[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Big 808 Shock Sealing problem

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 05:21:53

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Big 808 Shock Sealing problem
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 13:21:49 

Hi all,

I have been using the 2010 808 for a few months now and ever since i got the kit i cant seem to stop the shocks from leaking oil.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Its leaking from the shock caps because i did the LOSI shock cap mod to my xray ones which is to drill a small hole in the top of the cap and run foam between the bladder and the cap to have a more consistant rebound. But they were leaking before i made this mod.

What happens is when the shocks have a big enough impact on the shafts the bladder pops itself out of place and oil escapes from the body and goes into the shock cap which then leaks out of the top.
All 4 of my shocks are like this and its causing loss of oil, as well as very inconsistant rebound. Its giving me the s**ts. I have spent hrs trying to fix this. I definatley know how to build a shock but from what i have read no one else has had these problems?

From what i can gather, the caps arent coming down the body far enough to create a tight seal between the cap-bladder-body. Therefore the bladder slips out of its positions and lets oil pass.
Ive done everything i can to fix this problem and im convinced i can't. Ive put a set of Hong Nor big bores on and havent looked back.

Can someone help or clarify that i am doing something wrong. I think id rather hear that im doing something wrong rather than hearing its a common problem. Also the bottom o-rings are leaking to. Im not happy at all with the quality. Ive come to the conclusion that my shocks have been machined incorrectly.

THanks in advance,
JK

Post subject: Re: Big 808 Shock Sealing problem
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 22:30:09 

O-rings use Kyosho the orange ones-Solves the issue

Post subject: Re: Big 808 Shock Sealing problem
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 01:03:34 

On the bladder issue, how much rebound are you running, what weight oil and piston size, silver springs? If the oil is to thick and the piston holes to small, doesnt matter what you do, youll pop the bladder out. you have to remember that the more initial rebound you have the more fluid you put in the shock body, as the shock compresses, the shaft lowers the amount of volume that the shock body can hold, this is where the rubber membrane comes in. I've had friends pop bladders on the truggy cause they ran to much rebound on the longer truggy shocks. I know this is a buggy issue, but if your runnign to thick a oil and small pistons, it might be a good start to fixing your problem. of course it could just be liek you said, the threads on the top of the shock body or the cap were improperly done, but on all 4 shocks is unlikely. the lower oring, only had an issues when the shafts got to old and would flat spot the orings after a race or two, doubt that is your problem with the orings seeing how new your kit is. Even when I put new shafts and orings in the shocks, they still leak a lil, I think its more just fluid on the shaft than leaking, I can open them up and they look full. If I let my buggy or truggy sit in my pickup too long exposed to the sun they will leak, but I'm sure that just the oil expanding due to the heat and forcing it's way out of the shock.