[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Step-by-step building the X-Ray (E) 808 Buggy!..

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:26:20

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Step-by-step building the X-Ray (E) 808 Buggy!..
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 05:17:45 

Good evening Team,
I'm the newbie here but not to the RC world, I'm an extremely active member on several other forums but I was luckily enough to discover this site during my latest build / research. I hope you welcome me aboard to your family.. I love this site and joined it because you guys seam to all live and breath the XRay, so I'm hoping to expand my knowledge through your wisdom and experiences..

All of these pictures were taken over the Memorial day weekend. Please keep in mind this is my first buggy build from starch, I’ve had tons of MT (monster trucks) but since a new race track is opening up in Huntington Beach in three weeks I wanted to be ready for it.. I’ve never raced before but I'm really looking forward to it and I believe I chose wisely when I purchased the 808. Since this build I’ve also purchased the XB8 EC (got it on EBay for $250.00) score!! I’ll be using that buggy as a backup (just incase)..

With that said here is my version of the 808 (E) electrical build, Please feel free to forwards any and all comment..

Opening the box. (First impressions) Daaammmm… (I love the smell of new parts in the evening!)..

Here is what all of the parts look like all laid out. (This is going to require some thought!) I may have to actually read the instructions (NNnnnaaaa..).. I’ll just wing it for now..

Well lets get started shall we.. I think I will start with the Diffs and a screwdriver! (What??) :lol:
For starters I'm using the following fluids for the diff’s (7,000 in the front 30,000 in the centers and 3,000 in the rear) I'm also using a mixture of 60% Kettle one with 40% orange juice for the screwdriver..

Good news!.. These bad boys go together like the one’s I'm using on my GR3 & G3 / the ones RC-Monster sells in his hybrid diff’s kits.. (no worries)..

Well here are the diffs all completed and turning smooth… time for a refill and the next step…

Here is a part that I hate doing, but since I'm killing brain cells tonight I thought I might as well continue down that process. I’ve decided to seal all of the carbon fiber edges. (Good times) NOT!.. I'm just using my trusty cotton swabs, some CA glue and rubber gloves. I'm using the cotton swabs to ensure that I apply the correct amount and obtain the proper coverage throughout all of the edges..

Ok, all of the CF parts are done (nice and shinny!) OOooo shiny edges!!!, It’s time for another re-fill and lets move on to the…….. HUBS… sure why not!?. Well after a quick glance at the manual (yes I opened it!) I need to do the front transmission now!. Wow this detailed, better review the manual for a while to ensure proper installation techniques are used..

Ok were making some progress now!, let’s see next I’ll install the A-Arms for the rear suspension, better do another refill while I'm at it.. Here the setup in it laid out format.. (Rear) Oooo the rear sway bar is included so I guess this will be going on as well..

Ok the A-Arms are installed now lets move on the rear drive train and the wing mount.. Dang there are lot of parts in this bag and it’s getting late wish me luck.. better have one more re-fill for the road.

Ok the rear suspension is complete..

I'm going to bed.. Thanks for looking and please feel free to leave any and all comments that arise during your review..

Have a great one team.. Total build to date 5 hrs.

Well after a nasty hangover and several aspirins latter it time to move onward and forward with the project. It time to start the front suspension, better crack open a bottle of wine it’s going to be a long night, tonight’s selections of brain altering substances will be played by a 2002 Chalone Vineyard Pinot Noir, with a 14.2% ahl content. Wine spectator rates this at 97 points. Well that’s enough of the culture hour, lets move on the build shall we..

Here is the front suspension laid out and OOOoo goodie I get to install the front sway bar..

Ok that was easy, now it time for the front drive train again lots of parts and yes I'm reviewing the manual for reference. (Lets see insert slot A into tab b, over the line C, GOT IT!)..

Ok, the glass is empty and the front suspension is all done, time for another re-fill and some more pictures..

Cool, the wine and I starting to kick some butt now, here are some shoots of the front and rear suspensions all completed, I was extremely impressed with the quality of everything so far, X-Ray molds and pieces are far superior to any other plastic parts I’ve have ever worked with to-date. Can wait to see how it looks when it’s all complete..

Ok, now were moving along now at a nice and steady pace.. Now the real fun gets to start, it looks like I can finally start messing with the chassis.. I’ll be installing the front & rear ends and the support bracket, better top off the glass for this one..

Ok the front and rear drive train is installed but something is wrong??. What is this “droop” thing??, I set my Digital caliper @ 4mm for the rear and 2mm for the front and it just looks / feels wrong!! Any thoughts / suggestions gentlemen??.. and yes NOTE the totally awesome (spare no expense) stand that I continue to use….

Well with the initial drive train installed and the first bottle gone, it’s now time to start the installation of my steering and open another bottle, I’ll be finishing up the night with a Meridian Pinot Noir @ 13.8% and I’ve got Chuck Berry (Johnny be good) playing in the back ground.. Life is good..

Wow… That took forever to get it right!! (FYI) You will want to measure the bolts for accuracy at this phase moving forward. Eyeing them just doesn’t work.. Trust me!!!… This is where we stand after 10hrs of forward progress. FYI… (I'm craving a breakfast burrito from Jack in the box) Dam there closed!!!!

