[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Dirt Through air filter?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 05:14:19

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Dirt Through air filter?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 02:59:38 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 03:07:55 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 03:24:16 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 03:41:36 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 04:28:29 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 04:53:33 

i use the mugen filter setup.... everyone that matter says its the best.... sooo i bought one. sor far so good.

as for oil i use marvel mystery oil and wd40 mixed in a baggie.... smoosh the filter around in that and squeeze&drain filter.... then squeeze in a paper towel....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 05:43:09 

I use BELL RAY dirt bike filter oil (get 100 times the amount for only 4 times the price of rc stuff), it is the same as Associated and other blue colored filter oil brands.
Sticky feeling oils are best for filters as that is what traps dirt the best. Small particles can find their way around a filter and lighter oils such as WD-40 will allow this to happen WD-40 will not harm the filter and is good IN A PINCH .
Your best bet is actual filter oil. Pre-oiling filters will not harm them since the film of oil that gets squeezed around them before installing , gravity will not make it run out and if yours shows signs of oil running to the lowest point of the filter then you used too much oil.
I find if I oil the filter then squeeze it around in a small bag to evenly dispense the oil (you know it is enuf when a bit of excess oil gets squeezed out of the filter) then give it a quick squeeze in a piece of paper towel to ge the excess off of the surface (medium to moist conditions) or skip the paper towel and use a light pre filter for dusty conditions.
I have been in the hobby since I was a kid (about 15 years now) and racing for the last few. I picked up on some great ideas from others who learned from others and I helped come up with some new improved ideas too. My way is the best for me and it works for many others. If you feel there is a better way that works then I would try it out to see for myself.
I have had experience with WD-40 and i would not reccomend it.
*** Also this is important. DO NOT USE K&N FILTER LUBE ON FOAM FILTERS!!!! The foam will be eaten away from the chemicals. I found this out the hard way. Once I put a couple of filter elements pre-oiled in a bag and left them in my box for a couple of weeks. When I got to them to use they were falling apart literally in the bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 05:51:59 

I can wash a filter a few times depending on condition. I use simple green concentrated to fully clean the oil from them and the dirt comes out with the oil. If the filter is damaged or stained from any heavy dirt or oil I trash it. The filter element should if oiled properly not need replacing every run unless dusty or very loose dry dirt.
A little grease around the joints sounds good just as silicone. I will try those ideas.
A good idea is bring a few pre-oiled to the track for race day , change em as needed and keep the dirty ones for cleaning later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 06:01:18 

Do the grease trick on the ends of the filters. For oil I went back to my MX days and have been using some PJ1 airfilter oil. I spray both the inner and the outer on mine.

When you wash the filters make sure you wash them from the inside out. It pushes the dirt out the way it came in and your not trying to push it through the filters...

Dont forget to put a little grease on the screw as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 06:02:34 

Why put grease in the joints? Wont that make them more suseptable to slide off the elbow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 06:57:49 

i reuse mine ALOT!!!

been using the same method for over 20 gallons and never killed a motor yet.

warn sink water and dish soap ( dawn ) wash rince repeate.... marvel pil mixed with wd40 to thin it out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 08:41:40 

we run on a very fine dusty track quite often & if you don't oil the outer foam dust just go's straight through REALLY EASILY :shock:

now i always oil both foams with a Moto-X oil as you get loads for your money & never reuse! whats the point they're cheap enough anyway :roll:

certainly cheaper than a new engine :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 08:42:54 

Giorgio - I put the grease at the ends of the inner filter. I have never used it on the neck... sorry for the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 08:47:30 

greasing the filter ends acts like a gasket to totally seal the join :wink:

obviously another ex Moto-X racer :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 15:17:18 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 15:38:44 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 15:50:45 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 18:08:00 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 18:17:19 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 19:24:19 

i ran short of fuel at the track so i filler my tank with wd40... it ran but didnt have time to retune, pulled off the track at 442, thats th highest the exergen would read.... :shock: