[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Springs for Electric 808 and shock settings?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 00:47:59

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Springs for Electric 808 and shock settings?
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 22:31:55 

With all the E conversions out there, what springs and shock settings are ya'll running? Seems to be a ton of odd setups in the E 808 pics I've seen so far.

Anyone know any places to get the 8 hole and 10 hole pistons other than Ebay?

I just finished my conversion. Running a Turnigy 4500/4S/30c, Tekin 1900, Losi battery box, JC body, etc.
My setup is way too soft for big jumps with Josh Wheelers Worlds shock setup. That was perfect for running nitro though. But I can make do this weekend by rolling the one big jump we have. Only the fastest guys are gaining time there anyway, the rest are just sliding around on landing and loseing more time going big.

Not sure how stiff to make it. Trying to get an Idea of what springs and pistons to add to my pit box. Not really sure how stiff the suspension is supposed to be. Usually I try to be as soft as possible and stiffen up as needed.

I'm thinking:
Front- Blue spring, 1.5x6, 45 wt AE oil
Rear- BlueGrey spring, 1.3x6, 40wt Ae oil

Post subject: Re: Springs for Electric 808 and shock settings?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 06:10:54 

I'm running grey/blue all the way around.I think what made the biggest difference was drilling 2 more holes in stock 1.3 pistons w/35 losi oil all the way around. Nice & soft for most of the track & stiff enough for slamming into jump faces & big landings & just about right though slightly abrupt on square pot holes.

I do run the almost exact same weight bias as stock front to rear & left to right just with a heavy ass 4s 6k mah battery so it might not be the same if you got a more forward (monster 808 tray) weight bias or lighter battery.

BTW speaking of shocks I put those new ribbed shock bladder in to day & what they do to the shocks I dont know but would recomend them simply for how much nicer/easier/consistent they make shock bleeding.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 06:54:37 

Wow, 6000mah, and only grey-blue springs are needed.

Thats good news. I'm about to order a set of Grey-blues and a set of blues for bigger jump tracks. Glad i won't need violets to.

I'll grab some extra pistons to drill up. Just use a mini finger drill or do I need a drill press to keep the bit perpindicular to the piston?

I'm looking into picking up a pair of Turnigy 4S 5800mah packs, 630 grams. Everyones running thier batteries forward in Losi's and Xrays. The Losi tray takes up my entire chassis lngth, but I can move the battery back or forth about 3/4". I have it in the middle of the tray for now. The car is slightly balenced further towards the nose than a nitro, but not too much.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 05:23:02 

Run the 1.3 6 hole in front with silver springs and losi 40w
Run the 1.3 5 hole in rear with gray blue and losi 27.5

This is DIALED for an E setup. WIll not slap on jumps. I was floored when I put this on. Never change it now.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 00:24:38 

Thanks Slay, I'll try that.

I was going to get the blu springs, but if everyones still useing the blue-grays I'll stick to those.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 02:56:35 

So 40 and 27.5 shock oils seem to be the key? I don't know what I have now (bought used) as far as oil. I have no idea what springs either. They're kinda silver/aluminum looking. Looking online I guess they're the Gray, maybe the Silver front and rear.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 23:15:32 

The silvers are unpainted, i think. I'll go check. So if yours are painted silver they're probally gray. But those are kinda rare being so soft and all.

I keep 30,35,40, 50, 60wt AE oils in my pit box.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 02:12:05 

Looking at mine they do seem unpainted, so I guess they are silvers. I also found what appears to be blue/grays front and rear as well as some blue fronts in the package of stuff I got with mine. Just need to work on getting some shock oil. I have some 50wt and 60wt Team Losi I use for my Slash, will probably stick with that brand.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 01:46:06 

I tried 1.3 Sliver 40wt/1.3 Greyblu 40wt.
Car seemed to be easy to drive but lacked some pop in a couple spots. Maybe not enough front wheel rate on rebound.

So I changed to 1.3 Blugray 40wt/ 1.3 blugray 40wt.
felt better but understeered on entry and my front droop is a bit excessive I think. we got rained out so i couldn't adjustr much more.

I'm going to change to 1.3 blugray 35wt/ 1.3 blugray 40wt next weekend. Remove a mm of droop and increase caster to this setup:
xform/index.php?act=edit&ID=1298&setup=xb808

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 14:46:08 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 01:58:49 

Go with 30. Stiffer is a safer bet if your track has big jumps.

I'm going to 1.3/40 1.3/50 for my next race. Need to stiffen the rear up a little in this hot weather. Still waiting for amain to ship my back ordered pistons.

Then I'll run 1.3x8/50 and 1.1x10/40.

New E setup:
xform/index.php?act=view&ID=1314&setup=xb808

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 03:23:05 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 05:03:11 

OK I need to modify my statement for summer weather.

I went out in 95deg & 35 losi in 1.3x8 & grey/blue was really soft.Went to 42.5 front & 45 rear & front was good but rear was still springy.

I wasnt really ready for how much,extra holes changed the oil feel at temp changes.

Now for the part I dont understand I only went up to 37.5 on the gas car to compensate for the increased temp with the same pistons but silver springs. Possably the extra little over 1lbs weight difference between gas & elec power?

I'm gonna pull apart the elec shocks & check for air as it was a fast oil change at the track but I dont believe I'll find any.

Seems odd to me the big difference betwen the 2 with only 20deg temp change. They both felt the same with same oil & pistons but different springs two weeks before @ 75deg.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 07:01:09 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 09:43:42 

Front- blue-grey springs with 1.3 kit pistons and 40wt AE oil
Rear- silver or blue-grey springs with 1.3 kit pistons and 35wt AE oil

rough/choppy/ or loose track use the silvers, on a smoother, high traction, larger jump track go with blue-greys in the rear. if the track is a combination try both and see witch one you like better. But deffinetly leave the blue-greys on the front all the time.

i dont think i would run much thicker in oil than 35 and 40 i was thinking about going to 32.5 or 30 in the rear with the silvers for when our track gets really blown out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:08:35 

Mines a smallish hard pack with a couple of decent sized jumps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 20:56:54 

Ok, I've been steering kinda normal with blu grays all around. With silvers up front my chassis scrapes the ground in a speedy unphill turn. Way too soft with front silvers.

I barrowed a stiffer feeling grey Losi spring and now my car has a ton more rotation. Allmaost a bit too much! So I'm going to put Blue springs on the rear and see if those work as well. Maybe need Violets.

1.3x6 is too soft in the rear but seems ok up front. I'm going to put the setscrew into one of the piston holes now.