[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Radio box heat issue.....

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 04:27:49

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Radio box heat issue.....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 15:38:39 

I had heard concerns that the radio box on the 808 was getting some RX units too hot. I just recently switched radios and did not really want to take a chance on a thermal shut down.

I put a peice of coffee cup foam between the chassis and the bottom of the box to protect against conductive heat.
I used foil tape on the engine side of the box as well as under the elevated radio/switch side to protect against convective heat.
After running an entire fuel bottle with engine temps running around 260F, the box came in with an internal temp of 95F. Outside temp was 91F and very humid.

To make the foam work right I had to glue 3 - 3mm shims to the holes of the box. A little CA was all I used and it seems to have worked perfect.

Now I want to mill the bottom of my box and shim it off the chassis to minimize non-contact heat transfer. I will still use foil tape to see if I can keep the box the same temp.

I'll keep you guys up on what I find.
Hope this helps,
TEX
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 21:17:01 

I don't know if there is an issue. The only issue was with the Futaba FASST, I haven't seen any other 2.4 system malfunction. This car also uses the same radio box configuration that every 1/8 buggies as used (except Losi) since they were invented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 21:53:57 

I have not notice any issue with heating battery or receiver. Xray could make better access to this thing and mount switch like in jammin but this one of some thing which could be changed in 808.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 23:18:07 

Zero problem here. But you can put a piece of aluminum tape on the side of the batt box that faces the motor. This will greatly reflect heat away if you have a concern..

Last edited by Steve Walters on Sun Sep 14, 2008 23:27:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 23:18:16 

I think the switch on the jammin' is in a bad location, I have seen more of those take off because another car has hit it and broken the switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 15:56:57 

I have the Futaba FASST system, and i have no broblem att all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 17:30:29 

I did spend hours of my time and read tens of pages of forum threads about the FASST overheating issue. Its a fact, that FASST receiver turns itself off at 60-70 degrees Celsius. Just go and read about the buggy Euros, guys had problems, Savoya made holes into his radio box before final etc.

walste's information about that he has had no problems ... well nice to hear you haven't had any problems :wink: But it really doesn't help other guys who have had! Also you didn't specify if you have run 60-minute main final on a very hot summer day. I also haven't had any problems with FASST, because I have the module but haven't got the receivers because of the problem. Now its fall/winter and maybe I will order FASST receivers finally ;)

I measured about +50 degrees Celsius inside XT8 rado box after running some practice. It was ONLY about 25 Celsius outside. So the problem is easy to come!

It's a fact that you have problems with FASST if the rx gets hot. It's a fact that Xray radio box gets hot (hot day + heat from the engine). It's a bad mix of two... 60-70Celsius inside a radio box is too much, but the rx should work (non-FASST do work).

I think using foil+foam and mounting the rx as far as possible from the engine helps. I did a modification and didn't use the radio box at all, but it gave too much chassis flex on the truggy. I think it would be problem on the 808 also! I had to go back to using the radio box to get less chassis flex. IMHO too much chassis flex stresses the diff bevel gears, bearings etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 18:30:45 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 19:15:07 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 21:30:41 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 01:01:31 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 14:40:25 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 14:49:52 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 23:31:38 

If you run Futaba, run crystals, that's all there is to it...

2.4, I would recommend KO, it's the fastest 2.4 on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 02:08:32 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 18:26:44 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 08:17:40 

Futaba HRS Synthesized system is the best alternative to FASST. You can switch channels if needed, and its running in HRS Futaba's fastest mode. The only problem is, you can really reach out and touch someone with that Futaba antenna. LOL!

This is the fastest combo I've ever run, and feel much more in control of the car. Unfortunately I also had thermal protection issues with my FASST, and it was at the US Nationals... the worst possible place too have those issues.

This is the receiver that I now use in my 808, works great and never fails me.
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalog/1 ... 084123.htm

...and the module.
http://www.airlandhobbies.com/catalog/1 ... 084231.htm

This is solid radio gear, and is extremely fast. Also works well with the new brushles Hi-Res Futaba Servos. Nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 17:53:50 

I have seen a bunch of issues with those when they were new. If you run Futaba, the only way to go is with crystals. But this is only from what I've seen at the track.