[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Q&A with Paul Lemieux

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 16:12:45

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Q&A with Paul Lemieux
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 19:02:00 
team driver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 18:06:11 

hi paul..
wanna ask something if u dont mind..coz i'm getting lost right now..
is droop=downstop? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 19:13:21 
team driver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 21:11:55 

I will have to disagree here with you Paul.
They are used to describe the same thing but are different measurements.
Downstop is the distance of the suspension arm from the bottom of the chassis.
Droop is the distance the car is allowed to travel upwards before the wheels lift from the ground.

So if you have a car with eg f:6 and r:5 downstop values if you change the ride height these values will stay the same but the droop will change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 21:29:57 
team driver

True. and this is why i always provide the "above ride height" value, so it is consistent with different thickness chassis or different ride height. I suppose what i was trying to say is that you would turn the same screw to adjust your droop, downstop, down travel or what ever the terminology may be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 21:45:38 

Don't try to cover it up Paul.
You messed up.
The new thread will be "Q&A with taz" :D

Just messing with you. I still need all the help you can give us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 21:51:26 
team driver

lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 22:28:33 

Now about the help I was talking about.
I race mostly at an outdoor large (as in I can put my 1:1 car in it and race in it large :D ) asphalt track.
The traction is extremely low most of the time, probably lower than anything you have encountered.
For some reason normal low traction setups do not seem to work.
eg normally for low traction one would use 700cst oil in the rear diff, if you do that here then you have too much rotation in the rear during corner entry and the car may spins out, also during corner exit one or the wheels spins while the other grips so again you may spin out.
The tires are any brand as long as they are 36 rated (good for the summer but during the winter very difficult to keep them up to temperature)
Here is the last race from our national cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnW-DNv ... r_embedded

The car the camera is following is the winner's car (a Hot Bodies TCX)

My setup is more or less this.
xform/index.php?act=view&ID=94&setup=t3_2012

I have changed my body for a Protoform Mazda speed 6 which I seem to like so far.
The Sorex 36 I used for the race were a big mistake as they need higher temperatures to work, sweep 36 r seem to have a wider temperature range.

Any ideas on setup changes for this track?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 22:40:33 

Ok, after all this writing I realized I forgot to describe what my car does.
It suffer from general lack of grip, meaning that it might push in the corner breaking zone and then be loose in the rear. Also it fish tails during corner exit.
When traction is higher it seems to be better but this is to be expected.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 17:01:26 
team driver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:15:01 

Regarding your Snowbirds X12 setup:
Is there a 3mm shim between caster block and lower arm per side, or total 3mm (1.5mm on left and 1.5mm on right)?
I've used 1.5mm or 1.9mm per side until now, have to try 3mm then!

Are Gravity tyres same as Contact magenta/pink?

How do the AE springs compare to Xray ones?

And what are the Xtra hard side springs?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 17:31:24 

Hi paul I have an xray T3R. i upgraded my rear diff to a gear diff.

Can I kindly ask just between car comparison if the T3R can catch up to the hpi tcx?

Or do i basically need to upgrade to a 2012 T3?

hoping for your kind reply. Thanks :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 16:25:30 
team driver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 16:30:19 
team driver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 04:20:15 

Thank you very much paul on your answer. I will stick to my t3R and really tune it to its optimum level. Have a nice day and thank you again :D

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 21:48:45 

Hi Paul

I find my car is very well balanced in higher grip conditions. However, on a cold damp track which is drying, grip is lacking overall with an especial tendency for the car to push and lacks rotation (more noticeable on power).

As the grip comes up, the pace relative to others becomes better and better - however I do struggle earlier in the day? Any ideas - I saw your post on lengthening the camber links which I will try - any ideas of what I could do with the front of the car?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 15:25:09 
team driver

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 23:33:13 

Hello,

I hope you can help me out.
Im new in Xray, I bought a used Xray T2 009 EU edition with 81T Spurgear / 48P
-im planning to run 9t brushless motor for the meantime
-what is the recomended pinion(s) for this setup?
-and what is a recomended gearing (spur gear and pinion) for this car to run fast on track.

thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 15:34:25 
team driver

Hi. For a 9.0 motor i would start with a 112/35, or a 6.0 overall ratio. This will be safe for a non timing speed controller set up. if you will be using a Timing advance speed controller i would suggest starting with maybe 112/32 then apply timing advance.

4.0 motor i use: 116/25, 8.8 ratio
4.5 motor 116/26, 8.4 ratio.

hope that helps, thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 22:33:18 

Mr.lemieux

first sorry for my bad english :oops:
i have a question to ask.... i buy alu shock absorber set for my xray t3 2012.
the thing i want to ask is what hole piston i should use 2 hole or 3 hole for front and rear?
and what diameter hole i should use 1.0 - 1.1 - 1.2 front amd rear?
the last thing what shock oil is the best combination for me?

my track condition is carpet with medium grip.lenght 30 metre widht 16 metre

Thx for your time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 536 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next