[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - stripped screw and bulkheads

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 00:22:25

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: stripped screw and bulkheads
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 00:22:18 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 04:31:12 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 04:59:28 

It depends on what type of screw head and where it is. I've done either of the following.

1. Button head: use a dremel cutting wheel to completely cut off the head of the screw and remove the shaft with pliers.
2. Counter sunk head:
* If it is a bulkhead screw, then remove all of the rest of the screws and twist the bulkhead in a counter clockwise rotation around the stuck screw to loosen the tension. This normally will loosen it enough to unscrew it with the allen wrench cocked to the side or you can use a small flat head screw driver and tap it into the stripped head.
* place a little CA and your wrench tip into the stripped head and let it dry well. Then use vice grip pliers to securely hold the wrench handle and apply better torque while pushing against the wrench hard and unscrewing the screw.
* use a thin dremel cutting wheel to cut a slot in the head and use a flat head screwdriver to unscrew it.

Note: I always use the vice grip method, without CA of course, to unscrew my top and bottom bulkhead screws and it helps them to resist stripping better. And I highly recommend using a Q-tip to apply a thin layer of CA into all counter sunk screw holes in the chassis and top deck. This helps the screws to grip the CF plates better with less applied torque, and subsequently allows them to be unscrewed without as much force.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 05:20:50 

well it is part number 904306. I have four screws stripped the second back ones holding the rear bulkheads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 06:36:15 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 17:08:53 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 17:56:31 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 20:11:18 

i use hudy drivers, and have stripped lots of screws, so far iv been lucky and havent had to buy new bulkheads, but i got so fed up that i fitted screws out of my old yokomo into the '05, since then iv not had a hint of a probem, so that to me says that the xray screws are pants!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 20:34:22 

yeah i have stripped screws aswell i have a few of the black coated screws but havent tried them yet but i think i will be trying them if i strip another screw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 21:35:33 

how did you all get the stripped ones out of your car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 02:03:01 

well luckily for me the screws were only half stripped, so being very careful aloud me to get them out without filling or drilling.

but if your screws are really stuck, then u could use a cutting tool and cut a slot into the screw so that you can use a conventional screw driver to remove it.

Post subject: Grease
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 06:10:50 

3 years of Xray loyalty

Have one bulkhead ruined by striped screw.

The problem is not the chassie it is the metal to metal contact.
Between the screw and bulkhead.

A little, very little, amount of diff grease on each bulkhead screw.

Never had a striped screw since. They stay tight and should never be over tightened.

This works, period, no more problems.

Trickpatrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:59:02 

Hello Guys,

after stripping screws on my FK04 i changed to stainless steel screws and never ever strip any screw!! BTW i use only Hudy Tools!

OK the wight increased but on the deepest point, better then adding wight above the Chassis :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 16:26:50 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 01:36:22 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 05:47:07 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 21:34:44 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 19:50:53 

I agree with user xraytifk05. A good set of wrenches will solve all your problems. I personally use losi wrenches. I would buy Hudy wrenches but my local HS wount order xray stuff.

P.S. where I race xrays outnumbers losis and associated cars and the hobby town has two little hooks for xray parts and about 200 for losi and associated. so goetting husy tools is nearly impossible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 20:15:07 

The only time I've stripped screws since switching to the hudy wrench is when I was in a hurry and didn't take my time to apply pressure at a constant 90 degree angle.

I actually use softer titanium screws for the standoffs and upper deck. As long as I CA the sunken holes first and take my time initially breaking the seal of the screws, I don't have any problems.

However, I have observed several local "ham" fisted, heavy handed, drivers strip their screws because they simply don't have the patience to control their hands with force. I used to be one of them until I permanently destroyed a screw hole in my right rear bulkhead. Now my car has to suffer from ridicule every time someone responds to seeing pics of it with a missing top deck mounting screw. :cry:

One day I'll get up the nerve to buy a whole new set. But since my lap times haven't suffered, oh well...lost some weight! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 04:59:47