[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Bearings in the Steering?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Sun Jul 28, 2024 08:28:57

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bearings in the Steering?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 03:30:51 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 03:54:12 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 09:10:01 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 17:53:12 

Not sure off the top of my head dude. Someone will post it up pretty soon, I never did it. I just replace the bushings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 18:43:09 

I was thinking about that as well,,there is a thread around here somewhere that discusses that.

something about using some size of a bushing then a bearing in the center of that.

Mine works good enough for now, if I see the need to change that then I will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 05:44:41 

I would rather have bushings on the diff plate. This is a dirty, after run oil, area with alot of dirt clinging to the oil that has rubbed off you airfilter. The that dirt will work its way into the bearings and making it more gritty than bushings. my 2 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 05:48:48 

Unless you want to modify parts or possibly use parts from other brands, there isnt really much you can do with the steering slider because of the servo saver arm, unless you could make a taller bush (about 3mm taller roughly), glue it into the servo saver, then run a bearing with a 5mm inner on the exposed part of the bush and make a new steering plate that is a couple of mm wider so you could mount flanged bearings in there. The slider would then sit those few mm higher, which might either foul on something or change the steering geometry. I'm not sure off the to pof my head.

Maybe one of X-Rays engineers could shed a but of light on how, if at all this sort of modification affects the steering geometry? eg changing angles of tie rods etc

This is how thunder tiger do it. Look at PD1858 on this page to see what i mean.

I've got the eb4 s2 not the s3, otherwise i would compare the two sliders to see if they'd interchange.

I'm heading down to my LHS during my lunch break, so i'll compare the x-ray slider to the thunder tiger one. I'll post the results.

There are no bearings that will fit in the centre diff plate. the hole is 7mm, the smallest flanged bearings i can find are 8mm. a bearing with 7mm outer 5mm inner doesnt exist unfortunately. That was the first thing i looked at replacing when i was first building my xb8-tq. I have no problems with dirt in the brake cam bearings, I've had more problems with plastic bushes personally. Bearings are at least sealed to an extent. I give mine a quick hit with nitro-cleaner (or something similar) and all the crud just runs out.

I have done these two things to my eb4 s2 and it made an amazing difference to how smooth the steering is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 04:21:04 

I got fed up with the bushings in the diff plate months ago. As they wear out the braking becomes inconsistent and they can melt from getting too hot. If you use a 5x8 rubber sealed flanged ball bearing it can be made to fit the graphite plate. All you need is a drill press, a rat tail file and a 5/16 drill bit.

Center the bushing hole on the bit by running the bit down with the drill press turned off. You must then fix the graphite plate to the drill press using a clamp so it can not move. Now with the bit centered in the hole back it off and start the press. You should be drilling from the top of the plate down to the bottom. Drill the hole out very slowly and don't push through at the bottom to quickly or you will splinter the plate. A piece of masking tape across the bottom might help with this issue.

Now you will have a 7.94mm hole and a bearing that is around 7.98mm. Slowly file out the hole with the 1/2 round side of a rat tail file stopping to check if the bearing fits frequently. The objective is to get an interference fit so the bearing outer race can't rotate in the hole (which will just wear out the plate) once you press it in. I've been using the same plate for about 6 months now and the bearings are fine. Put a drop of mobil 1 on them every few months and you are all set. I use this setup with Avid indos pads and have consistent brakes in every event.

I got the idea from my Jammin CRT. It comes with bearings in the top plate and fiber brakes. The stop the truck on a dime and my XRay didn't so I improvised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 04:36:06 

Yeah I've felt the Thunder Tiger buggy with the bearings in the steering and it is super smooth. You can actually feel the servo gears from the wheels of the buggy.

I've seen examples of the bearings in the graphite diff plate too. But I'm running the aluminum plate and I would rather run it with bushings than change to the graphite plate with bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 05:19:00 

I have an aluminum plate and am going to mod that to fit the bearings as well. I just have to find the right bit to drill the hole properly without messing up the aluminum plate. I guess I'm just looking to countersink the bearing hole at 8mm...anyone got any ideas....
I can't stand the bushings on the brakes...the entire car is mercedes like in quality and then the bushings in the plate are very Yugo esque....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 16:41:38 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 17:56:11 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 02:56:10 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 02:58:52