[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - TORONTO -- Canadians turned out by the hundreds to watch Ger

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 06:25:50

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: TORONTO -- Canadians turned out by the hundreds to watch Ger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 03:20:16 

TORONTO -- Canadians turned out by the hundreds to watch Germany beat Argentina in the World Cup final on Sunday, with many braving either a scorching sun or heavy downpour. Supporters gathered in public spaces across the country to cheer on their teams, watching Germany beat Argentina 1-0 in extra time to claim its fourth World Cup win. In Toronto, hundreds of sweat-drenched fans gathered downtown near the Metro Toronto Convention Centre and watched tensely as the game went through a scoreless 90 minutes. While many donned the striped jerseys of Argentina, Germanys supporters seemed to be greater in number and a lot more vocal. Chants of "Germany!" and "Deutschland!" filled the air and grew louder each time either goalkeeper blocked off a shot. "If youre German, you just cheer for every moment," said Nicole Hauvisen, who has lived in Toronto for five years. While Germanys supporters -- many with their faces painted and some shirtless -- erupted into dance at the end of the match, Argentinas supporters slinkered away silently, with some declining interviews. One man who was cheering for Argentina, Rhys Wakeham, said he thought the game was done as soon as Germany put in its single goal with just seven minutes left in the game. "It was like hopeless," he said. "I though that was it. I though that was the end right there, when they scored... Germanys defence was just too strong." In Montreal, several hundred people braved overcast skies for an outdoor party at Montreals Parc Jean Drapeau, which is on the same island where the Montreal Grand Prix is held. Rain spat at the enthusiastic crowd gathered before two large screens before turning into a downpour as the match went into the final minutes. The mob erupted with cheers as Germany was declared the winner and then scattered amid the driving rain. Some hung around to savour the win. Jonathan Lohe Chung, who had supported Argentina, said he didnt expect it to take so long for someone to score. "I was expecting two or three goals in this whole game but how they played everything was pretty conservative on both sides," he said. "Great game no matter what." In Vancouver, there were mixed feelings about Germanys win amongst the hundreds who gathered to watch the game. "Vancouver is the city of bandwagons," said Patrick Koo. "Im pretty sure everyones a Germany fan now." "I was rooting for Germany, I bet a little bit of money on them." said Craig McKimm. "I think Ill win $26 or something like that -- dont tell my girlfriend though." In Edmonton, where sports hoopla is typically reserved for hockey or the other type of football, hundreds gathered under a baking Prairie sun to watch the final on a big screen in the citys downtown. "Im from Toronto and I didnt expect this much support for the World Cup in Edmonton," said Arsh Sidhu, who was wearing an Argentina jersey. Rob Welte and his family, who were on their way back to Fort McMurray after a holiday in B.C., were also surprised to see such a large crowd. Welte, a Germany supporter, explained that his family were such big soccer fans that they took a break from camping during their trip to drive to Kamloops to watch Germany beat France in the quarter-finals. "This is perfect for World Cup," Welte said as he sat among the crowd in Edmonton. "You get a lot of people in public rooting for their country. Its just awesome." With files from Steven Chua in Vancouver, Nelson Wyatt in Montreal and Rob Drinkwater in Edmonton. . LOUIS -- The Tampa Bay Rays have placed right-handed pitcher Joel Peralta on the 15-day disabled list with an undisclosed illness. . The San Antonio Spurs handled the conditions, and the team, and it sure helped when a suffering LeBron James couldnt make it to the finish. http://www.hydroflaskcoffeesale.com/hyd ... mouth.html. - After a back-and-forth battle throughout the season, Alex Guenette has earned the 2013 rookie of the year award for the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series presented by Mobil 1 by just one point over Ryley Seibert. . - Diego Fagundez scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season in the 76th minute to lift the Revolution to a 3-2 victory over the Columbus Crew on Saturday night that kept New Englands playoff hopes alive. . "Today was a very great day for me. It was always my dream to be good in GS," Wierather said. "I took quite a long time to get there. It feels awesome to have my first win (in GS)." Wierather leads overall with 595 points from Lara Gut (568), who finished second, and Maria