[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Shock membrane swelling!

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Fri Jul 26, 2024 00:32:33

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Shock membrane swelling!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 00:18:58 

Has there been a change in supplier for the t4 shocks? I have found mine swelled massively. I have not seen any one else report this so possible I had a bad batch! All 4 have swelled excessively, it would be nice if there is a fault or this is standard issue now for an uprated option to choose from. Or if anyone knows of a better option please post. J

Post subject: Re: Shock membrane swelling!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 00:51:45 

Never had a problem reassembling them but others have mentioned that they do swell.

When putting the shock back together put the bladder in the top of the shock body, and using a blunt driver of some sort, gently 'stir' the bladder down into the body (oil will of course come out around it), now put the plastic top section with pivot ball onto the bladder.

Now carefully put the orange threaded cap over the plastic part (don't tighten yet)

Hold the shock in your fingers so that your index finger is holding that plastic part (and obviously the bladder underneath it), now screw down the metal cap, while doing so, the plastic part should not move, you only want the cap to rotate while screwing down.

I've been running Xray for over 4years and have only had to replace 2 bladders due to damage.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 01:10:01 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 01:36:23 

So, even with no oil in the shock you can't get it to sit properly in the shock body?

Skiddins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 02:23:51 

Exactly I dropped the oil out as I thought too much start again, and massively oversized! What oil u run?
J

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 02:25:54 

What brand sorry? I run associated. Considering xray now!

J

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 03:06:59 

I do run Xray oil.

It is more expensive, but I hardly ever need to use it so I just bite the bullet and pay.

To be honest it hadn't occured to me that the manufacturer of the oil might make a difference at all.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 08:33:30 

The XRAY team has been using the original XRAY oils and until now did not report any problems you mention.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 21:09:32 

I am absolutly certain that the membrane swelling is. not caused
by those brands of shockoil.
I've been racing X-RAYs an building
their shocks (alloy+plastic) since 2006.The only shockoils that I've used
are Asso and X-Ray.
Greetings from the middle of Germany.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:42:22 

I have had this problem also, my shock membranes on my T4 swelled so much they would not fit the shock without pushing hard on the membrane and then it would pop out. I have been using Much More oils. This doesnt seem to happen with other brands of touring car shocks only Xray ?? I shouldnt have to use Xray only oils to avoid this problem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 15:40:38 

Maybe it has changed with the T4 shocks but as a T1/T2/T3 owner I have always fited the membrane and foam insert to the cap first and then screwed that assembley onto the shock body - no idea if that would help you overcome the problem - sounds unlikely!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 18:22:48 

Well I'm glad it's not only me! Starting to think it was or I just had a bad batch? I suppose its possible. I have ordered a couple of sets to try just leave them in a bad of oil for a week and see what exactly happens.

I will post my findings I'm gonna order an xray muchmore and possible core rc oils, I've always run associated so fingers crossed its just a bad batch! Failing that if an uprated version of membrane is not released or quality control issued the its an oil brand change for us!

It's not a bad thing having membrane options for example their is another manufacture offering this that way we as the customer have the choice. Has anyone else measured up to see it other manufactures ones work?
J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:52:47 
team driver

The membranes can swell a little yes but normally it shouldn't affect the performance. You just have to use a different building technique when the membranes become older. Before closing the shock after filling it with oil, put the membrane on top as usual and use a small screw driver to tap the membrane lightly from the top until all the excess oil has poured out. The shock shaft should be half or 25% pushed inside the shock when this is done. When the membrane sits nicely on top of the oil and in line with the shock body, screw the cap back on and you will have a perfect shock with little or no rebound. Just realised that this is a similar method as used by Skiddins too.