[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - XB9E Painting the wing?

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 23:15:56

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: XB9E Painting the wing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 04:35:48 

Hello

This is my first posting on this forum, and it comes with what I hope is a simple question.

I am a new owner of a XB9E, having previously been an owner of 1/10 scale cars including an XRAY XB4, (Which I still happily own) I wanted to try a larger scale buggy and the brand new XB9E seemed the right choice.

Like all the other new XB9E owners, I am awaiting the new XRAY body to come out, but in the mean time I have settled on the FTW Night Fox body to paint.

Upon examining the wing for my XB9E I became a little concerned about painting the wing. I would like to at least paint part of the wing with a color which matches the body.
Unlike the polycarbonate of the typical bodies available, the wing's plastic composition appears to be made from a flexible type material similar to the acetal plastic used in the model railroad industry. Typically Acetal plastic has an oily base material within its composition, which allows it to be flexible without breaking. That same material however prevents paint from sticking to it easily.

I am concerned about painting directly on the wing as I fear the paint will just peel off over time. I was thinking to give the paint more "Bite" that I would scuff up the wing with 500 - 600 grit sandpaper first before applying my first coat.
I typically use the Pactra Racing finish, which I hope I can use on the wing as well as the body.

I was curious what other 1/8 scale XRAY owners out there were/are doing to properly paint the wings of your 1/8 scale buggy?

Thank You

BNSFBILL
Boise Id.

Post subject: Re: XB9E Painting the wing?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 09:42:05 

Hello,

in 1/8th painting the wing isn't that common (as in 1/10), the prefered way is either the use of vinyl decals/ sticker or using wings in a different color.
With the wing being one of the most exposed and 'abused' part, painting won't last very long :?

regards