[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - t3 2012 belt rub

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 15:03:54

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: t3 2012 belt rub
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 04:39:57 

Hi everyone,

I need your help. I completed my build and am testing small runs while the car is benched. When I turn left or right, the belt rubs on something and it appears to be near the linkage. The belt is set to the default setup, the differential is on correctly and the linkage is setup properly. Please let me know your thoughts I am desperate and am leaning on the pros here for help!

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: t3 2012 belt rub
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:43:07 

Please post a picture of the area where you think the belt rubs on something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:59:31 

I found (on a Exotek chassis) that the belt was trying to rub against the servo mounting post.

But again, what makes you think it's rubbing if you don't know where?

Skiddins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 14:21:17 

Thank you very much for your replies.

It is so odd, maybe something else is going on, but all I know is when I turn (fully to the left or right) the belt starts making this scary noise so I immediately stop. It appears to be coming from the front end (I am sure that doesn't help you). I have posted a pic below, any insight as to the causes would be fantastic. This is the last step holding me back from running her for the first time!!!

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 147.36 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:25:38 

Are you sure you're not talking about 'spool chatter', where the wheels etc vibrate a lot when a lot of steering lock is used?

If you listen to the following video, you can hear the change near full lock, it's also when everything vibrates including my battery (not taped down) and the bodyclips;

Last edited by Skiddins on Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:42:51, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:30:53 

Skiddins,

Maybe? I don't know...it scared me, can you repost that link somehow? It seems malformatted and I can't figure out what the link is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:33:08 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:35:01 

Skiddins I just tracked you down on photobucket, I think that is it...sounded to me like I was rubbing the belt so bad it was going to snap! I think you nailed it..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:37:58 

From this angle everything looks fine.
Could you take a pic from the side?
Finally, are you sure it is the belt and not the driveshafts?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:38:16 

The sound is for sure the spool chatter.
It is normal especially if you run the car on the bench with no load on the wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:39:30 

It's ready now :mrgreen:

It is spool chatter then, its to do with the solid front 'diff' and the driveshafts as they are not truly CVD's

It happens on all the cars that use a spool.

The only way to get rid of that would be to fit ECS driveshafts.

The video is of my wet car which uses the standard items. I like the extra 'hook' I get from the front to get it into corners in the damp.
My dry car has ECS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 15:42:54 

you guys are all terrific. Skiddins, I think I have seen you on rc tech. This hobby is so much more pleasurable with people like you guys on these forums who are experts and willing to devote their time and energy to others. I really appreciate it. I am coming from mainly using 1/5th scale gas, a few smaller brushless trucks and a few other gizmos.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 17:10:47 

Hi,

if you want to learn more about the true (c)onstant(v)elocity(d)rive- and cardan-system, here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant-velocity_joint

The "RC CVDs" (except for one and also just for one model) are basically cardanshafts looking like CVDs. The ECS are basically double-cardanshafts which work different to single-cardanshafts in more aspects. That's why you almost (not noticable) don't face any spool chattering with them. If you wouldn't have an Ackermann-steering you wouldn't have spool-chattering but also your car wouldn't turn in at all. :-)