composite hubs, set the inner toe-in for 3 degrees.

Let me know if you have any questions, rmpsocal@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by Rich Panganiban on Sun Jul 09, 2006 19:42:35, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 18:27:13 

Rich, I think that I will use this setup as a starting point then. You had earlier mentioned that a good idea for the kids was to lay down the shocks a bit to take away a bit of the responsiveness. What would you suggest for that, just moving the lower part of the shocks to the outside of the arms, or would you also lay them down some more on the shock tower?

This forum, like I said when I first introduced myself, is one of the big reasons for choosing the XB8 to stick with for a long time to come. It is help like this that just reaffirms that I made the right choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 19:37:36 

That's a good point with receiving great support on your XRAY product from this forum. Another thing you'll find is that the Hudys, as well as most of the team drivers, are on here all the time offering their knowledge, pretty cool.

It was slickrcpilot that made the suggestion on laying down the shocks. In my opinion, making a geometry change like that is a very drastic change. I'll only do that as a last resort if I'm way off on my setup. Personally, if I need to settle the car down, I would do one of the following:

1) Reduce the amount of toe-out up front, maybe to 0 degrees.
2) Raise the front ride height, this slows the weight transfer to the front of the car.
3) A softer rear swaybar, this is really noticeable.

Good luck, and let us know how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 19:44:20 

I almost forgot, make sure you do the front C-Hub modification. It's posted somewhere on this forum. This will allow you to get a little more steering throw by lightly dremeling the front C-hub and steering knuckles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 19:44:52 

...Double post.

Last edited by Rich Panganiban on Sun Jul 09, 2006 23:25:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 23:21:37 

Double post like a noob :D!, lol.

Great pointers Rich.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 23:27:30 

Thanks Adam, I can always count on you to point out my mistakes! Just Kidding.

Are you going to the buggy nats? Too far for me, Truck nats in Vegas in September will be my Nats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 23:32:00 

Nah Rich, wish I could make it though :(. I'm set to graduate this December, so I've got a couple summer classes to knock out and the final for my Spanish class is the same week as Buggy Nats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 03:20:45 

Yes, I after hours of browsing this forum already I had found they steering mod, but I was just not sure that I was going to do it. I am not sure that I want their buggies turning so sharp as it seems to just cause them to oversteer and get them in trouble. Of course if one of them is not able to make a race it will get done right away so that I can run it that day :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 03:31:44 

I have a couple questions. What is going to be the handling difference between the 552 you suggested with the starter setup compared to the 335 that seems to be so popular. A lot of posts that I have read seem to say that the 335 actually makes the buggy easier to drive as it settles down the back end. My son at least could really use this, of course he needs better throttle control, but some help from the setup would be great also.

On the subject or ride height. It may settle the car down, but on the rutted high traction that I run on wont it cause more traction rolls? The kids were having problems with this entering corner to fast and rolling so I took some of the droop out of the front and rear end and this seemed to help a lot, but I am going to use your suggestion and go with max droop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 04:48:58 

Turanden, I'd recommend you do the steering mod anyways. You can always tune out some of the steering if it's too much.

I've run the 3-3-5 before and it doesn't suit my style or the type of tracks I usually run on. It did settle the rear end down entering and in the middle of the corners, but it made it hard for me to "get on the gas" upon exit. I'm sure I would like it if I spent more time getting used to it. 5-5-2 feels the best for my driving style, I can really power out of the corner and it allows the front end to pull the car out of the corner. Try them both when you get a chance, that way you can see the difference.

As far as ride height when the track gets bumpy, it is definitely better to run more ride height. It allows the chassis a little more room to absorb the bumps. If you are traction rolling, look elsewhere: camber, trimming the outside lugs on the tire, roll center changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 05:02:25 

Kewl, I will definately give it a try then. I think after what you have said though I may try the 335. You said it is more stable coming into and in the middle of the corner, but you dont like how it comes out of the corner. The kids really need to have help coming into and the middle of the corner, and the exit speed is not really important at this time. I will have to experiment for awhile to get all this right I am sure, but I think I am getting a great starting point setup. I have completely disassembled all 4 shocks, cleaned them up, and then filled to fronts with 50 and the rear with 40. The only problem is I used Ofna brand and not the Xray, I hope this does not matter too much. I do have Mugen diff silicone coming though as I have read that is not something to mess with. I am thinking or getting the PMB setup station to save some money. I am sure it is not as good as the Hudy though, but I really need a way to measure camber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 17:12:33 

Rich I noticed you and many of the other Team Drivers run the +1 offset in the front. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this? And why don't many ever run increased offset in the rear?