[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - What is the rear axle/rim 'standard' like on a Xray car?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 15:22:59

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: What is the rear axle/rim 'standard' like on a Xray car?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 15:47:48 

Hello,

what tyres are you using? I noticed that Contacts are too short by 1mm in the front. A modification of the front axle is required to use them but this can't be intended. And ATS and Matrix don't fit in the rear as those are .5mm too wide! A mess. So it's Mugen 'standard' in the front and Kyosho 'standard' in the rear. No well available tyres over here fit the RX8. And I don't want to buy all sorts of tyres just to throw them away afterwards! No ATS, no Contact, no Matrix fit!

It can't be that I have to run Matrix in the front and Contacts in the rear for a perfect all around fit!

I don't blame one particular brand of tyres or cars but this is a problem manhood should be able to solve!

Post subject: Re: What is the rear axle/rim 'standard' like on a Xray car?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 15:04:31 

Most of the tyres manufacturers use the Mugen standard so it's not a smart solutuion to use a non-Mugen standard in the rear! But it seems it's like running against windmills! Others (tyers manufacturers) are lying and call a Mugen standard the same like a Kyosho standard! And to await a damn simple idea like providing two bores in the axles front and rear, offset by 90°, is wanted too much obviously!

And, of course, as always in this matter, the industry falls QUIET! Xray even doesn't call a standard for their car! But for all that are wondering, it's Kyosho standard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 16:54:00 

The handout tire is getting more common on most races within Europe so every car has to deal with every possible tire.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 09:09:00 
team driver

I think you mean the axial play of the rimm on the axle against part no: 345260-O?

This has nothing to do with offset.

I use Matrix rimms and then you need to cut part 345260-O for 0,5mm to fit the rimm perfectley.

If you want to use the contact tires you can use part 345260-O of a Serpent car, i know that there is more material there and there is no play with the contact rimms.

If X-ray makes part 345260-O same as the serpent one, than almost every RX8 owner need to cut this part. I think because of this Xray choose to take the middle of margins. ;-)

About the off-set of the rimms. Almost every producer makes his rimms on Mugen off set (or Kyosho because its the same) this has become industry standards. There are small differences between the manufacturers +/- 0.5 - 1mm in offset but this has to do with different molds, materials and production process.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 02:25:48 

Thanks for your answers.

I'm not talking about offset as that's all OS2 as you said with very small differences. After I checked back with the Matrix rims after my first run with them, they also had very little play at the front but less play than Contacts. For the rear I basically got the same idea like you and ordered the quick release lever from Mugen.

Don't touching the levers at all, the Contacts fit in the rear and that's it. I don't know what's the matter with tyres that are not so common like Hot Race, ZAC, SRC and so on. I think in Europe it's mainly Contact, Matrix and Enneti (with Enneti still offering tyres specially made for Mugen, Kyosho and Serpent cars).

So what I did to not have to switch the levers all the time was cutting lexanplates of .5mm, basically a donut with cut outs for the axle's pin. I just put them on and the play is gone.

Mugen and Kyosho offsets are the same but their rims differ a very little bit. If you would use 'Mugen' rims in the rear of a Kyosho you also would have to cut .5mm of the Kyosho lever like on a Xray. But Kyosho is out of action in this class since 2 years.

But nevertheless, I think it shouldn't be impossible to get all the manufacturers of cars and tyres to 'one table' to finally select one single standard.

Thanks again for your help.