[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 611: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
XRAY - Model racing cars • View topic - New T3 2012 - Need setup help

XRAY - Model racing cars

It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 00:20:46

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: New T3 2012 - Need setup help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 07:27:17 

Hello

I posted this question at RC Tech, but I would like some more advice from Xray owners please.
I ran my T3 for the first time on the weekend and would like some help and advice. I used the stock asphalt setting recommended in the kit, with the following differences -

Alloy shocks, 35W Associated oil all round with 3 hole 1.2 pistons, stock springs
Droop 6 front, 5 rear (on the droop gauge, not the ORH method)
1,000cst diff oil
Ride & Sorex 36 tyres
1 degree negative camber front, 2 degree negative rear
1 degree toe in (front)
Ride height 5mm front, 5.5mm rear

I'm racing at TFTR, current track layout is track 2 reversed http://www.tftr.org.au/index.php?p=1_46 . The track is bumpy in places and the asphalt is also cracking in some areas. I'm running in the 21.5 boosted class. Track surface temps are 40 degrees C + during the afternoon (it's summer down here in Australia).

The car has plenty of on-power steering and rotation, but that doesn't suit my driving style at all. I have a classic "slow in, fast out" style, and I want the front end of the car to do the steering, not the rear. With my current setup, there's plenty of traction and steering if I hit the throttle on or before the apex of the corner, but if I corner using my style of driving, there's no rear end stability or traction. High speed stability and turn in is good.

I did not want to blindly throw setups at the car. It was my first club meeting with the car, and I wanted to get a good feel for the standard setup and what I wanted to change before making changes.

Using the advice some people have given me, I'm thinking of moving up to 40w oil all round and lengthening the rear camber link one hole in on the bearing cap, and/or adding a shim under the ballstud.

And suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: New T3 2012 - Need setup help
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 18:28:00 

Hello,

the first thing is that from my experience you can't run Sorex AND Ride absolute confidently with one and the same setup. The Rides are awesome, too, but need some more setup work against traction rolling.
For your driving style I would do the following to your actual setup:

1) Check the starting punch mode of your ESC. Maybe you just have to go down one or two steps and everything is fine.

2a) - harder ARB in the front (or harder springs in the front). The harder springs would give a more direct feel with better chassis roll in low speed corners and hairpins compared to the harder ARB.
2b) - 1.5° negative camber in the rear. Could be that you have too much camber and the chassis rolls not enough to completely roll on the whole tyre surface in slow to medium fast corners.
2c) - In case your track has high-speed bumps, use slightly thinner oil toghether with 1.1 pistons in the front.

Always step by step with the setup steps.

Just try and report again if you want.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 17:54:41 

Hi I think if you change your front toe to 1 degree toe out you will find evrything will be fine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:27:14 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 02:33:25 

Thanks to all. Based upon my research on the 'net and the suggestions here and on rc tech, I have made the following changes (and why) -

increase oil weight to 40W all round & 1.1 3 hole pistons (to better handle the warmer temperatures and to slow down the suspension response into the corner)
remove 1mm bump steer shim (from 2mm to 1mm - slow down steering response)
move rear camber link in one hole on the rear bulkhead ballstud and add 1mm shim (to lower the roll centre for more rear grip)
increase rear droop from 5 to 4 (recommended to me by another Xray driver at my track when he observed my car during the race)
move top of rear shock in one hole on the rear shock tower (to get more rear side bite)
front - 1 degree toe out

The car is 90% there. I just need more rear end traction in mid corner and exiting the corner with my preferred driving style. My first race meeting after the holidays is after the New Year break in January, I'll see how the changes have improved the car.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 18:21:01 

Given where you are now I think I would try 5 or 5.5 droop on the front followed by 35w oil in the rear shocks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27:56 

Just wanted everyone to know that after some setup changes and tweaking, today I did a PB time in 3 races and beat my best lap time by 2 tenths of a second with 0.7 consistency. The car now is absolutely fabulous - just the right amount of steering and perfect traction and stability.

Loving this car 8)