[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - T1.5 - FK05 modification

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 06:37:27

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: T1.5 - FK05 modification
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:51:16 

I just became very upset that I couldn't get a T2 from the first batches, and finally did my version of "T1.5" from the FK05

The main points that changed:
- 0.75 mm lower inside suspension connecting points (A-arms and upper links)
- Flexible upper deck (adviced by Martin Hudy)
- Multiple flexibility settings on main chassis - like the T2
- Everything is lowered by 0.75mm, except for the motor (0.5mm) and the upper deck (1 mm) resulting in lower CG.
- Fast and easy spur gear change - no need to re-tweak, needs only 2-3 mins.

I tried the new car on our local race at this weekend (3 qualification heats, 3 finals), in the 12T modified category.

Despite of the unlucky start - the car needs a bit different setup from the original FK05, so I couldn't make a healthy lap in the 1st and 2nd heats, finally I could find a consistent setup.

During the finals the car became better and better. Finally I could finish on the 3rd place only, but the fastest lap was mine, which seems a very good result for the 1st time, considering that I've thrown the qualification heats into the wastebin.

Main differences in car handling:
- This was the 1st time I felt the car really well balanced
- My main problem has solved with FK05: now I could apply full throttle at the apex of the corners, and the car didn't push, it could be precisely driven on the ideal driving line.

So the changes:

1. Upper deck by Martin Hudy:

2. The main 2.5mm chassis is cut at the front and the rear like the T2. One screw can be removed from the bulkheads to make the chassis more flexible.

3. Rear bulkhead - All legs of the bulkheads are milled 0.75 mm shorter, and one leg is 0.5 mm more shorter - this is the middle leg of front and the front leg of the rear bulkheads. You can see on the picture that the bulkhead's leg does not reach the chassis. When using this screw, I have to use a 0.5mm xray alu spacer between the chassis and bulkhead.
Top deck mount surfaces are milled by an additional 0.25 mm lower, so chassis - top deck distance is 1mm less than on the original car.

4. The motor mount is milled by 0.5-0.5 mm top and bottom, plus it is milled at the bottom to have two legs and not to fit the chassis with full length. The telemetry temperature sensor is also built into the motor mount. The upper deck needed a small modification to fit the motor.

5. Spur change -
- 1. Remove the telemetry RPM sensor.
- 2. Remove the screw securing plastic bearing holder.
- 3. The inner edge of the bearing holder is simply cut in level to the bulkhead's surface, so I can just push the axle to the right side and remove bearing with holder.
- 4. Just bend the spur with axle and remove spur screws. I have to loosen/remove the motor mount to have enough space to put the spur out of the axle. That's 3 more screws only - the whole things takes maximum 3 minutes, and You don't need to re-check setup and re-tweak car.

Last edited by Mhejjas on Wed Feb 15, 2006 19:49:23, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 14:45:08 

Sounds interesting!

I've still my '05 for indoors....

BUT the photó's don't load or very very slow.
Can you post the photo's somewhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 15:36:40 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 19:52:24 

I've put on the pictures on imageshack, it should work now.

Thomasfb: I'm not really sure, but I think that T2 rear and Fk04 front bulkheads are not the same hight, so You can't connect them with a simple top deck. And they are definitely differ in bulkhead width, so at least you have to make your own top deck as well. Better leave it to Juraj :D

As far as I know, there are two main points of self-development:
1. Try to reach your goal with the minimal modification on the car
2. Every single "development" means a thrown race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 23:58:48 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 02:14:30 

Post subject: Modifications
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 05:04:08 

I am very impressed with the modifications you made to your car. I am interested in doing the exact same thing to mine. If you would you be willing to share your knowledge, what tools did you use to cut the lines in your chassis? In addition, what were the dimensions?

Thanks,

Tman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:07:41 

Great job!!!! Very interesting, for whom (like me) is having tons of spares from the 04/05 genretaion and would not move to the T2 (since spares last.. at least).

Give us more details!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 13:53:06 

that is amazing cant let my dad see he has an FK'05 and would love a T2 lol if he were to see this that would be it!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 15:59:50 

Good job! :D I'm interested to know some of the following details for engineering reasons.

What specific differences have you noticed in the handling & performance departments since the change?

What specifically did you need to change in your setup as well?

Anymore thoughts on future setup options you might try with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 17:30:29 

Thanks for everybody, I just came back from a conference and still full of work until tuesday. I'll make the detailed info and answer all questions next week.
Best regards
Miklos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 13:43:27 

My previous setup which was already quite good is the one advised by Martin Hudy by small mods (2.5mm chassis and I had to raise front roll center a bit, originally I couldn't handle the car), already with the top deck cut:
http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/xform/in ... tup=t1fk05

The final setup for the last race is:

The next race (tomorrow) I'll try just soften the chassis for the morning, and no other changes except softening dampers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 03:29:55 

Hey Mhejjas,
Is there any word on how you milled down those bulkheads.

Thanks,
tman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 08:48:11