[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Receiving Today!

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 19:27:55

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Receiving Today!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 15:48:36 

Today, FedEx will be dropping off my brand new NT18 and I can't wait! I just have a few questions. What exactly do I need to put this bad boy together? Like do I need allen wrenches, loctite, zipties? J/w because sadly, I don't have every thing in the world in the tools dept. and I want to be prepared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 16:56:42 

Your getting the onroad right? I havent built one of them - but here is a short list of what you will need that isnt included:
- glow plug wrench (preferably with 5.5mm and 7mm sockets on it)
- exacto knife (barely used, doesnt matter if you dont have)
- Slide cutters/wire cutters
- Needle nose pliers
- Bull nose pliers (great for holding things)
- curved scissors/drill for doing the body. You'll also want some good quality model masking tape for this (tamiya stuff is great). You'll also need some paints for this.
- Instant CA (Cyanoacrylate) aka Pink Zap.
- Thread Lock/locktite
- Molybdenum grease
- zip ties (thin ones)
- transmitter, reciever.
- Double sided tape

Now then, what the manual doesnt tell you!
Diffs -
1. xray do not mention putting grease in your diffs - i think its a good idea too so you have a longer life.
2. The ball bearings on the main drive shaft pinion gear & hub need to be set just so. The ball bearings are not easy to move around, use your slide cutters to help you out if you do it up too tight (ie: slide them right up next to each other). You will notice that the bottom of the gear box case (and the top) have two grooves in them that you can line the ball bearings up with, there is also a 1-1 diagram in the manual.

Spur gear
when attaching the spur gear to the plate it is attached to you will notice that you need to line up the screws to the little holes on the spur gear.. you may miss the picture explaining this like i did, and fiddle about trying to get the screws in a hole that is obviously far too large.

Drive Shafts
when making the drive shafts and screwing in the ultra-long grub screw thing you need to screw it all the way though, as it is in the diagram. Again, i kinda missed the idea here ;)

Pivot balls
if you try pressing them down like in the diagrams your going to end up with REALLY sore fingers or bits flying everywhere. I found it nigh on impossible to get the pivot balls in by pusing them down with the tool. Just grab those bull nose pliers and squash them in the quick and easy way. -- If you put a pivot ball in the wrong way just put your screw driver into the end of the pivot ball which has the "sticky out bit" and pry it out.

Front suspension
dont get ahead of yourself here, pay VERY careful attention to the diagrams as far as the direction goes. Ultra important (at least on the 18T)

Fly wheel
the "fly wheel wrench" is any 7mm wrench.. most glow plug wrenches have one of these on it. You can use a pair of pliers to hold the fly wheel in place rahter than a flywheel tool.

Spur gear alignment
Your spur gear should be able to have a very thin piece of paper between it, and still turn - but not really loose! Once you remove the paper, while holding the spur gear in place your clutch bell should be able to move side to side around 0.5mm.

Radio bay
if you use a spektrum SR3000 recieve its a very close fit! You cannot do up the switch or your rx will push the main drive shaft out into a bow shape. Not good. So get your double sided tape, apply it to the radio bay and place the recieve in so that its about 1.5mm from the shaft.

Now apply double sided tape to the inside side of the switch and to the bottom of it, place it in so the base is touching the radio bay and the side is pressed hard up against your rx. If you have the ability to you may wish to shrink wrap your reciever/battery assembly as i seem to get quite a bit of oil/fuel spilage over that way ;)

Disk Breaks
I found it very hard to get these lined up properly, and still are not correct. Place your disk breaks in place and put in one screw loosely. CA the assembly in place so that it is straight as the diagram shows. Do up the existing scew and the additional screw once the CA has set. This was the only way i could get my breaks reasonably straight.

Steering system.
When doing up your steering linkages make sure you have "toe in" on your front wheels. They should point inwards by about 3 degrees when the servo is centred. This is to improve handling. If they are straight or slightly toe out you will find it difficult to keep any semblence of a straight line.

Shocks, piston set explained
The 4 holes will make your shocks not absorb much impact at all, 2 holes will make it so the shock oil has to move past it slower giving you more impact absorbption. I'd stick with the 2 holes as the shocks are very soft already.

Shocks
Fill oil in your shocks until it is around 2mm from the top, move your piston up and down until it almost reaches the surface. Do this 2-3 times then add another 3-4 drops until the oil level is around 1mm from the top.

NT18T - sway bars
If you want to do off roading or convert to a MT, dont bother. These keep your car stable but i've done 720 degree turns on a skid with no sign of getting close to a roll.

brakes
the amount of fuel line the suggest to place against the brakes i found to be too long, brakes were almost always applied at the throttle closed position. 7-8mm i found was ideal, you may find you need longer or shorter.

Gluing of tyres to wheels
Before you do anything with these, first wash the wheels and rubber of the tyres (take out the foams) in water which has dish soap in it, make sure you rinse well. When glueing, first place the tyre onto the wheel as it shold be when it is complete then roll it back and forth a few times on your work bench - these helps even out the foam inside and align the rubber.

