[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Racing constancy

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 00:14:58

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Racing constancy
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:39:42 

Hello.

Everybody know how to get the maximum constancy racing? For try to do the same lap times?

I know that it a lot of depends of your driving style, but about the setup, any idea?

Post subject: Re: Racing constancy
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 09:31:58 

just ride a lot and make set up which suits you :>

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:58:25 
team driver

Start with basic setup and keep practicing...a lot of practice...
With no to change the car setup try to drive your car even the car is not so good. Practice, practice, practice and then will be easy for you when will find a better setup to drive constancy.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 18:16:19 

when you have well seted up car you can learn faster how to properly drive and get more feeling with the car

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 21:06:32 
team driver

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 21:30:52 

Thank you very much guys.

Is true that when the car is better balance is easily to drive constanty. Normal I race between 0.3 - 0.4 sec per lap. But I would like to make better times. And one of the next thing I have to do is balance the car with weight. I think first is get minimun weight of the car and then put the weight balance. I have the Hudy balancing tools. But I don't know hot to use for measure with precision with side is heavier or lighter.

Regards.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 13:36:25 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 18:10:34 

Thank you for your answer Green.

Sorry for my english. I said balance, I wanted to say that (rebound, shocks, etc...) that help to get the best balance car.

Yes I have that parts (Hudy balacing tool). But When I put the car with that tool, I can't measure with precision how much is unbalanced the car. You must check it with your eyes.

Regards.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 19:28:56 

Hi Ruben

If the difference between your average laptime over 5min and your fastest laptime is 0.3 - 0.4 sec, that is very good ! (I'm not sure if you meant that though!)

I'm pleased if I get around 0.7 sec difference, but the best drivers are generally all below 0.5sec. Aim for consistency first, rather than fast lap times, the overall result is always poorer when you try too hard :? On a practice day, I sometimes pick a corner, or series of corners, and concentrate on keeping the same speed, same line, braking points and so on. See if you can string 5 - 10 laps together exactly the same, and then pick another series of corners.

Another idea that worked for me was to forget about my place in the club championship rankings or trying to win individual races, but just settled on driving slightly slower, but with maximum consistency - my driving improved a lot, and guess what - my overall results improved, simply because I was not crashing so much. 8)

Once you stop crashing, you need to focus on positioning the car with accuracy. I am always impressed with top drivers like Andy Moore or Ollie Jeffries here in the UK - they position their car within 25mm at the corner apex, lap after lap. Once you can position your car accurately, then you need to follow the best racing lines, and get more "aggressive" with throttle and braking. A race car should ideally be always on the limit of the available frictional grip when cornering, braking or accelerating.

In terms of car setup, don't go for a very aggressive or responsive setup initially as it may be too twitchy and hard to drive, so, go for softer springs, lighter oil and so on (within reason!). As previous poster's mention, the "kit" setup is the normal starting place, and if you end up with VERY different settings, it usually means you've got "lost" in setting up, so go back to the base kit setup, and make small changes one by one, testing after each change. You can usually tell the car's behaviour quite quickly, after only a couple of laps (even if the tyres are cool). Once you have a setup that works, you do need to do a timed 5min run and check your laptimes.

It has sometimes been said that a setup that is easy to drive can be slow, and a twitchy responsive setup hard-to-drive one is fast - laptimes are the only judge ! I have found that mild understeer ("push") feels OK to drive, but is slow, and can be hard to diagnose - get an experienced racer to look at your car (or drive it) and give you some tips.

Hope this helps !

:)