Hoefl-Riesch of Germany (535).DALLAS -- Anaheim Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau was certainly trying to remain optimistic, even if he didnt expect such a dramatic comeback. "I wasnt confident at all," Boudreau admitted. "Youre always hopeful. ... But deep down, you dont really think its going to happen." Well, it did. And the Ducks are moving on in the playoffs. The Ducks scored twice in the final 2:10 of regulation, and then Nick Bonino scored in overtime for a 5-4 series-clinching victory over the Dallas Stars in Game 6 on Sunday night. "Its still hard to believe. Ive got butterflies in my stomach," said Bonino, who also scored one of those late regulation goals. "Scoring the winning goal in a playoff series is something you play in your driveway when youre a kid." Bonino got the game-winner on a wrist shot from in front of the net 2:47 into overtime after getting a pass from Andrew Cogliano, and made sure the Ducks didnt need a Game 7 to advance in the playoffs for only the second time since winning their lone Stanley Cup title seven years ago. "Weve done it all year. We had games when we clawed back, especially in the third period," Cogliano said. "Thats what the playoffs are all about, to keep clawing." The home team won in each of the first five games, but the Ducks wanted to take advantage of the first opportunity they had to end the series. Anaheim also led its opening-round series 3-2 last year. But the Ducks then lost twice to Detroit, including Game 7 at home. Trevor Daley scored twice on breakaways for the Stars, , the first goal coming after he got the puck charging out of the penalty box. Daley, who also had an assist, is the only current player that was also on their last playoff team in 2008 for the Stars, who came so close to a deciding Game 7 in their first season under coach Lindy Ruff. "Sometimes hockeys cruel," Ruff said. "It was cruel, really cruel, to a group of guys that worked as hard as they possibly could tonight. There wasnt one guy that was a passenger." Bonino skated around the from behind the net and got a puck over Kari Lehtonens left shoulder to get the Ducks within 4-3 with 2:10 left in regulation. "After they got the first one, we were just kind of on our heels too much," Stars forward Ryan Garbutt said. Anaheim got the overtime-forcing goal with 24 seconds left after a wild scramble in front of the net with an extra skater and Lehtonen without his stick. When the puuck trickled free, Devante Smith-Pelly pushed into the open gap for his second goal of the game for a 4-4 tie.dddddddddddd I was just standing outside the net, and guys were whacking at it," Smith-Pelly said. "You do what youve got to do to score. Not every goal is going to be tic-tac-toe." Corey Perry had the primary assists on both third-period goals for the Ducks, who will have to wait to see if they play San Jose or Los Angeles in the second round. Teemu Selanne assisted on the first two Anaheim goals, by Smith-Pelly and Ben Lovejoy. Ducks veteran goalie Jonas Hiller stopped all 12 shots he faced after replacing rookie Frederik Andersen midway through the second period after Daleys second breakaway put Dallas up 4-2. He stopped only eight shots. "This was a little more special for me. It was a great feeling," said Hiller, who won 29 games during Anaheims best regular season ever. "I thought I had a couple of good stops right when I came in, and that gave me confidence. When you get the chance, you get so much adrenaline going." Cody Eakin had a goal and an assist for Dallas, while Lehtonen stopped 25 shots. Dallas went ahead only 5 minutes into the game when Daley came out of the penalty box and skated toward the Anaheim net. After having to get around a referee to get to the puck pushed ahead by Shawn Horcoff, Daley scored. Eakin scored a power-play goal five minutes later, a one-timer on a pass from Tyler Seguin to make it 2-0. Smith-Pelly had a power-play goal with about 2 minutes left in the first period. But Garbutt scored a minute later. Garbutt got a major penalty for spearing Perry and a game misconduct midway through the first period of the Ducks 6-2 win in Game 5 on Friday night. He was fined by the NHL but not suspended. Notes: Daley had only two goals in his first 34 career playoff games. ... The last time the Stars scored at least three goals in a period in a post-season game was on April 27, 2008, with four in the third period of a 5-2 win over San Jose in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals. ... Selanne (43 years and 207 days) became the second oldest player to record a multi-assist game in the playoffs. Chris Chelios of Detroit had two assists in the 2007 playoffs at 45 years and 102 days. ... Selanne has 66 career playoff points for Anaheim, matching captain Ryan Getzlaf for the most in franchise history. Getzlaf had a goal and two assists in Game 5. ' ' '