[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Setup for Kyosho race

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 07:10:55

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Setup for Kyosho race
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 18:24:03 
team driver

Hey, i have been trying lots of different stuff at the kyosho race so i am letting you know that i am posting the setup that i will run at the race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 22:07:23 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 22:35:51 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 04:35:28 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:06:21 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 21:33:01 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 21:58:33 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 02:48:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 03:20:33 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 03:53:22 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 16:20:51 

Well, first off why does the race results on the XRAY site show a 2nd place finish? Maybe someone can pipe in and explain, but the results posted here:

Show him in 3rd and that's what I saw watching the race. However, I left before the trophy ceremony and maybe they changed some things. I'd really like to know what happened with these results...Mario? Someone? Josh didn't finish his last lap and from the lap times even if he did it still would have placed him in 3rd.

I'm not complaining about anything here, just want things kosher! Josh is a top-notch driver and deserves everything good. 'UnKnownDriver' replaces the real driver's name, as I'm not positive who it was.

As far as what happened...it was like 2:50 to go and Josh (2nd) and UnKnownDriver (3rd) got tied up in a corner. As the marshall approached, UnKnownDriver was stuck up under the wing of Josh's car and kept spinning both of them around. UnKnownDriver got free before being marshalled and took off, Josh then got tied up with two other cars coming around the corner. IMHO, the wreck cost him at least 2nd if not 1st. He had to make one more unplanned stop before the end. Seems his engine richened up considerably last half of the race. Stuff happens even at their level. It was really the only bad wreck of the race. Josh fought back the whole race, steadily moving up due to an early multi-car crash.

I'm going to copy Josh's setup for the Kyosho, hope he doesn't mind! :)
His car really looked hooked with forward bite, although it still appeared he had less low-speed steering than the Kyosho and Mugen cars.

I also want to say, that even though my car isn't pictured *sigh*, the photographer did an excellent job. I hope everyone goes to and looks at the pics. The facility is great, everyone was friendly, and there were plenty of parts on-site, both from the hobby shop and hobby shop sponsored trailers that pulled in. I know the guys from Redline R/C had plenty of XRAY parts, in which I purchased some. Food was awesome too!

Again, congrats to XRAY and all of the drivers that attended. I hope one day I can be up there in the A-Main.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 17:06:02 

Congrats Josh on a podium finish.

I know setup is almost everything, but I'm so surprised to read the Mugen's had more low speed steering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 18:10:23 

I believe that he qualified 2nd and finished 3rd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 18:15:47 

Josh's setups are designed to drift a little on top of the track but come out hard of corners. To get the low-speed steering on his setups you really just need to goto Xray light blue springs and/or go down in rear diff oil. I went to 1000 in the rear to get some more low speed out of my setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 18:29:50 

Team Lobo...I was there and I know he qualified 2nd, but what's that got to do with it? Final Results are either correct or incorrect. Final Results, regardless of the names or skill level of the drivers, is important, especially when posted on frequently-browsed websites.

(Final Results) != (Qualifying Position) and vice versa. I'm not trying to sound upset, but I don't understand your post. Pretty simple to see where he qualified by the links I provided. What's contradictory is the final results.

David Joor, any ideas where the Mugen Grey springs fall between the XRAY springs in terms of rate? They definitely seem more progressive than XRAY springs. I ran 5-7-1 in my diffs with the dark blues (1.3 pistons/losi 40 oil/front and 1.4 pistons/losi 35 oil/rear) and my car was definitely hooked, but the tires were too aggressive. It didn't at all seem bouncy except under heavy compression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 19:40:19 

Rears are the same, the front is a bit stiffer, but there is something about the grey spring that just act completely different taking away traction. My car feels better with the Xray light blues, laptimes are better usually better iwth greys but not all the time. I have been testing this lately and trying to get the blues to handle the bumps a tad better because I like how linear they feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 20:23:44 

David,
How was the 1k in the straights under power? Do you run 1k at loamy, loose tracks as well? How long before the fluid burns up and you need to rebuild.

And finally: At what point do you stop w/suspension geometry setup for steering and start w/diff oils to get that last bit of steering, or do you start the other way around?

Sorry to bombard you with 20 questions.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 21:20:41 

I need to test more before I can fully answer that question because during my testing of going back to lighter rear diff oil I was also dealing with some warped pistons. I took the advice of a fellow team mate saying that the shocks worked better if you loosen the nut that holds down the piston just a hair. I did just that and within 5 minutes the pistons were bent, infact I ran my car like that the whole time at US Gas Champs. With the pistons like that and 3k in the rear I was having a hard time with the car straightening up coming out of turns over acceleration bumps. I went to 1k in the rear so it would unload quicker on the bumps and it seemed to have helped a lot. Since than I have been to 3 other tracks, loamy to blue groove and the 1k feels perfect to me. Before every main I take out the diff and remove the gear exposing the internal gears, I will then place a shop paper towel into it and spin the gears with the outdrive to remove as much oil as possible and then refill it to the top of the pins that hold the smaller gears. If this is a bigger race I will remove the gears, clean well, and refill or at least top it back off. Running 1k in the rear is something you have to work at if you want it to be perfect. I may begin to try and do some work to get 2k to be the way I like so I don't have to work as hard.

I always work geometry first and then diffs. It seems lately that the only things I mess with are rear camber link, camber, and shock oil. Everything else I leave where it is, but I have been playing with the rear aluminum uprights as an adjustment, so far 2 degree toe is the setting I like most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 21:53:25 

I think Team Lobo's point was that the list posted on XRay's site IS just the main qualifiers. Looks like they goofed and put that on there instead of the actual race results.

Last edited by FreakOfNature on Mon Jul 04, 2005 23:17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 21:54:50