[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - Hot motor

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 06:20:54

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hot motor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 00:23:57 

My motor is quite hot when it comes off after 5mins
I am running a hobby wing 17.5t motor with a fan. I haven't had a temp gun on it so can't give a exact reading but is hot to the touch. I am geared at 3.8 which is around what the others are geared at but with different motors.

So the question is would I go up or down a toothe on the gearing to get in down a bit on the heat but not lose the performance

Post subject: Re: Hot motor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45:17 

You'd gear down (smaller pinion) or reduce the timing to reduce the heat. Reducing the timing is usually the best way of cutting heat for the smallest loss of laptime.

But you should get a temp gun. Any motor is going to feel hot after a race. If you can touch it without burning your finger it's probably okay! 70deg is a safe limit for most motors. Some can manage a lot more than that.

Post subject: Re: Hot motor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:39:12 

The fact that you cannot touch it does not necessarily mean that it is too hot. Some motors like LRP/Nosram work fine up to 100 degrees. I would advise you to use a temp gun.