[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - High speed track set-up help needed

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 14:25:57

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: High speed track set-up help needed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 05:10:28 

As we started to practice outdoors the last week the track is very different from the smaller indoor track we have. This track is very large with no real hairpins or very sharp corners, there are big curbs that is possible to attack without rolling over or crashing. I was searching for set-up for a while and went pretty soft due to dirty track but soon figured out that a harder car was much more stable and consistent and rotated better in the corners and I got the lap time down pretty much.

However I still have one main issue that slows me down compared to others and that is the high speed corner after the long straight, I can go full throttle (5,5FDR, 13,5 medium boosted) but the steering is not really enough and it is very dangerous to try it since I cannot hit the curb there because of the speed and need to stay a little safe from cutting the corner too hard. What can I do to get some more steering here to be able to go on full thottle though this corner in a controlled way?

My set-up is pretty much according to the asphalt standard setup sheet apart from the harder progressive springs in the back. I also removed the screws from the top-deck at the layshaft bulkhead and felt I got more traction in total all over the track. Tires is Team Powers 32 and that will be the tires used for most races this year it seems.

The second question is, how to think when searching for improvements on such a large track, is a stiffer car generally better in this high speed conidtions? I am more used to carpet tracks from Sweden and not to large outdoor asphalt tracks so this is a bit new to me.

Things I want to try next week is
More camber in the front
Two piece suspension holder in the front
450cst shock oil
Stiffer roll bars front and back
2000cst diff oil

Is this reasonable changes to try out? What else can I try?

Pic of track, layout is different now
http://www.rcfans.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=1281

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: High speed track set-up help needed
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:53:10 
team driver

The track looks great.

On asphalt lately I have been using a 2.7 linear spring in the rear in combination with a 2.5-2.8 progressive front. This will give you really good high speed steering.

Don't go harder with anti-roll bars as you will simply loose overall traction. On asphalt it is usually better to stay with thinner ones such as 1.3 front and 1.2 rear.

The split suspension holder in front (2 pcs) will give you a bit more turn-in.

Most drivers use 3K or heavier rear diff since it helps a lot for on-power steering.

For shock set-up, use 350 with 4x1.1mm. This should be the best choice for the conditions that you have described.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 06:23:21 

Thank you alex!
Coming back with the result after next practice!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54:28 

Car works just awesome! A dream to drive and super easy to place.

Now I should just stop making mistakes in the qualifiers and everything will be fine =) Had great lap times and got even better in the final (B final due to stupis mistakes in qualify) after changing traction compund, had a accident and could not finish tho.. =(

Next race coming up is a much smaller track, normally it has some real tight corners and one need to change direction very fast, might have some high speed sweeper too, track is being rebuilt this week so not totally sure about layout yet. What sould I try to change for this track? Or just go with the same even tho the size is very different?
We have the first race in the Asia league hosted by Scott Ernst coming up on that track soon so time to start practice!!

Track pics below, I would say similar size to when we use gymnasiums in Sweden and roll out carpet but slightly wider at times, and asphalt of course..

http://www.rcfans.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=7609
http://www.aocrc.com/facilities/rci/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 15:05:03 

I would always start with what you've been using to see how the handling compares, then start making changes.

If the car is terrible on the new track, go back to kit settings and start making changes again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13:40 

Hi .i raced at wlrc on the weekend and my car was very nice to drive.my first heat i had my fastest lap and on a cleaner,more grippy track i could not niprove my fastest laptime even though the car felt even better.what do i change to go faster deuring the day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25:21 
team driver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:51:45