[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - 28mm fronts rubbing - HELP!

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 08:20:53

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 28mm fronts rubbing - HELP!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 04:41:38 

I just assembled my new T2 today and have a brand new ride with worn parts.

28mm foams (came with the car) on front are rubbing the hubs and the shock pivot cups :?

What's a guy to do? Please don't say I can't run 28mm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 05:11:17 

How do I keep my foam tires from rubbing against the steering blocks?

Either of the following two methods work well:

• Use flat washers, with an inside diameter of 3.5mm, on the outer axle threads in between the hex nut and the rim of both front tires. At least 0.5mm width worth of shimming is needed on each front axle. XRAY 3.5x12x0.2 washers fit perfectly and allow very fine adjustments for track width as well.
• Mount each front foam tire on a tire truer and use a file to trim off 0.5mm from the inner edge of the rim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 05:56:29 

Or buy this hex hub: http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/produc ... goria=1608. Or any other manufacturers hex will work. The ones come with the kit are 5mm you need anything bigger than that...

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 15:29:51 

Thank you all very much for your replies. Building a new car can be aggrevating when it should come out of the box just as perfect as the ads claim it is.

For the money I just spent, you'd think the right hex hubs would be in bag "09"

Thanks again for the help guys! I'll try these things right away.

Have a nice day!

Signed,
T1R+BMI fan :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 19:00:25 

Actually the car is perfect out of the box.. Those tires you got are a freebee from RC America....... Hence it has nothing to with the boys from Slovakia :wink: :wink: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 03:08:57 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 04:45:09 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 16:38:42 

How much you need to shim depends on the ackerman setting you're running and the EPA/dual rate setting on your transmitter.

Here are my thoughts based on my own experience. Usually with foams, the ackerman setting will be minimum and the EPA/dual rate on your transmitter should not be set to turn the wheels anymore than 16.5 degree's for the inner wheel (measured on a setup station). This should keep the outer wheels' (the side that rubs the shock collar/ball end) turning arc at or below 14 degree's. What I have done is reduced the amount of shims in between the front arms suspension holders and the bulkheads by 1mm on each side. Then I used 1mm of large diameter flat composite shims inside the foam tire hexes. This way my track width was where I wanted it and the wheels didn't rub. I believe 0.75mm shims (per the ) are probably the minimum in order to keep the wheels from rubbing.

With the stock minimum ackerman setting, when I have increased my EPA/dual rate to where the inside wheel turns at an arc greater than 16.5 degree's, it makes the car harder to drive as it 'hooks' around the inside wheels contact patch mid corner and scrubs too much speed. With each drivers suspension setup being different, the maximum degree steering arc for the inside wheel may vary though. However, I wouldn't think it will be by much more than 0.5 degrees for foam/carpet racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 16:55:01 

90% of the time I race on tracks that require higher settings. Tracks that are like 50x35 with 4 or 5 180's. Also, just to note it, removing shims from the suspension holders does alter the car's handling. I figure if you can shave .5mm off the wheel, then why not make it correct and not alter the car, shave 2mm off and be done with it. The lack of 2mm on the foam tire is less of an effect than the suspension modifications to make the 28mm foams fit.

Using circular shims on a hex wheel will create unneeded stress on certains areas of the wheel, possibly causing centers to break out easier.

Post subject: Front Wheel Rub
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 01:59:40 

For one, the shims that come with the kit do not fit well enough to keep the front wheels in balance. At top speed on a stand, they wobble like a mad dog. I think that wider hex hubs are the best answer here.

Secondly, yes I have a lot of 28 mm rims but it looks like my son is going to get some hand me downs because I don't see the sense in taking a perfectly fine 28mm tire and cutting 2mm off of it when you can buy 26mm and go racing.

Is anyone really shaving 28mm down to 26mm?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 02:34:21 

i run 28mm foams on my xray t2, the cone wheel washer included in the stock kit are for mounting on the out side of the wheel and not as a spacer. To space my wheels i use hex spacers included with other brand rubber tire rims. check it out they do wonders been using them since the xray t1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 07:23:35 

Had the same problem, was pretty upset when I realized I couldn't even turn. I set up the car just like the instructions showed. I ended up moving all four shocks in (Bottom mount) and picking up two sets of Traxxas wheel hubs ($2 each), I have no problems with the 28mm foams rubbing now.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 13:58:12 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 03:31:00 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 19:41:07