[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Droop!

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 06:33:17

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Droop!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:13:55 

How does droop effect a cars characteristics?

What effect does having more droop have?

What effect does having less droop have?

Can you have too much droop or too little?

I am setting up my 808 for the first time and I am following the set-up sheet found in the forums knowledge base. It advises to use -2 droop on the front and the rear, is this a good starting point?

The track I race on is:-

- Dry
- Dusty
- Bumpy
- Hard
- Tight

Cheers

Nigel James

Post subject: Re: Droop!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 18:27:30 

Droop effects suspension travel and weight transfer.

The rougher a track gets, the more droop I run so that the wheels can stay in contact with the ground more. You can't get traction when the wheels aren't on the ground.

On a smooth track, I run less droop because it isn't needed. Also around here, the smooth tracks tend to have more traction. So I also use the decreased droop to offset the added weight transfer from the increased traction.

It's all about finding that balance and I don't make drastic adjustments to my droop. 3 to 4 mm max for me typically.

Experiment and see what you like. Droop is a quick and easy change. Go to a track and run full droop for a tank. Bring it back in the pits and take out 5 or 6mm then run another tank. A big adjustment like that will allow you to feel the difference and help you understand the feel better than reading what others have to say.

You say you run on a dry, bumpy track. I personally would start somewhere near full droop and decrease until you find that sweet spot. I doubt you will decrease it much though.

Post subject: Re: Droop!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 13:08:57 

Thanks for explaining.

Your idea of starting out with max droop and decreasing it until I find the sweet spot is a good idea.

Cheers