[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Diff clicking/chattering

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 13:29:45

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Diff clicking/chattering
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 06:28:10 

So at this weekend's race I had my front diff make some awful clicking/chattering sounds when I get hard on the brakes. I assume it's the diff gears jumping teeth or something along those lines, but I just changed fluids and all 3 diffs appear to be perfect as far as gear wear. Could this just be a shimming issue? I have not torn it back down just yet, but will do that this week. Should I order new bevel gears anyway? The Truggy only has @ 3-4 gallons on the chassis...give or take and diff fluids have been changed at least every 3/4 gallon or so.

Bevel gears are like $17 per set or so....so I don't want to order them just for the heck of it. Any ideas here? A few locals just said "You're diff sounds like it's ready to go out". I've only been racing a year thus far, so although I have picked up a LOT of technical things quickly....their statements weren't exactly clear ;-) When I tear it down, I can take pics as well....just wanted to get this post up quick. I'm currently leading my club race series in points...and I'd like to stay that way ;-)

Post subject: Re: Diff clicking/chattering
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 07:49:50 

On a truggy due to extra force of breaking if the diffs are not shimmed it will slip/jump on the gears causing the clicking noise. Depends how long it was clicking will depend if its damaged.
Always shim it to remove as much of the play as you can by putting shims between the bevel gear & bearing attached to it. Each pack has a qty of 10 shims.
962080 ( 8x10x0.1 )
962081 ( 8x10x0.2 )

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 15:14:58 

So the shims go on the diff itself under the bearing on the side of the bevel gear? I need to have a look at my pinion gears as well since I rarely check those. I just want to get these diffs back in non-clicking working order by the 22nd. Thanks for the info Brandon! I'll be tearing it down hopefully tomorrow night to see what's up with it.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 17:42:03 

and adjust the play by adding the shims. Usually you have to have some shims between the bearing and bevel gear. You still need to have SOME play there so don't shim it too much.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 20:09:34 

Awesome thanks Lauri! This XT8 has been pretty much bulletproof since I started running it...and it's the original spec to boot.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 16:32:06 

I tore down the truck completely last night...sure enough the front pinion gear got chewed up pretty badly. I had metal flakes all over the diff builkheads, the diff itself, and the pinion gear. It looks as though the Bevel gear may be OK, but the Pinion is trash for sure. I guess I found my problem ;-)

On another note, has anyone had any issues with the CVD pins coming loose repeatedly? I seem to have one wheel that refuses to keep it's CVD pin in no matter what I do. I had to replace a steering knuckle because the pin came loose and chewed it all up, and this was after the pin had come loose at least 3 times. I tore the truck down again, and the same pin is loose and chewed up yet another steering knuckle on me. The set screw was still tight, and had plenty of lock tite on it. This particular driveshaft was also new less than 1 gallon ago.

Any ideas short of maybe going to red loctite?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 18:57:35 

For all the drive pins i lightly touch the centre of the pin with a dremel, just enough to put a mark on it. THis now gives an area for the grub screw to lock on so it will not slide out. THe centre shafts have a new specific pin that is machined but for me a dremel has been fine.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 20:46:20 

Dremel sounds like an excellent tip. Just keeps sliding off the grub and man those steering knuckles aren't cheap! I've been holding off on Alum ones until I get the CVD pin problem solved. Thanks Bren. I'll give it a whirl tonight.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 21:43:27 

I did the same thing with the dremel. My right front also kept coming loose, and since I used the dremel it hasn't happened again.