So here we are another 5hrs into the build and we’ve completed the following:
• Front and rear drive train and suspension installation
• Installation of the drive train on the chassis
• Total hours spent to date = 10 hrs..

Well I've finished off two bottles of wine and it’s now 2:40 am my time (pst) so I’ve got to bed.. I'm pooped

Stay toned for tomorrow update!! the installation of the center drive shaft and more!!!..

Thanks for viewing and have a great one!!!

Good morning team, today I decided to move the build inside so I could spend to time with the family, while kids were watching sponge bob, I was planning my next step, IE installing the center drive shaft. This ended up being relatively painless with the only modifications to date being the removal of the Nitro braking & altering the servo plate.

With that installation completed it was time to install the side plates, hey it’s starting to look like a buggy at this point..

Now with the main chassis installed it was time to move on to the steering servo installation

So with the basic chassis complete it was time move on to the construction of the shocks. I was extremely impressed with these / quality. I’ve had lots of experience dealing with the Traxxas big bore and the Integy MSR ones but these (but far) are superior.

Please note that these bad boys consist of no less than 22 components per shock!

And they are HUGE!!! Here is the spring diameter

Well with the internal parts installed and set at 50% rebound, I used a cutting tool on a Dermal to cut a little groove in the centre of the adjusting nut. I did this after I had assembled the shocks and made sure it was screwed all the way on to the body. It just means you can easily make equal adjustments left and right and up and down

Excellent, now that the shocks are built it’s time for the installation of these bad boys, witch in turns brings me one step closer to completion. I did find it weird that the front right and rear left required a special silver screw turned counter turned clockwise is required, but hay who am I to question the manufacture / direction requirements. Especially at this hour.

Ok I'm totally stocked at this point, now it’s time to install the rims and tires and the wing on this bad boy,
Yes I went the easy route and just purchased a set of buggy wheels with Bow-Tie installed on them already.

So that’s about it for now, I’ve already obtained a Neu 1515 1.5y motor and a MGM controller and 5s Lipo, so now I just need to wait for the mailman to bring me my battery try, motor mount and my body I sent out to pyrographix for a top notch paint job and I’ll be good to go.. I'm hoping to have the bad boy up and running within the next few weeks.. Total build hours from start to finish is just over 15 hrs. (It was my first buggy build) cut me some slack. HHhhhaaaa hhaaa…

I also ordered the following hop-up parts I’ll be receiving in about 2-3 weeks.

$190.00 - (2) - #355102 - XRAY XB808 ACTIVE DIFFT
$30.00 - (1) - #352093 - XB808 FRONT ALU SHOCK TOWER SWISS 7075 T6 (3MM) - HARD COATED
$31.00 - (1) - #353093 - XB808 ALU REAR SHOCK TOWER SWISS 7075 T6 (3MM) - HARD COATED
$38.00 - (1) - #352303 - XB808 ALU FRONT LOWER SUSP. HOLDERS SET - SWISS 7075 T6 (7MM) - HARD COATED
$58.00 - (1) - #353303 - XB808 ALU REAR LOWER SUSP. HOLDERS SET- SWISS 7075 T6 (7MM) - HARD COATED
$31.00 - (1) - #352087 - XB808 FRONT ALU BRACE SWISS 7075 T6 (5MM) - HARD COATED
$31.00 - (1) - #353086 - XB808 ALU REAR BRACE SWISS 7075 T6 (5MM) - HARD COATED
$15.00 - (1) - #352573 - XB808 ALU STEERING PLATE SWISS 7075 T6 (3MM) - HARD COATED - 3 ACKERMANN POSITIONS
$60.00 - (2) - #355143 - ACTIVE DIFF LARGE BEVEL GEAR 43T
$15.00 - (1) - #354051 - XB808 GRAPHITE CENTER DIFF MOUNTING PLATE

Yes- yes – I Know that these extra parts aren’t required Blllaaaa bllaaa blaaa but I hay, I just haft to be me and I plan on using the parts off my 808 on my XB8 EC and converting it to an 808, I also discovered that the Active diffs will work on both of buggies so I purchased two as noted above..

That’s all I’ve got for tonight,

Thank you so much for your time in reviewing this post and Have a great one team.

The Newbie..:D ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 05:44:24 

Thats a heck of a post..... :shock:

Your building a great buggy, and look to be ordering every aftermarket part made so far for this buggy, but why are you puting a cheap(er) servo in it?

Z590M Torque Race Servo: Metal Gear
- Torque: 85 oz/in at 6V
- Speed: .15 sec/60° at 6V

You'll be lucky to get one day of racing in on that servo.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 05:58:10 

Great pics!! Congrats on buying the best buggy on the planet!! And I'm scratching my head a wondering, like Steve, why the cheap servo?

Post subject: Re: Step-by-step building the X-Ray (E) 808 Buggy!..
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 07:18:01 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 08:10:12 

Post subject: Re: Step-by-step building the X-Ray (E) 808 Buggy!..
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 08:17:15 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 13:20:44 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 14:04:50 
team driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 15:28:49 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 15:41:28 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 15:43:18 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:17:33 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 16:41:00 

Post subject: You Guys ROCK.. (thank you)..
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 19:32:02 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 20:23:33 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 20:56:10 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 22:10:58 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 22:23:50 
team driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 22:50:50