[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Gear dif front and rear

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 18:31:51

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Gear dif front and rear
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 02:30:29 

We will be having a carpet race in the new year were the traction is very low for TC on rubber tires any suggestion in what oils to try. the last time I had the car on the carpet I had 300.000 in the front and 700 in the rear. The problem was the car had no rear traction when it was in mid corner and it would spin out. Or should I be looking at a option to fix this problem

G Wood

Post subject: Re: Gear dif front and rear
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 04:30:38 

One of your rear tyres may be unloading, so try heavier oil in the rear and maybe some more rear droop.

I found that with 700 and 1,000 in the gear diff in the rear of my T2'009 it would be a bit loose. When I filled it with 2,000, the car was much better to drive. This is for rubber tyres on asphalt (with a spool in the front), but should work the same on carpet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 15:48:32 

Interesting comment Swanny. There have been a lot of posts here to use 700/1000 on the rear but I found the same as you in my 009. I bought some 2000 oil but have not tried it yet. Maybe this is a T3/009 handling difference that makes the lighter oil more suitable on a T3.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 04:24:39 

Maybe there are some other differences in geometry between the two cars that contribute as well.

I also like my ball diff to be a bit on the tighter side too as it helps in the off camber corners on my track. Whilst it gives a but less turn in, it makes the car more stable in the middle and exit of the corner. Whilst I can feel the difference between 700, 1000 and 2000, 2000 still doesn't feel overly tight - it feels like a ball diff on the tighter side.

I race on a big, open outdoor track. I'm sure lighter oil in the rear might be better suited to a smaller track. It's taken me a few goes to find what works for me in the rear of my car.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:23:04 
team driver

I use different oils in the rear from track to track. On low traction carpet I often use 700 or 1000, on high traction carpet or asphalt I use 2000 or 3000.
Both too soft and too hard oil can make the car unstable. But it depends very much on the track.
Hard oil makes it more "linear unstable feeling". When you accelerate more, you get more steering, sometimes it is too much so you have to accelerate very careful.
Soft oil is in these cases easier to drive. But sometimes the rear breakes away while accelerating. Most times when you are already on throttle, and begin to steer, or you change the steering direction. Sometimes you can hear how the wheels spin. Then you can make it easier to drive by using harder oil.