[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Alternative T4 springs

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:27:00

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Alternative T4 springs
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 17:46:45 

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the Xray springs for the T4 ?

Nobody in the UK has any stock of the 2.5 springs and haven't had for weeks. The other option I looked at were the AME ones but those are out of stock too.

Can anyone help ?

thanks

Post subject: Re: Alternative T4 springs
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 21:29:42 

I'm afraid I don't know of any UK shops that would carry them
I have ordered some springs from Reflex Racing in the US as they also do different rates but not too sure how long their delivery would take.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 21:29:43 

repeat post

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 21:45:14 

Thanks anyway.

How have you found the progressive springs indoors on prima GT carpet ? I changed from a T3-12 to a T4 and have had really unpredictable handling ever since, it feels like the rear is collapsing mid corner and losing traction giving unpredictable oversteer.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 23:23:08 

That's interesting, when I first put the car down at Newbury I couldn't believe how nice the car was too drive with the kit carpet setup (I also came from a T3'12)

I have since tweaked the setup to make it a bit more aggressive, which made it faster.

Here is a setup which doesn't use 2.5 rear springs;

I have also known drivers use 2.5-2.8 fronts with 2.7 or even 2.9 at the rear.

Yes, I do use 2.5 rear springs at the moment, but I managed to get some very competitive setups without them :)

Skiddins

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 14:21:05 

Thanks, i'll give that a go on sunday and see how I get on.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:29:10 

So sunday was another day of trial and error.

Started the day with kit carpet setup but 1000 oil in the rear diff and a front diff with 1,000,000 oil. The car was horrible, virtually undriveable with the back end trying to overtake the front every time I put in any power at all.

Checked everything over, nothing binding or tight. Had someone else check everything over, all OK.

Tried a fresh set of tyres, increased front droop, removed the rear anti-roll bar, increased rear camber all improved the car slightly and by the final I was able to set the quickest lap in my class but the car was extremely difficult to drive consistently still very loose at the rear under acceleration. On the faster corners the rear was planted and I could carry more corner speed on a tighter line than others but couldn't find any confidence accelerating out of the tighter stuff.

I'm not sure where to go next. Can someone make any suggestions ?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 18:30:26 

Put a spool back in the front. That should make the car a lot more stable.

Fill out an Xray setup sheet on here then post a link so drivers can look at exactly what you have now.

Also some photos or links to the track is always helpful.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 19:33:16 

Hopefully this links to my setup sheet from yesterday.

xform/index.php?act=view&ID=357&setup=t4

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 21:36:48 

The simplest thing I can see to change is to reduce the upper front links (inner) to 1mm and the rears down to 0mm

Skiddins

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 21:41:03 

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll give that a go. It really doesn't feel as if the car is sitting down into the rear and biting, just spinning up the rears and losing traction.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 22:29:08 

One more thing to try is belt tension. If the rear is too tight and/or the front too loose, this will give a 'rear wheel drive' feeling on the power.

I run the rear on the loosest setting and the front one down from the tightest, but this will vary from one car to another.

Was 6 front droop your final setting or did you add more than that? Adding more is worth a go if not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:56:57 

For a number of reasons yesterday was the first time i'd had the opportunity to put all the advice into action.
All I can say is WOW, and thanks for the advice.

Some 2.5 rear springs, a 1.3 rear roll bar and some adjustment to the belt tensions have completely transformed the car. I just missed out on FTQ and finished 2nd in the A final challenging drivers I've never been able to get anywhere near. The car was so driveable I could set consistent lap times and still had the fastest lap of the day.

Just when I think i'm getting an understanding of how to approach setup I discover I've still got a lot to learn. So thanks again for the advice.