[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - How does the XRay T3 compare to Tamiya 416/7?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 18:17:59

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: How does the XRay T3 compare to Tamiya 416/7?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 21:56:03 

Hi all.

Could anyone who has driven both the current Xray T3 chassis' and the Tamiya's give a comparison as to how they compare on the track?

I currently run a Tamiya TRF417 at my local club (indoor carpet in the UK), and was planning to get the TRF417X when it's out in December, but I am now thinking about getting a T3 '12 instead. There were about 5 or 6 guys using the TRF416 when I first started TC racing with the 417 almost a year ago, but they have all now changed to Xray/Schumacher/HotBodies. Being the only Tamiya user has it's drawbacks as I can't share setup info or borrow a part if I break something that I don't have a spare for.

I was just wondering how the T3 compares to the 417. Is it 'easier' to drive, is it more/less sensitive to setup changes/track conditions, etc.

Post subject: Re: How does the XRay T3 compare to Tamiya 416/7?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 15:37:49 

XRAY T3'12 is way better
easier to set up
and you have FORUM
tamiya doesnt have kinda forum!
xray has got better plastics,they are solid and strong like a dimond

sell this something for letter "t" and buy XRAYT3'12!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 19:08:50 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 20:49:39 

lol,no
its starting with "ta"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 21:35:29 

I've never found the Tamiya plastics (or any other part) to be weak, as I've only ever broken a couple of front hubs in the time that I've been racing it, and it's taken plenty of hard knocks without causing any damage.

The biggest obstacle to getting a T3 '12 is the fact that I'm a Tamiya die-hard, with a TRF201 buggy and 3 M-chassis (2x M05, 1x M03) alongside the TRF417 (and I had a TRF416X for a short time before that). I'm certainly considering the T3, but I'm not quite ready to make the leap just yet... :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 21:57:08 

i didnt brake anything in my t3 :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 02:07:44 

It all depends on your own situation.

If you have easy access to friends setups etc that will make things easier, as well as spare parts if you damage anything.

Have you actually tried driving one of your friends Xray's to compare?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:24:10 

Toon, with all due respect, you come in a xray dedicated forum and ask about a comparison with another brand's car.
What answers do you expect?
The Tamiya is one of the best cars out there and as such there will be some that will prefer it to other cars.
But since this is an xray forum most people here have xrays because they prefer them to other brands.
My guess is that you would get more useful answers in a general rc forum and not a specific manufacturer's forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 13:52:51 

I fully accept that the responses will be in favour of the Xray, but I was hoping to get a fair comparison from those who own, or have at least driven , both Xray & Tamiya.

I fear that if I asked the same question in a general RC forum, it would just get responses like 'don't bother with Xray or Tamiya, get brand x/y/z because it's just better', as I've seen it happen many times before.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 15:42:41 

Fair enough.
I can't help you on your quest, all I can say is that I have had 3 xray T3s (2010, 2011 and 2012) and they have all been excellent.
The 2012 is by far IMO the best T3. The cars are well designed, behave well on the track and are very reliable.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 17:00:50 

The T3'11 is/was not way better than the TRF 417! Both (and even some others) are great cars. It's up on the driver's aims. If you want more initial steering and faster turning in tight sections then the T3'11 is/was better than the TRF 417 a little.

BUT: Stop saying 'way' when comparing the T3 (or cars generally) to brands that won several world titles in this class already. If you decide to go for the T3'12 ... do yourself a flavor and keep the TRF shocks! Sorry that I have to say this.

Last edited by Green Wing on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:37:56, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 14:11:04 

+1 Greenwing. I don't see how anyone can say the '012 is the best T3 - how long have you owned it? How many different tracks have you run it at? Have you run it on grippy asphalt and non-grippy asphalt? Have you done a comparison between the two using tyres of equal usage.

I would certainly hope it is the best - but a bit ealry to start making assertions to a driver who is thinking about XRAY. The '011 had major problems when it was released (could have been the T3 but sure it was the '011) as did the '009 (not so major but caused a lot of people some issues); of course in many ways unsurprising and importantly resolved by XRAY very quickly with free upgrades etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:24:16 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 18:52:58 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 16:13:37 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 17:03:34 
team driver

For the normal customer, XRAY is by far the best choice. The drivetrain and such do not wear as much as on other high-end touring cars. You don't need to replace that many parts. The car handles well on all surfaces. The support is normally very good both on-line and at races!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:47:40 

True but there's ONE other with the same high quality. For sure Xray is the most customer-friendly brand in RC. As for the spares, I have NO drivetrain parts in my spare box! They really just would collect dust. Ok, if you count the blades and wheelnuts then I have a few. :-)