Lay the wheel flat one one side - then pull the rubber away from the rim where you will apply glue. put a single small drop of CA into this hole and squeese it in, move around about 1/8th of a turn and pull the rubber away there - if its glued already move around a bit further and do another drop of glue. Do this all the way round then put the tyre aside to work on the next one. Once you have done all 4 flip them over and glue the other side.
[OMG SAUCE!!! If you catch this.. you've read far farther than i thought you would ;)]

If you get one part of the tyre which will not touch against the rim when gluing get a small elastic band and wrap it around the tyre (close to the top). This will hold it in place ;)

Before you break-in
Prime your engine really well. Loosten the glow plug one turn and then cover the exhaust with a finger tip, drop the car on the start box until fuel comes out of the top of the engine. Tighten your glow plug and start away.

Random tips
- Before starting the engine, check your needle settings! Mine were REALLLY lean when i got it, had to richen it massively. I put my needle all the way out so it was flush.
- Set your servo end points on your radio! if you dont you may damage something when you open it too wide ;)
- Get a 50-100ml syringe to fill your fuel tank with. A conventional filler bottle is too damn clumsy and you tend to spill fuel everywhere the first few times. If you must use a filler bottle, tip your car on an angle and just touch the end of your bottle to the tank and pour in slowly.
- If its a cool day/evening, wrap your engine head in alfoil during break in - its the only way you'll ever get it up to temperature ;) I did 4 tanks straight before i started to get to 90C.
- Get a temp gun for break in - borrow one if you cant afford it.
- Make sure you wheels are on tight, the thread should come past the nylon part of your nut, or it wont lock!
- You may notice bubbles in your fuel line, just flick the fuel line a few times and it should *** :-) *** them through.
- Spektrum antennas can be cut really short, check the manual for the exact length.
- If your start box will not turn the engine over, loosten the glow plug one turn and then turn the engine over for 3-4 seconds (no glow heater!) then re-tighten and try again.

PM me if you need anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 17:57:29 

The kit comes w.screw driver & small allen. Loctite you use it only one place motor flanges. Tie wraps come w/it also, it will give you the size you'll need. The rest will come in time. You're a beginner so take your time!! Have fun assembling. We're here to help!! Mark gives some good info, Some are common sense, and just read what the instruction say, they're 99% correct. Just ASK when you're stumpped

Pivot ball, Make sure lt & rt sides, use your thumb to install. DO NOT try to pry them out, you will distort them or scuff them. Use a pin punch and tap them off.

What part of Joicy you located?? Travel to W.Caldwell every 3 months!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 19:43:06 

Mark Harris, I have to say kudos for such a excellent write up and tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 20:55:01 

nice advice you give there mark! very well written

as geezatech says just ask we are a coupel of guys that have build
more than one nt18. (I have build 6 of them so far)

I race only the nt18 and m18 now and have dedicated all my time
track time to this littel awsome car.

feel free to pm me or catch me on messenger if you need help with anything.

/Kenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 23:41:04 

Thanks guys! I'm not as much as a beginner as you think but I have made mistakes and learned from most and more will be made. I, like everyone who has ever assembled anything, know that instructions aren't always 100% clear on what to do and what to use. Thanks guys, I'm almost done assembling it now. Again thanks, and see you guys around!

P.s. Anyone else think the diff. gears should be metal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 00:05:00 

Xray does have the option of Ball Diffs, Adjustable ball diffs,& one-way diff for the front end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 01:15:42 

Alloy diffs would be nice, but i guess we'll see how these go.

One thing i didnt note - Use thread lock on every screw which goes into metal. I wanted to see how it would go without as the manual doesnt mention it and found almost 1/2 my metal on metal screws had come slightly loose. This was after running it for about 1.5 hours. Its got some serious vibration in this wicked little thing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 15:53:27 

Mark! Excellant write up, But! a little long winded!! We dont need all the imformation at one time. The forum is quick with response. Keep them brief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 20:33:18 

Bleh, if your building you need the info now.. not after a 12-24 hour wait for a response... you want that truck up and running as soon as possible if your impatient like me. Can't please everyone though - i'm well aware that it was long but i was trying to get in all the detail that you would need to not be confused :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 22:01:08 

Couldn't take a complement! I said Excellant write up, So you came back with this! People arent like you being impatient.We dont wait 12-24 hour for an reply. We figure it on our own. There is a quote he say,"Thanks guys! I'm not as much as a beginner as you think but I have made mistakes and learned from most and more will be made." That he knows what to do. That make your post long, and not needed. So, what the matter keepin' thing brief!! That's all in this post!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 05:37:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 07:31:08 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 14:00:39 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 15:46:29 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 00:57:33 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 01:05:26 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 16:42:03 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 18:59:35 

Last monday morming, was writing an amswer to muffinman's question. Cuz you guys ignored answering him. my post wasnt exepted. You @ Crazy was on post less then 5 min. 18 yrs I analyzed script for local law enforcement, and you two made thing fishy! Let the readers have their opinion on the post. Administers & moderators have the right to edit, delete anything posted. Not giving out IP's. Only go by a persons profile. Northern hemisphere?? how yo8u know about that! It not on his profile. So you know him!! :) I dont CARE! just let the forum move forward.
Next post I hope its a reply from muffinman. Am interested how thing went! later!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 01:25:02