[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Unstable T3

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 18:17:03

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Unstable T3
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 20:27:28 

I struggled with my car all day at RugRacers at the weekend. I basically had too much rotation under power, so had to be really soft on the throttle. I also never felt comfortable on the straight and wasn't able to put the car where I wanted with confidence - especially on the in field dog leg (I guess because that was steering under power).

I tried to dial this out during the day and did make some progress. The best change was going to 5 and 5 droop (I started at 5 and 4). However the problem still persisted.

Putting the car on the setup gauges when I got home, I noticed that the read toe in was 2 on the near side and 3 on the off side. I guess this definitely won't help - but could this be the problem?

As to curing it, the two sides of the car are identical and the hinge pins aren't bent - so I guess I'm into looking for something that's tweaked somewhere. Has anybody else suffered this and any advice where to look? I'm tempted to renew all of the rear suspension components, but that's a lot of cost for a not guaranteed fix!

I also feel that the gear diff is tighter than I remember it - it's a specr with 1000cst oil. It was definitely quite a bit tighter than my friends, but his was an xray diff with 500cst oil.

Don

Post subject: Re: Unstable T3
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 01:03:26 

I found that the rear hinge pin mount for the rear wishbones doesn't line up perfectly.
It only seems to have to out by a fraction and the rear toe is screwed.

I just used the appropriate shims to bring the rear toe to what I wanted each side.

Out of interest, how was the handling on your friends car with the 500Cst oil in the gear diff?

Skiddins

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:05:24 

Thanks Skiddins, will try that. What effect will uneven rear toe have?

The lighter oil gave his car more rotation on corner entry.

Don

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 23:46:41 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 13:28:58 

The car was equally bad (unpredictable) last night, even after a complete rebuild and correcting the rear toe.

One thing I had pointed out to me was that the chassis is very worn on the motor side as a result of the outdoor season. So much so that it is wafer thin under the motor and starting to delaminate. The theory is that the car is tweaking very easily.

So I'm going to replace the chassis and see whether that improves things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 16:42:01 

As for carpet racing, when I found an unstable weird acting car it turned out that it was a too low body specially on the sides when running some more droop. Standing still the body height was at 5mm and I never thought that this could be too low for smooth carpet tracks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 21:22:37 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 00:58:31 

The chicane at my local track is very unforgiving on the chassis underside under the motor too - you only have to look at the motor! I am not saying it isn't that but the wear there has never caused me a handling issue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 01:12:00 

Yeah I know. But I'm at a loss as to what else it could be. Just been through a significant rebuild exercise replacing all bearings, rebuilding all drive shafts, checking hinge pins are flat, replaced c-hubs, knuckles and rear uprights, rebuilt gear diff. I'm not sure there's much else it could be.

One difference is that I've gone onto sweep tyres (from sorex) for the indoor season. Perhaps they just don't suite my driving style :?

I'm about to upgrade to a T3'12 and give my son the t3, but need to resolve these handling difficulties first :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 13:22:57 

One way is to run the car on asphalt and see if it is OK - I assume it was running on asphalt before. If it is OK then that suggests it is the carpet setup, then again I suspect you are using a carpet setup that has worked before. But if nothing is broken/tweaked then the problem suggests the setup is giving you too much front grip and/or too little rear grip. Perhaps you could post you setup for others to have a look at.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 13:24:42 

.... although it does not necessarily explain your earlier comment about feeling uncomfortable on the straight :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 18:12:39 

The setup is not far off the standard kit one. 2.8/2.6 springs, 5/4 droop, 450/350 shock oil, 5.0/5.5 ride height, 2/1.5 camber. I'm running a spec-r gear diff with 1000cst oil, and have removed the top deck posts and the 2 rear most screws from front of top deck.

The uncomfortableness on the straights is that I have problems putting the car where I want it, so frequently have to back out early before the sweeper at the end of the straight as my line is wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 20:36:38 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 14:11:51