[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Q & A With Brennan Ralls

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 01:22:42

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Q & A With Brennan Ralls
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 23:23:41 

Hey Bren

i was just curious about the setup you use at the Clanfields track and i searched for some pics of the exact condition of the track

is this the track you are talking about?
http://www.bolwextric.co.uk/rem/pic.html

omg you need a rock crawler to race this track ! :-)
i bet the local stores are making great money there :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 17:59:09 

The pictures shown are of it in its early stages this year when it had just been done to the new layout, it was a pit rough as it was to wet to roller properly. Links below are of my car doing a few laps at the SRS event a month or so later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCI1MCemaw
setup sheet. xform/index.php?act=view&ID=1223&setup=xb808

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 22:12:59 

i think that at you needed a little more stiffer back because it was a bit bumpy on off power
the rear suspension was "working" too mutch off power and was not staying on road
i would try 1.3x8 500-550 front
and 1.4x6 with 600 at the rear
also try mounting the rear wing a bit further back same height
this could also calm down the back of the car

seems to have good grip at the parts when you wanted real good acceleration to make difference

nice track but he sould change the terain to something more soft and not so rocky
track will last longer and the cars wont sideways stuck so easy.

Brennan have you seen http://tapatv.gr ?
it my Live RC Channel from Greece :-)
i do live coverage to every event i race :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 22:52:45 

With the surface you can not always get the perfect soil, but when this is preped is fery fast & great to race on. The cost to any small club can be high for this sort of work plus in the uk we get no help from the authority so any money is what is earnt & saved for by the club.
The clanfield track is used every week so gets a real good hammering, It only gets preped once or twice a year for the big events so the rest of the time will get rough but its offroad racing not snoring cars.
Set up wise its often a compromise to soak up the big stuff & have corner balance or soak the bumps, clanfield has a funny grip that will punish you if you go soft as the car collapses or the shocks fade. We will often compromise the beginning of a final a little to have a better car 1/4 of the way till the end when the real race settles down.

Your live channel will take a look when home tomorrow as work pc is to slow & has to many restriction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 15:43:05 

Hi Bren, me again with the older XB8TQ.
Well we have been fiddleing with the track and have come up with what looks to be the final layout.
Here is a rough video of the track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djIIFSEUH50

Handling wise I feel I have my car pretty well sorted now.
Question I have is that today I let some long time racers have a crack and both commented that it felt very "twitchy" in the back when powering on.
Ie come out of a corner and accelerate, the back tries to overtake the front and fishtails everywhere, I am currently running with "Blue" Extra Soft compound "Battle star" tyre

I have also tried the EXP Exagon in "White" Medium compound,

But I find there is too much side bite and the car tips over when cornering.

I currently have 5000 oil in front centre and rear, should I raise the rear oil to 7000 or 10000?
I also run an active diff in the front.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 21:02:57 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 22:58:49 

Hi Bren I noticed you moved up on the diff oils from 552 anything specific for the 2010 or just the tracks your hittin..?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 08:14:23 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:01:51 

Bren Jerome seems to like 4/4/2 on your posted setup sheet I see that you are running 5/5/2 wrong setup sheet ?

I was jut curious as to the concept of the diff oil I see Teemu was running 10/10/3.

I tried 10K on the 808 and it was near impossible to drive, honestly how the Euro champs can drive such high numbers is beyond me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:59:58 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 15:03:14 

Bren, yeah I noticed the difference in between brands, I was running ultimate oils on my truggy and when i checked thinking that i had 10k in the diffs turns out it was 12k.

Thanks for the info..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 08:46:06 

Hi Bren new to off road racing ,got a XB8ec i intend to race it @ http://www.prcc.co.uk (in preston) or http://www.nnrc.co.uk
don't know if you now these tracks ?
can you help with a set up sheet for the said track?? i have 5000/7000/3000 diff oils and 45 shock F/R
Would the 808 shocks fit the xb8ec?
your help would be appreciated
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 22:11:30 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 22:35:09 

Hi bren,

im new to all this racing/buggy malarky, so you may have to bear with me.

ive bough a 808 '09 spec used to race at kmrc in kent with. my problem is the last 2 meet ive blown a steering/throttle servo each time.

due to only just starting and dealing with the outlay of getting set up, my first meet i put some bluebird servos in there. i came back from lunch and the servo was outright dead. no problems with gears, just dead. so i got me a pair of ace 1015 servos, and within 1 lap of practice, again, throttle/brake servo is dead. again no problems with gears, just nothing happening.

are there any specific reasons this might be happening? im gonna go through the manual and make sure i set it up exactly as it says, but the one thing i find is the bluebird ive put back in is alot taller that the ace. this means its lugs are about 5mm above the top deck. i think this may cause problems as a) i need to rasie it higher, so its not sitting on the chassis, and b) its going to make all my brake linkage sit at a funny angle and probably bind.

for the moment i cant afford more outlay on another servo instead of the bluebird, and i inten to try and get the ace fixed, but its not something i can do before next race day so id love to get it going with what i have. i do havea hitec 645 servo in something else i could try tho.

i doubt there is a easy or simple answer to this, but i thought you would be the man to ask.

thanks alot
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 08:01:58 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 23:19:15 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 08:29:04 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 21:11:05 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 22:03:35 

hello again bren,

im just wondering if you've got any basic advice on me finding a bit more grip at kmrc.

Last week i raced for the 3rd time, and after qualifying i was 2 slowest out of 20 racers, with a best lap of 56 secs. This was with the track being bone dry and very dusty.

At lunch it rained quite heavily, and i was first on to race in the C final. Someone lent me some tyres, pro line step ups, and i ended up coming 2nd with a fastest lap of 42 secs!

now i obviously had good race, but the grip was amazing! i had so much more control over the car. i know its gonna be obvious that a dusty track has less grip than a wet one, but i need to find some more grip for normal conditions, and am unsure where to start. ive read through the hudy set up guide, but again its a little daunting.

the main thing i find when its dry and dusty is that the steering is almost too responsive, and i suppose its oversteer i get a little to much, it likes to spin out a bit too much

the set up im using at the moment is as close to this as i can get it without any of the hop up parts on my 2009 spec

xform/index.php?act=print&ID=1173&setup=xb808

i have the options of silver, blue grey or dark blue springs. ive been using the silvers

i also find the buggy kicks up over the bumps more than id like, well the back does.

i dont expect you to lay out exactly what i need to do, but if you could point me in the right direction of this elusive grip, that would be a great help..

oh and the new servo lasted the whole day last time, so i guess thats that problem sorted! :D

cheers

Paul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 08:05:07 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next