[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Hagberg's Rear Susp. Mod. for DHI Cup

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 17:04:41

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hagberg's Rear Susp. Mod. for DHI Cup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 18:54:49 

What piece did Alex modify and what was the benefit?

Does that give 3 deg per side or 3 deg total ?

Thank You.

Last edited by jumo004 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 21:50:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hagberg's Rear Susp. Mod. for DHI Cup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 19:28:18 

can you send us some photos?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 21:49:21 

Actually I was hoping Alex could post some pictures ..... :D :D

I saw that he modified the rear suspension on his set-up sheet from the DHI Cup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 23:00:29 

Hey Jumo,

Sounds like Alex has machined 1mm from the rear front aluminium suspension blocks allowing him to run the plastic suspension blocks narrower than standard.

The shims he is using will make it narrower by 1mm each side but maintain 3 degrees toe-in.

Hope this helps,

Phil Chambers
Team XRAY UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 01:49:36 

Thanks Phil C.
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure.
Sounds like it gives him a narrower rear tread for more on power steering ???

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 13:36:55 

I think Alex cut the plastic and aluminum sleeve in it.
I have done and to retain the convergence angle of 3 degrees, I really had to put a washer 0.5 mm under rear suspension holder.
For what purpose was this done?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 14:31:47 
team driver

Modification explained here; you may also cut the aluminum part if you can make it precise enough.

http://hagberg.blogs.se/2012/01/18/rear ... -12479898/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 16:27:51 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 01:55:32 

So does it stand to reason that widening the rr track by spacing the arm mounts out would reduce turn-in and mid corner rotation?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 18:44:01 

I have shaved my blocks down and wanted to know if I must have 50mm driveshafts for it to work, or would the standard 52mm driveshafts be fine?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 14:04:35 
team driver

You will need to use the 50mm rear driveshafts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:21:51 

What this mod do that fitting a narrow rear hex instead doesn't?

I know your mod is 1mm narrower while the hex's are -0.75mm, but if the mod was shimmed to be even what would the difference be.

Thanks
Skiddins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 22:55:44 
team driver

When you change the width of the suspension holders, you will have a shorter upper link as a result to retain the same camber angle. When you change the offset, the link stays the same, but the links position in relation to the wheel changes. These are two different variables. I wanted to make the whole suspension narrower with the same offset. The shorter upper link gave more turn-in as well as the actual suspension being narrower.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:32:38 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 21:44:01 
team driver

The shorter front link gives the feeling of more turn-in and reaction, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 01:12:30 

Thanks

Tried the pivot mod yesterday and it added some steering, along with a few other changes I'm getting there with regard to getting more steering.

I have to say that at my local track it didn't seem to make the car any more difficult to drive, perhaps that is because it is a fairly flowing outdoor track.

Skiddins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 23:27:24 
team driver

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 02:11:46 

I have now run the mod at a couple of asphalt tracks, West London and Cotswold, both UK National tracks and the mod has helped with steering and strangely seems to be more stable than the normal setup.

I have also run it once indoors at a much smaller carpet track where it was good although I had trouble with the car being a bit loose if pushed too hard through the corners (more setup adjustments need to be tested).

I was warned by someone who used to run a Kyosho that having a much narrower rear track that it might heat up the rear tyres too much, which on his car caused to rear to become loose.

On the runs I've tried so far on carpet and asphalt the biggest difference in tyre temps where the rears were warmer was 1degC, most of the time the fronts have been 1or 2degC warmer like usual.

In short, the mod is staying on and it has helped.

At some point will be the 2mm chassis and 1.6mm top deck