[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - You know what would be cool?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:25:28

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: You know what would be cool?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 00:27:27 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 02:12:29 

Post subject: Re: You know what would be cool?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 06:31:51 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:05:01 

I think that would be an great idea - chasis set up master classes, racing strategies, maintenance/mod hints and tips, motor tuning master classes + some exhibition racing to watch and of course some racing for the attendees to put to use some of the great stuff they have just learnt. Probably very pie in the sky - but would be awsome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 15:00:07 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 17:01:24 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 18:43:04 

I have an old kart racing buddy who took several kart driving schools over the years. Every time he got back he was a few tenths faster than before like in RC, a couple 10ths in a kart is a lifetime. I've scored kart races where the gap between 1st and 2nd was measured in thousandths. That's close.

Porsche, for instance sponsors driving schools for people who own their cars. It's aimed at making Porsche owners better drivers, and to instill a greater sense of satisfaction with the owner's driving experience. they're very popular with Porschophiles.

Going to a school, any school that could make me a better RC driver would be worth every penny if I found a .2 sec improvement. That would put me solidy in the A here at home. Hell, I'd be happy with less, if what I learned at the school put me on track for faster laptimes, if I stuck to the program.

If Xray/RCAmerica did something like that, they's have to find a track to host it, and if it was held over a weekend, the school would have to be somewhat limited in what it would cover - like chassis setup and driving only. Skip the motor stuff.

If such a concept caught on the school could could be broken up to include novice, to advanced studies, fun racing, maybe even a race series, like Barber Dodge or something like that.

And if someone is willing to pay $400 dollars on a chassis, how much would they pay for a weekend with some pros, telling them how to drive it better?

BTW - Xray/RCAmerica: I am currently available and would glady accept the job of administering such a program (even though my driving really sucks!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 19:37:05 

I switched to this hobby from racing real motorcycles because of the lack of risk. If I'm willing to pay $1500 for a motorcycle race school, then I'd be willing to travel and pay for an RC race school as well.

I'd also suggest an option available in my prior hobby race school, where you have the choice to either bring your own car & equipment, or pay additional rental fee's for the school to provide a "standard" kit and equipment needed for the class.

I believe this would be another excellent way for xray to one-up the competition as a leader and also gain more customers. I think a lot of non-xray racers would jump at the chance to learn the craft better, while test driving the latest and greatest xray (not for free of course). Maybe even provide an option on the last day of the class to purchase the kit and/or other equipment that they actually used at a discounted price.

Something like this could also provide xray a way to partner with complimentary RC equipment suppliers who could provide parts/tools to the classes and sell their equipment as well.

DISCLAIMER: I would be willing to accept a fee for my suggestions if they generate more than $100 revenue for xray... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 20:51:38 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 21:02:45 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 21:23:02 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 23:15:24 

I'm somewhat opposed....not that they aren't good ideas, but this is a hobby. The whole point of a hobby is to do something you enjoy that IS NOT a business.

Someone has to pay for things everyone is talking about, which will inevitably raise consumer prices.

Schooling = Regulations = Insurance = Goverment Intervention = Not a hobby = No fun.

Seems to me many are trying to extract from those who have done. Taking hints from them is ok, but leeching is not. The best way to learn is go out and race, change some things, go race some more.

I'm not saying "No", but I think a better idea is to let the hobby expand as a hobby, not a "who has the most money to learn...", which I think is where some people here are thinking, although they probably have different words for it.

On an informative side...all the information about chassis setup, changes, rubber compounds, etc. are on the internet. If you read them and don't understand any of it, then how would paying someone to show you help? Doesn't make much sense to me...I study those things to understand what happens with my XRAY....and I certainly don't want to PAY someone to show me, that discounts the self-gratification of doing it yourself.

Just my thoughts...but remember; if, let's say, XRAY puts on a school. Who is footing the bill? They have to hire people to run it, administer it, account for it, etc. Then regulations get involved, which cost even more money. Then, their products increase in price, and so on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 23:25:08 

you make some excellent points i'm more interested how the kits are produced and meeting the people involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 00:00:10 

I just got back from a 5 day cycling camp. There were nutrition seminars, talks about how to train, and some great riding with very skilled pros. After some rest I hit the roads with serious pep in my legs. Granted it was mostly from the practice, but I learned a lot too. There is no reason a camp environment wouldn't help every participant reguardless of level. You would market it like an active vacation and yes it would be expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 00:59:04 

I would love it.
I also understand that this wold cost$$$,
but hey, its not for everybody. Look at fantasy baseball camps and the like.
People pay top money, not to learn to be a proffessional ball player, but to have fun.
If having fun is not part of this hobby, I don't know what is.
$200-300 for an all day camp is not out of the question.
One on one time with pros, maybe some seminars throughout the day, and at the very end a huge race where everybody can race and have fun.
Maybe a small grab bag with goodies. It would definitely have to be BYOTC, but if you don't have a car you shouldn't be going.
Where do I sign up!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 09:52:02 

Yes - this would not be for everyone. I probably would not be able to afford to go if it were ever to become a reality. It is of course about having fun and learning something.

Remember though:

(No Regulations && No Insurance) + (Accidents && Law suits) = NO RACING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 16:46:29 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 17:37:53 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 18:16:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 21:54:22 

Some of you guys are missing the point in this. The purpose is to learn from some pros what you could never learn at your local track. The cost should be able to be done very reasonably so that it is conceivable that many people could attend it.

To give you an example, I may take a karting school that that lasts 3 days - cost $1200 not including lodging and transportation. This includes that use of the schools karts where the motors alone are 6.5 times the cost of a new Xray Factory Kit. An RC class should be significantly less and should be able to cover a great deal of material in 2 days. This isn't something that everyone would do but would be a great "guys weekend" no different than the I take to go golfing every year! I have thought about how cool this would be and have some ideas how they could put it together. Let me know what you think

2 day Xray School:
Xray Factory Kits
JR Radio setups and servos
Novak ESC, Bruchless motors, Charger - Discharger, and batteries
Parma bodes
Take-Offs and Jaco tires
Hudy Tools

Before anyone goes crazy about wanting to use their favorite manufacturers I looked at this in a business mindset. The partnering manufacturers are not going to want to complete with another manufacturer for the attention of the attendees. After all, while educational, this is an advertising opportunity for the partners. Here are the reasons that I selected some of these companies as potential partners for an event like this.

JR - they can supply all of the control devices and have a synth. TX/RX
Novak - large enough company to supply the amount of equipment needed. I choose to go brushless to minimize motor issues to spend more time learning about driving and tuning.

Day 1 Morning - castor, camber, and toe-in suspension adjustments
Day 1 Afternoon - shock and spring tuning
Day 2 Morning - Radio & ESC setting adjustments
DAy 2 Afternoon - Class Racing tournement with prizes for attendees and creator of event (ME)!

While I know that some of this may sound basic and many of you feel that you do a reasonable job of tuning your car, many of us are not even close to having our cars set up as a good as can be. Also, the input from pros about when to start making changes and which way go with the changes would be invaluable. Plus, they can make individual recommendations basd upon each attendees driving styles. I think that many people come and go in this hobby (as I have 3 times now) due to the frustration of trying "learn" this hobby and be competitive. While I do this for fun, I also don't want to be the worst driver at the track week after week and unless you practice like crazy it could take forever to learn what could be taught in a few days.

Xray could schedule an event like this the week prior or after a big event to keep their costs lower as they will already have their drivers in town for the event so they would not have to pay for additional travel.